Anyone backpack with a rifle?

Camping, fishing and outdoor recreational activities. Tips, equipment, accessories, hiking and outdoor cooking.

Anyone backpack with a rifle?

Post by mickb » 06 Aug 2019, 9:02 pm

Not an overly common style of hunting. I'm referring to extended hikes or overnighters. I got a 22/410 for the purpose of shooting small stuff hiking across large properties up here. Probably going to sell it though- not accurate enough, and some warranty issues. The yanks tend to be more into this stuff as despite having stricter regs on large game they are able to plug a lot of their numerous small native game and birds at will. Curious to hear about anyone elses setups.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Re: Anyone backpack with a rifle?

Post by bladeracer » 06 Aug 2019, 10:03 pm

mickb wrote:Not an overly common style of hunting. I'm referring to extended hikes or overnighters. I got a 22/410 for the purpose of shooting small stuff hiking across large properties up here. Probably going to sell it though- not accurate enough, and some warranty issues. The yanks tend to be more into this stuff as despite having stricter regs on large game they are able to plug a lot of their numerous small native game and birds at will. Curious to hear about anyone elses setups.

My Norinco JW21 lever .22LR breaks down into two halves pretty neatly for a backup rifle, just one screw. But I much prefer to just take reduced loads in whichever caliber my rifle is for when something else pops up. I don't consider the .410 to have any value at all in the field, I had one as a kid. Slugs have a decent punch, but with poor accuracy, so an accurate .22LR would usually do a better job. And as a shotgun for moving targets, range and energy are pretty woeful so you'd be better off letting the animal/bird stop, then hit it accurately with a .22LR.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 07 Aug 2019, 9:44 am

You bought a chiappa hey....
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by mickb » 07 Aug 2019, 3:40 pm

bladeracer wrote:
mickb wrote:Not an overly common style of hunting. I'm referring to extended hikes or overnighters. I got a 22/410 for the purpose of shooting small stuff hiking across large properties up here. Probably going to sell it though- not accurate enough, and some warranty issues. The yanks tend to be more into this stuff as despite having stricter regs on large game they are able to plug a lot of their numerous small native game and birds at will. Curious to hear about anyone elses setups.

My Norinco JW21 lever .22LR breaks down into two halves pretty neatly for a backup rifle, just one screw. But I much prefer to just take reduced loads in whichever caliber my rifle is for when something else pops up. I don't consider the .410 to have any value at all in the field, I had one as a kid. Slugs have a decent punch, but with poor accuracy, so an accurate .22LR would usually do a better job. And as a shotgun for moving targets, range and energy are pretty woeful so you'd be better off letting the animal/bird stop, then hit it accurately with a .22LR.

What sort of accuracy is the Jw21 Bladeracer, might be worth a look. Can it be scoped? Also what is the dissassembly like, a single screw/pretty quick? 410 is not too bad at close range here being rainforest. And if something is incoming the 410 barrel has some backup utility. That said, I am considering a dedicated 22LR again.

Also two relatives of mine got the norincos, I was very impressed with the appearance, a decent Winchester knockoff. However both rifles front sights were skewed, and needed replacing. How were yours?
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by mickb » 07 Aug 2019, 3:53 pm

bigpete wrote:You bought a chiappa hey....

Yes mate, against better judgement. I had been critical of chiappas for a while, some of their models need work, some of them seem to do better. The Double badger seemed to get pretty good reviews. The big sell for me was its one of the few completely folding combo guns with two triggers. Meaning it fits in a space as short as 50cm long with instant deployability from where it is tucked away, and no mucking about with barrel selectors. Unfold and fire. The wood on it is great, but to date the firing pin has been problematic, and accuracy is so-so. I wasn't expecting it to shoot like a bolt action, but closer to an average lever action would have been nice.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by bladeracer » 07 Aug 2019, 4:22 pm

mickb wrote:My Norinco JW21 lever .22LR breaks down into two halves pretty neatly for a backup rifle, just one screw. But I much prefer to just take reduced loads in whichever caliber my rifle is for when something else pops up. I don't consider the .410 to have any value at all in the field, I had one as a kid. Slugs have a decent punch, but with poor accuracy, so an accurate .22LR would usually do a better job. And as a shotgun for moving targets, range and energy are pretty woeful so you'd be better off letting the animal/bird stop, then hit it accurately with a .22LR.

