Emergency Distress when out nowhere

Camping, fishing and outdoor recreational activities. Tips, equipment, accessories, hiking and outdoor cooking.

Emergency Distress when out nowhere

Post by DHN » 27 Mar 2019, 10:21 am

I am thinking about buying items for use in an emergency when out bushwalking or hunting, incase something bad happens like getting bitten by a snake or falling off a cliff.

Already have Gaitors to protect from snake bites and ticks.
I have a 2m by 2m Orange Tarp that can make it easier to find me. And a metalic mirror like tarp. Have a 5w CB Radio.

Thinking of getting a Personal Location Beacon (PLB) and maybe a satellite messaging device like a InReach mini.

Also thinking of buying 1 or 2 smoke flares, but not sure if it is legal to buy and posses smoke flares for purpose of potentially using in an emergency when out in the bush, such as making it easier for a helicopter to find you out in middle of nowhere.?

Anyone know if can take smoke flares? If limited to specific smoke flares?

Feel free to suggest some other useful devices/tools that are practical to carry and useful in such emergency situations (and which are hopefully legal to have/use).
Looking for Bow Hunting Buddies/properties.
Have R licence.
DHN
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Emergency Distress when out nowhere

Post by JSS » 27 Mar 2019, 11:38 am

I've got an ACR ResQlink plb that i take on my jetski if we're going out to one of the islands or doing long runs somewhere, they're nice & small and are good for peace of mind.
There are also handheld gps units available that you can send text messages from, every text you send has your gps location attached. A mate has one as part of his safety gear on his yacht & it works globally.
JSS
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 27 Mar 2019, 12:51 pm

It’s been a while since I bought flares for my boat but there was no licenceing criteria at the time and I can’t imagine there is a warning sticker on the flare stating you must be in a boat to activate them .....an on land emergency is a genuine emergency
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by hzj80 » 27 Mar 2019, 1:02 pm

+1 for ACR ResQlink. My daughter calls it "the helicopter button".
hzj80
Recruit
Recruit

-

Post by No1_49er » 27 Mar 2019, 1:19 pm

Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by hzj80 » 27 Mar 2019, 1:51 pm

No1_49er wrote:Or something like this: -
https://www.arnoldsboatshop.com.au/spot ... DAQAvD_BwE

Wow, that's cheap isn't it?
hzj80
Recruit
Recruit

-

Post by No1_49er » 27 Mar 2019, 3:19 pm

hzj80 wrote:

And it seems to have pretty good capabilities, as well.
There really is no need, nowadays, to jack up the price of electronic equipment, of any sort, because of its "perceived" value.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 27 Mar 2019, 3:37 pm

Mate a PLB is a great idea, I carry one religiously when out and about. They are registered to you personally, so AusSAR know who and what they are looking for. I would recommend the PLB that sends GPS position so you are not relying on satellite triangulation. Beats the hell out of waiting for someone to notice you’re missing. As for flares, just go to a boating shop and get a pack of flares / smoke. No restrictions on buying them.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 27 Mar 2019, 4:34 pm

I want to buy one of these but I don’t want the antis tracking my every step / movement in my special hunting locations... :sarcasm:
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by JSS » 27 Mar 2019, 5:28 pm

TassieTiger wrote:I want to buy one of these but I don’t want the antis tracking my every step / movement in my special hunting locations... :sarcasm:

That's easily fixed Tas just get the "special" edition ones, they come with a very stylish tin foil hat :lol: :lol: :drinks:
JSS
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Roo farmer » 27 Mar 2019, 8:40 pm

Obviously you wouldn't care in an emergency, but how much does it cost you when you press the helicopter button?
Roo farmer
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by JimTom » 27 Mar 2019, 8:45 pm

Roo farmer wrote:Obviously you wouldn't care in an emergency, but how much does it cost you when you press the helicopter button?

Zero
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Bent Arrow » 27 Mar 2019, 9:05 pm

hzj80 wrote:

I have a SPOT 3 and a PLB. Both are good, but cover very different needs. Be aware that with the SPOT, there is an annual subscription fee that you have to pay. From memory it was $315 last year. Unless you going to use it a lot for keeping in touch when it remote area, it's hard to justify, and arguably not the go to option for an "emergency" beacon. That's what the PLB is for.
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Baronvonrort » 27 Mar 2019, 9:25 pm

A PLB is good at least they will find your body if you die before a chopper arrives. :sarcasm:
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by mickb » 27 Apr 2019, 10:51 pm

I got a PLB and a thuraya satellite phone, extravagant just for hunting but can be used for road trips, camping, cyclones etc.$15 service fee a month, calls and texts extra , has Australian standard mobile phone number for recieving.

I do multiday backpacking remote which is a different sport from normal hunting or camping, you are onto weight limits for everything.. One thing I learnt is the time you get lost or injured is the time you wandered too far from you supplies for them to be useful, usually because "you weren't intending to wander that far anyway". I got lost in 2001 west of dalby on a large cattle property. My mate who visitied it regularly didnt know the terrain as well as he thought and a 5 minute walk up the creekbed 'just to check for sign' turned into a night in the dark with no water stumbling around. If I'm hunting the middle of nowhere these days, I have a fanny pack on if I am leaving sight of my main supplies.

