Plinking in Victorian state forests (wombat state forest)

Camping, fishing and outdoor recreational activities. Tips, equipment, accessories, hiking and outdoor cooking.

Plinking in Victorian state forests (wombat state forest)

Post by Gun-nut » 28 Jun 2019, 9:12 pm

G'day everyone,

Was thinking about heading out to wombat state forest this weekend and bringing the .22 for a quick plink. Was just wondering on the legalities of doing so. It's my understanding that you are fine to do so in state forests, as long as you are "sighting in your rifle", not setting up a massive range and blazing all day. Was wondering what people's experiences are, particularly in wombat state forest?

Cheers in advance.
Gun-nut
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Plinking in Victorian state forests (wombat state forest

Post by xDom » 28 Jun 2019, 9:27 pm

Just be sensible about it and you’ll be fine.
Be clear of houses, camps and humans and it shouldn’t be an issue.
In the extremely unlikely event that a DELWP dude comes along, just tell him that your eBay scope is probably a dud. Hence requiring multiple shots to sight it in.
I’ve gone out in local State forest with a 22LR and have come across bushwalkers. I simply explained to them in an extremely non threatening manner that I was just there to sight in my rifle and they were fine.
If there were a a group of us knocking back cans, I’m sure they would have been a little more concerned.
It’s all about the visuals.
xDom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: Plinking in Victorian state forests (wombat state forest

Post by TassieTiger » 28 Jun 2019, 9:54 pm

Few years back I got absolutely hounded out of a state forest for sighting in - three Bush walkers went absolutely mental at me.
I tried to show them my permits etc and told them I was legally allowed to be there and they just wouldn’t have it.

I left and rang the police who asked me if I’d accompany them back there because they would charge them with harassment etc.

I didn’t bother but you can’t be too careful - a couple lying pricks and you could lose your licence...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Return to Camping, fishing and outdoor recreation