What sort of accuracy is the Jw21 Bladeracer, might be worth a look. Can it be scoped? Also what is the dissassembly like, a single screw/pretty quick? 410 is not too bad at close range here being rainforest. And if something is incoming the 410 barrel has some backup utility. That said, I am considering a dedicated 22LR again.

Also two relatives of mine got the norincos, I was very impressed with the appearance, a decent Winchester knockoff. However both rifles front sights were skewed, and needed replacing. How were yours?[/quote]

Not as accurate as my bolt-actions, and I primarily shoot it with the Williams peep sight, but it can be scoped as it has dovetails. You could put pic rails on the dovetail and then use QD scope rings so you can also break-down the scope for packing. I have tried a reflex sight on it with expected results, about 45mm groups at 50m, not atrocious but not precise either.
Dovetail pic rails.JPG
Dovetail pic rails.JPG (41.81 KiB) Viewed 5379 times

Scoped, the rifle gets right around 30mm at 50m, so 2MoA, with the peep I'm around 50mm at 50m with CCI SV. These are off the bench.
I bought the rifle specifically for offhand at steel silhouettes, for which its accuracy is perfectly acceptable. The only live target I've used it on was a 46kg 'roo that was cleaned up badly by a quarry truck.

Yes, it's a Chinese licenced copy of the Winchester 9422, exactly the same in all aspects - a neighbour has a 9422M I've compared it to.

No problem with the front sight, but I did file it down from 70-thou wide to 40-thou for better precision.

Diassembly is a single screw through the receiver, the bolt and carrier remain in the receiver. I've been trying to get another OEM screw to modify into a wing-nut arrangement, but the screw is pretty easily worked with as it's quite large.
JW21 takedown screw.jpg
JW21 takedown screw.jpg (1.21 MiB) Viewed 5379 times

A minor downer is that you can't carry it broken down with the mag loaded. I keep wanting to shoot a short video showing how quickly it can be assembled, loaded and fired - one day. A slightly bigger downer is the 20" barrel, but with the benefit of 15rd mag capacity (I cut mine down to 5rd) and sight radius. If you could cut the barrel down to 16" both halves of the rifle would be closer to the same length.
JW21 broken down.jpg
JW21 broken down.jpg (343.41 KiB) Viewed 5379 times
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 07 Aug 2019, 5:28 pm

mickb wrote:
bigpete wrote:You bought a chiappa hey....

Yes mate, against better judgement. I had been critical of chiappas for a while, some of their models need work, some of them seem to do better. The Double badger seemed to get pretty good reviews. The big sell for me was its one of the few completely folding combo guns with two triggers. Meaning it fits in a space as short as 50cm long with instant deployability from where it is tucked away, and no mucking about with barrel selectors. Unfold and fire. The wood on it is great, but to date the firing pin has been problematic, and accuracy is so-so. I wasn't expecting it to shoot like a bolt action, but closer to an average lever action would have been nice.

I had one. For a month. Took it back and,after a lot of f***ing about,got my money back. Utter piece of crap and Raytrade was a pain in the arse to deal with.too
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Blr243 » 07 Aug 2019, 6:06 pm

I did it half dozen times up cape York with a bow. Only over night missions. A lot harder to carry two days worth of arrows than it is to carry two days worth of bullets
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 07 Aug 2019, 7:18 pm

Blr243 wrote:I did it half dozen times up cape York with a bow. Only over night missions. A lot harder to carry two days worth of arrows than it is to carry two days worth of bullets

Aren't arrows reusable though, you could take a half-dozen animals all with the same arrow?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 07 Aug 2019, 7:58 pm

Boars love to roll over on arrows
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 07 Aug 2019, 8:52 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Blr243 wrote:I did it half dozen times up cape York with a bow. Only over night missions. A lot harder to carry two days worth of arrows than it is to carry two days worth of bullets

Aren't arrows reusable though, you could take a half-dozen animals all with the same arrow?

