Fire pits

Camping, fishing and outdoor recreational activities. Tips, equipment, accessories, hiking and outdoor cooking.

Fire pits

Post by Blr243 » 09 May 2019, 9:25 pm

I never had one. Don't know jack about them. I'm about to spend a week on a new bush block. I will probably be in an area where I don't want to be leaving a great big pile of ash on the ground. And I don't want anyone wondering if I am going to be leaving hot ash unattended. I want to play it safe. I see bunnings have fire pits with tight mesh lids which appeal to me from a safety aspect. It definitely not going to be as nice as looking at a real fire but it will have to do. Are head beads fuel ? Do. I have to buy fuel of some sort or charcoal to get the heat beads going. There is a possibility I will be occasionally useing the pit heating food on a fry pan but mostly it will be just something to look at when I'm sitting under the stars with my dog ,,,', Can someone offer advice please?
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Re: Fire pits

Post by bigfellascott » 09 May 2019, 9:59 pm

1/2 a 44 gal drum with big holes 50mm or slightly bigger drilled around it and you will have the best heat output you could imagine, so much so you will probably be sitting a good 3m or more away from it they put out that much heat (I live in a cold climate and these are by far the best way to keep ya warm) seriously good heat output. :thumbsup:

bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by duncan61 » 09 May 2019, 10:47 pm

old top loader washing machines had a stainless steel inner tub that are real good.Only problem is they can be real hot and it doesnt show like a 44
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Stix » 10 May 2019, 1:05 am

I could be wrong on this BLR, its probably best answered by a bbq/weber cooking expert, but my take is...
Ithink heat beads are more a cooking fuel mate...i always cook on coals, & heat beads are designed to be just like hot coals but last longer...they will burn, but not a flame, they burn away to ash.
Heat beads are another alternative to charcoal, so charcoal will be much the same--burn, but like coals--no real flame--good for cooking.
But it can take a bit to get heat beads or charcoal going--thats why they have charcoal starters...or use a butane blow torch to get them going.

If im going to need wood for cooking, i sometimes take 300mm long hardwood decking off-cuts & split them into 3 or 4 sticks--they give great heat & get to coals quick & dont burn for too long.

I notice ALDI had a fire pit a couple of weeks ago--it looked a reasonable size for camping & it came with a mesh lid to help stop flying embers & also came with a grill plate for cooking i think...from memory it was about $80-i was gonna buy one but i already cart enough crap around & would have to take my trailer if it came with me.

When i make a fire & have to leave it, i dig a bit of a hole & build up sides with rocks if any around.
When i leave it, i put a bbq plate over it to keep embers in as best as possible...i also dont burn big heavy wood that lasts ages--that makes for a PITA to re-light it when back from spotlighting, but have peace of mind.

I think buying a metal fire pit would be better than a hole in the ground for heating, but i couldnt be stuffed carting one with me.

Youve got me thinking now i should have got one of the aldi ones...lol...i love aldi...lol

If youve got room to take a fire pit, take one-it will give you the peice of mind you're after... :thumbsup:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Blr243 » 10 May 2019, 4:08 pm

I will take a map gas torch to kick things of easier. And I will go buy a bag of charcoal and a bag of beads and I will give it a go. Thanks for the tips.
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 10 May 2019, 6:56 pm

Blr243 wrote:I will take a map gas torch to kick things of easier. And I will go buy a bag of charcoal and a bag of beads and I will give it a go. Thanks for the tips.

Don't do it on a cold night or you will freeze to death if that's all your using for a heat source. :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by TassieTiger » 10 May 2019, 7:57 pm

I’ve gone the other way - I dug a 1.5m diameter hole, about 1 metre deep. Put a couple stones in the bottom, few large rocks around the top...wind doesn’t effect it and I can push two forks in the ground for a bloody good cooking spit or use as a hungy cooker if I want something different....Couple ole bbq plates lay across the top to keep some water / rain out. Depends on your ground as to whether suits you.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Blr243 » 10 May 2019, 8:29 pm

Thanks for the tip re heat source and freezing to death. I will source some good old fashion firewood too. At least I know how it will behave. And if it all fails I can forget it and jump into my swag with my dog at look at the stars instead .......it's so good to have finished work now and be prepping for my trip In less than 48 hours my dog and I will be putting around on the quad in second gear . Stopping occasionally with binocs to scan the paddocks for pigs
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 10 May 2019, 10:13 pm

Blr243 wrote:Thanks for the tip re heat source and freezing to death. I will source some good old fashion firewood too. At least I know how it will behave. And if it all fails I can forget it and jump into my swag with my dog at look at the stars instead .......it's so good to have finished work now and be prepping for my trip In less than 48 hours my dog and I will be putting around on the quad in second gear . Stopping occasionally with binocs to scan the paddocks for pigs

Good luck with the hunt mate, definitely use firewood, the beads are really only good for cooking on, the firewood is good for both cooking and keeping warm, the trick with cooking with coals from a fire is to get a few shovels full and put it out to the side of the main fire (so you can cook without being cooked as it were) and if you need more heat you just add more coals - simple really. :drinks:

Good luck and we look forward to seeing some pics of all the fun. :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Return to Camping, fishing and outdoor recreation