Trail Foods & Camp Cooking. Share your ideas.

Camping, fishing and outdoor recreational activities. Tips, equipment, accessories, hiking and outdoor cooking.

Trail Foods & Camp Cooking. Share your ideas.

Post by Keith » 04 Jun 2019, 9:23 am

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less travelled by,
and that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost.
http://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com/
Keith
Private
Private

New South Wales

Re: Trail Foods & Camp Cooking. Share your ideas.

Post by Stix » 04 Jun 2019, 4:44 pm

Well im not much into cooking up lead shot Keith.. :sarcasm:
And although i love a fire & cooking over one, i love afternoon sniping bunnies & spotlighting even more, so i dont usually spend a lot of time doing the night cooking...i spend my time cooking over a fire during mid-morning/lunch to knock up a good feed of bacon-n-eggs...

But if im away for more than one night, on the first nights cooking, ill be sure to throw on at least a half dozen snags & shazliks over & above what im going to eat for that meal, & throw them in the fridge/esky wrapped in a plastic bag...that way if the tummy gets a little too grumpy & im too busy to tend to it, i can quickly & easily wrap a snag or 2 in a slice or 2 of bread, lube em up with a squirt of sauce & drop them down the feed tube to temporarily tame the beasts that lurk within...

Cooking a few extra snags & having them on hand is second to the guns n ammo on my multi-day trips away, as they can be so versatile in the 'quick feed on the fly' stakes.....can chop em up & "toss" them through a can of baked beans...slice them in half length ways, re-heat them if you desire, stack on some tomato lettuce & cheese with the madatory tomato or bbq sauce lube, & build a quick sausage burger with em...
Also handy for the trip home too, especially if in a hurry & dont want to stop on the way back to bricks-ville...
:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 04 Jun 2019, 7:01 pm

:D I like my garlic and chilli prawns when out camping, also love stews, baked roasts etc and of course the good ol bacon, eggs and sausages for breakfast along with my jaffles and of course we often make pizzas whilst camping for something different and we also love our scones and cream and jam too, even cook up cakes if there's someone's birthday whilst out there.

Anything you can cook at home you can pretty much cook camping so no need to limit yourself to baked beans or packets of bloody 2min noodles.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by wrenchman » 05 Jun 2019, 6:19 am

the opening day of gun deer season we have a big camp if weather allows cook with the dutch ovens a nice roast potatos and carrots and upside down pineapple cake
Attachments
FB_IMG_1470879311604.jpg
FB_IMG_1470879311604.jpg (39.18 KiB) Viewed 2956 times
FB_IMG_1470879347372.jpg
FB_IMG_1470879347372.jpg (34.97 KiB) Viewed 2956 times
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by PaddyT » 05 Jun 2019, 11:06 am

if im out for one or two nights it something from a can or if possible leftovers from home that can be reheated- like stew or pasta . If im out for longer then i cook - snags, steak, whatever with a couple of potatoes in foil. Had a can on the weekend of "big red " pepper steak and onion- pretty good, also a fan of Stagg Chilli in the can.
PaddyT
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by mickb » 15 Jun 2019, 11:02 pm

Camping foods, anything. Trail foods as in backpacking trails for multi-nighters I pack the usual expedition/hiking fair. Low water content, high cal, long shelf life condensed foods. Beef Jerky, tortilla bread, honey, peanut butter, condensed milk, nuts, seeds, electroyte powder, vitamins. Tastey not , but keeps you moving.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Bruiser64 » 16 Jun 2019, 8:03 pm

Most of my camping is done off my motorcycle. I am doing a four day backroads trip through the WA wheatbelt/Goldfields in a fortnight. Although I enjoy cooking at home, on the road I can’t be arsed. For me, I just heat up Stagg Chilli beans and microwave rice for dinner. Have muesli bars for lunch and either cereal or some other tinned delight for brekkie. A mate of mine l have done quite a few bike trips with (observing my limited camp food selection), was gobsmacked when I invited him and his wife for a curry night. He had no idea I know how to cook. He just assumed that because I eat tinned ****** on the road I was clueless. My take on it, is the point of a motorcycle camping trip is being on the bike out in the bush. I can wait until I get home to have a decent meal. I don’t use the freeze dried hiking meals as they are expensive and really give no weight saving due to the weight of the water you need to add. Where I ride there is no water at the campsites and you have to carry it with you. With tinned food it is already hydrated. With dirt road touring you are trying to keep the weight down, so carrying an ice with an esky isn’t an option. So taking perishable food can be a bit problematic.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by mickb » 17 Jun 2019, 4:42 pm

I agree dried foods are more useful for long term backpacking on foot. The ability to separate water contents from solids allows some flexibility with planning. Humans can't carry more than a couple days water, long term in the field means using environmental sources or re-supplies regularly. Having dry solids separated from the water allows the ability to plan around how much environmental water there is.

Eg if I am trekking decent water ways or supplied trails I can carry less water. Even 3litres less is 3kg more solids, an extra 3 days in the field.

On the other hand carrying hydrated foods, you can't take the water out when you don't need it...

The other thing is reducing superlfuous packaging weight. Bulk dry foods in large quantities cut down on packaging, since they dont go off you can open and re-open the one big packet. Water logged food goes off much quicker, you are carrying many smaller packets. Every 100 grams of packets is the same as 2 hours food walking.

All just expedition principles which probably have very little to do with the conversation, but it is a Monday :D
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Blr243 » 17 Jun 2019, 8:21 pm

I always take a pkt of 40 birds eye fish fingers. To fry up in olive oil. Cheap easy and quick And tinned pea and ham soup in winter
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Return to Camping, fishing and outdoor recreation