It carries
1. First aid gear in mini ziplock bag
2. PLB
3 Whistle( not much puff in the lungs for calling nearby rescuers if you are half way down a slope with cracked ribs.)
4. Signal mirror.
5. Manual compass, silva type
6. Small multitool.
7. Mini Head torch
8. Extrex 20 GPS.

Another thing too is to practice what you are using. Set the stuff up and test it( not setting off the PLB of course) make sure its handy. I knew another coupke guys who sunk a powerboat 30km offshore. It flipped over for some reason and there were left sitting on top of it doing diving trips underneath the boat to pull out lifejackets and eperb which was all tied down and stacked in compartments... lucky he was good at holding his breath.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by GQshayne » 28 Apr 2019, 9:35 pm

The SPOT fees are pretty nasty, but the Garmin version has a flexi type plan that you just activate when you need it. So for those of us that may only need it a few times a year it will work out much more economical. That was my determination of it anyway.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by DHN » 08 May 2019, 7:00 pm

I think that Garmins is 2 way communication, whereas Spot is 1 way (can send but not receive) (for Australia).
I think Garmins tells you if message successively received, but with Spot you just dont know if it got through.
(All above is unsure if correct :?: , info based on watching youtube video reviews).
As a result I've decided i will buy a PLB and hopefully never need to use it.
Looking for Bow Hunting Buddies/properties.
Have R licence.
DHN
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Bent Arrow » 08 May 2019, 7:26 pm

DHN wrote:I think that Garmins is 2 way communication, whereas Spot is 1 way (can send but not receive) (for Australia).
I think Garmins tells you if message successively received, but with Spot you just dont know if it got through.
(All above is unsure if correct :?: , info based on watching youtube video reviews).
As a result I've decided i will buy a PLB and hopefully never need to use it.

The spot is definitely one-way. I use mine regularly for work safety call in procedures. It tells you that the message has been sent, and you can choose who to send it to and how (SMS and/or email). In over five years of using one on multiple trips per year, I've never had a message not been received. If all you want is an option for SOS, just buy a PLB or EPIRB.
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by flutch » 08 May 2019, 7:30 pm

personal epirb and or sat phone, epirb will ALWAYS bring the cavalry, where as there is no guarantee you will be able to use the sat phone sufficiently.
Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy
flutch
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by YoungBuck » 09 May 2019, 12:51 pm

flutch wrote:personal epirb and or sat phone, epirb will ALWAYS bring the cavalry, where as there is no guarantee you will be able to use the sat phone sufficiently.

Only when out doing marine activities... epirbs are for the water.
PLBs are for land.
It'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen, and it's pointed straight at your head!
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by flutch » 09 May 2019, 12:55 pm

YoungBuck wrote:
flutch wrote:personal epirb and or sat phone, epirb will ALWAYS bring the cavalry, where as there is no guarantee you will be able to use the sat phone sufficiently.

PLBs are for land.

f*** alright s**t sake, you know what I meant...
Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy
flutch
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by YoungBuck » 09 May 2019, 4:53 pm

flutch wrote:
YoungBuck wrote:

PLBs are for land.

f*** alright s**t sake, you know what I meant...

No offense intended and not trying to correct you just to be a c*nt but you would be surprised at the amount of people who don't know the difference and think epirb is for all scenarios.
It'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen, and it's pointed straight at your head!
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 09 May 2019, 6:01 pm

So why are kayakers recommended to utilise a PLB - not an EPIRB?

Sorry...maybe I am being a cun lol.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by JimTom » 09 May 2019, 7:55 pm

They are fundamentally the same. The exception being that one is registered to a vessel and the other to a person, and an EPIRB is designed to float whereas a PLB may not.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by YoungBuck » 10 May 2019, 7:38 am

TassieTiger wrote:So why are kayakers recommended to utilise a PLB - not an EPIRB?

Sorry...maybe I am being a cun lol.

Generally < 2 nautical miles from land. PLB recommended.
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Bent Arrow » 10 May 2019, 8:53 am

The idea that EPIRBS are just for boats, and PLB's are just for on land is a misdirection. For boats that are offshore, the legal requirement under SOLAS is for an EPIRB. A PLB does not meet that requirement. As explained above, PLB's typically don't float, and because of their compact size, transmit for a much shorter period of time than a EPIRB (typically around half the transmit time). Either can be used to send an SOS on terrestrial or marine situations.

The kicker is this, if you have a PLB on your belt, and you're offshore, your boat still needs an EPIRB to be compliant. Given most kayakers probably don't go offshore, there is no legal requirement for an EPIRB, and the PLB should be attached to the paddler, not the kayak. EPIRB's have automatic activation if submerged, PLB's do not. If you fall out but aren't in imminent danger, you dont want your EPIRB telling the world you need help.......
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Return to Camping, fishing and outdoor recreation