Alcohol/Wood Stove in the Alpines

Camping, fishing and outdoor recreational activities. Tips, equipment, accessories, hiking and outdoor cooking.

Re: Alcohol/Wood Stove in the Alpines

Post by RoginaJack » 26 Jul 2019, 8:40 pm

[quote="on_one_wheel"]+ 1 on the fire

I bought myself a new 1 litre Billy can from the SSAA magazine... best billy can I've ever had.

It's a ROYCE RIMFIRE Bush Kettle

...Thanks, I've been looking at this too and glad to see someone field tested one, so to speak....
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by winton » 06 Aug 2019, 12:23 pm

albat wrote:I reckon for the little bit of weight you save it's not worth stuffing around. Go the gas,

Lots of overnighters have raved about the jetboil. Light, fast boil and in all sorts of conditions. No need for a wind screen

https://jetboil.johnsonoutdoors.com/sto ... m?id=12601
winton
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Bruiser64 » 10 Aug 2019, 1:50 am

winton wrote:
Bruiser64 wrote:You can use an alcohol stove in an alpine environment. I have a Trangia which I have owned for nearly 30 years. The trick with them is to warm the filled burner up by having it close to your body. Trangia burners have a lid that you screw on to close, so there’s no risk of spillage. Otherwise you would look to use a liquid fuel stove like an MSR Whisperlite. I also own one of them. They work well, but are a bit more fiddling about to use than the Trangia. As I live in WA, there is zero ability to camp in an Alpine environment here, which is why I mainly use the Trangia these days.

A trangia brings we back to the good ol days. They are a little big for my own solo use nowadays.

Is the trick you are talking about is to ensure proper priming of the stove?

I use a converted beer can stove now. Was wondering how it would hold up in the Alpine enviro. Hasn't been tested.

I think it is because the alcohol just won’t ignite easily if it is very cold. If you warm up the metho by having the burner next to your body, that addresses that issue.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by winton » 13 Aug 2019, 7:13 pm

Bruiser64 wrote:
I think it is because the alcohol just won’t ignite easily if it is very cold. If you warm up the metho by having the burner next to your body, that addresses that issue.

Thanks for the reply. Thats good advice. I have figured a way to do the priming by using glass fibre string wrap around the outside of the stove which I will soak with alcohol and light to warm it up. Again, I have not tested it myself yet, but that is what the youtube suggestions are. They call it a cold weather wrap. It wasn't easy to get this glass fibre string. Had to get some from the states snail mail.

I'm going to investigate this jetboil and use the alcohol as a backup.
winton
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 13 Aug 2019, 8:44 pm

One thing with the burners of that design you have pictured (at least previously) once the gas bottle is fitted it has to stay fitted. A reak pain for packing it up and carrying it in a pack. The primus one at the time was able to have the gas bottle removed without problem and made easy packing. They were more like the little Chinese stoves in the way the gas bottle fitted only they stood vertically

Both of these and all the LPG burners suffer.at high altitude and cold weather. The better stove is a shellite stove with some priming paste just like tooth paste but you put it in the little well around the top of the unit and set it al-lite, It both warms everything up but also creates a bit more pressure.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Previous

Return to Camping, fishing and outdoor recreation