Yeah,nah, they get lost or broken
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 07 Aug 2019, 9:22 pm

bigpete wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

Yeah,nah, they get lost or broken

Good to hear, I thought it was just a problem I have :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by mickb » 07 Aug 2019, 10:49 pm

This is what attracted me to the Chiappa initially. About 50cm long at the most, slides into a 30L daypack. Unfold, bang! bang!

mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by mickb » 07 Aug 2019, 10:54 pm

Cheers bladeracer for all the info

bladeracer wrote:A minor downer is that you can't carry it broken down with the mag loaded.

Legally or physically?

Ah edited to say nothing to keep them in the tube right?
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by bladeracer » 08 Aug 2019, 7:45 am

mickb wrote:Cheers bladeracer for all the info

bladeracer wrote:A minor downer is that you can't carry it broken down with the mag loaded.

Legally or physically?

Ah edited to say nothing to keep them in the tube right?

Physically, it wouldn't be a legal issue to keep the tube full while you are in the field.
I've considered fabricating either a magnet or a pin through the tube to keep the ammo in, but it just isn't a big enough problem to have pursued it further. I am working on full-floating the barrel though, and adding such a device would be easy. Easier than carrying some aluminium tubes with fifteen rounds in them to dump into the mag, I doubt it.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by mickb » 08 Aug 2019, 10:16 am

Nice mate. If I went for a tube mag I would be getting a Speed E loader. Plastic cylinder with multiple chambers holding 15-20 cartridges each, rotate the nozzle for each reload as required. They come in different lengths and configs.

https://www.amazon.com/Spee-D-Loader-Sp ... B00SG4P8H2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3M9yoWyZSg
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by bladeracer » 08 Aug 2019, 3:40 pm

mickb wrote:Nice mate. If I went for a tube mag I would be getting a Speed E loader. Plastic cylinder with multiple chambers holding 15-20 cartridges each, rotate the nozzle for each reload as required. They come in different lengths and configs.

https://www.amazon.com/Spee-D-Loader-Sp ... B00SG4P8H2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3M9yoWyZSg

I just use 10mm aluminium tube with foam earplugs in the ends.
https://www.bunnings.com.au/metal-mate-10-x-1mm-1m-aluminium-round-tube_p1067742
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Shootermick » 08 Aug 2019, 7:23 pm

I nearly pre ordered a Chiappa in 243/410 at hunt expo in Melbourne back in May. It was going to be about 3 months for them to arrive here, and I decided against it. Kinda glad I made that decision now.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 08 Aug 2019, 10:16 pm

What about a dedicated backpack with a rifle holding compartment ? I’ve seen some whiz bang units that store a decent sized rifle within the side of the pack...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by mickb » 09 Aug 2019, 1:44 am

Yep quite a few of them out there mate. I prefer takedowns so I can stow the gun competely crossing roads or moving through national park etc.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by TassieTiger » 09 Aug 2019, 2:43 am

What about a custom ? Taking a cheapish .22 to a gunsmith and asking them to fabricate / incorporate appropriate bracketry to suit, where the mid cuts would no doubt eventuate?
Just throwing darts here, but I’d think as long as they retain the intent of any applicable law - some that I know would relish the challenge because it’s “different”...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by mickb » 09 Aug 2019, 3:06 pm

You could mate or also use one of the existing ones. Winchester 62/Rossi 62, various lever actions will takedown as well.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Return to Camping, fishing and outdoor recreation