Recommended insect repellent please

Camping, fishing and outdoor recreational activities. Tips, equipment, accessories, hiking and outdoor cooking.

Recommended insect repellent please

Post by Blr243 » 25 Sep 2019, 2:56 pm

I ask because I have unpacked my equipment on my hunting block and the flies are smashing the dog and I ....I have some tropical strength “OFF” But it barely lasts ten minutes Employees here are heading into town on a daily basis so I’m going to ask them to grab something effective from the supermarkets or chemist ....I don’t care if your suggestions contain deet or give me cancer I just need something vastly better than what I have here ,,,,,, looking fwd to hearing your suggestions for mainly flies
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Re: Recommended insect repellent please

Post by bladeracer » 25 Sep 2019, 3:14 pm

Blr243 wrote:I ask because I have unpacked my equipment on my hunting block and the flies are smashing the dog and I ....I have some tropical strength “OFF” But it barely lasts ten minutes Employees here are heading into town on a daily basis so I’m going to ask them to grab something effective from the supermarkets or chemist ....I don’t care if your suggestions contain deet or give me cancer I just need something vastly better than what I have here ,,,,,, looking fwd to hearing your suggestions for mainly flies

Fly net works pretty good for me, not sure how the dog would go with it though. I don't like chemicals if I can avoid them.
https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR11.TRC1.A0.H0.Xfly+net.TRS0&_nkw=fly+net&_sacat=0
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 25 Sep 2019, 5:17 pm

Vet told us to cover the dogs face with an Elizabethan collar, spray the heck out of him with black flag, leave collar on for couple hours so he doesnt lick himself to death - worked...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 25 Sep 2019, 5:29 pm

Someone told me try diesel..... not sure how good it will be... plus try not go too close to a fire
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Shootermick » 25 Sep 2019, 7:39 pm

I can’t stand those little black flies, there’s heaps here on the farm in summer. Last season I started using Troy Repel X, it comes in a hand sprayer bottle, it’s for horses and you’ll get it from any sort of animal care/farm merchandise type of store. Works as good as anything I’ve tried, and I doubt it harms us humans!
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 25 Sep 2019, 8:30 pm

;Avagoodweekend works for me or Aerogard Tropical Strength.

Sorry, forgot about the dog. Try Apple Cider Vinegar mixed with water about 50:50 and apply in a spray bottle.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 25 Sep 2019, 10:34 pm

Thanks for the input. The mesh suggestion prompted me to remember that my kings swag actually has a mesh thing on it that I never use. So tomorrow when they start their attack the dog and I will be behind mesh and laughing at the flies and calling them all sorts of names as we hide behind the mesh
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 25 Sep 2019, 11:41 pm

Blr243 wrote:Thanks for the input. The mesh suggestion prompted me to remember that my kings swag actually has a mesh thing on it that I never use. So tomorrow when they start their attack the dog and I will be behind mesh and laughing at the flies and calling them all sorts of names as we hide behind the mesh

As kids growing up in Tennant creek, we lived in fly nets to keep the flies out of our faces :-)
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 26 Sep 2019, 9:28 am

I recall being in Perth one year aged 20 and walking to the shop - or trying too...the flies attacked us so hard, we literally gave up...

Another year at Pittsworth QLD watching the street races, no one could eat their lunch because as soon as anyone opened their mouths, flies would swarm in and you got mire protein than you wanted...

Ahhh Tassie...flies are rare...for now anyway lol.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Blr243 » 26 Sep 2019, 11:19 am

I swallowed two flies already. I usually like to cough them up and spit them out but these flew straight down without touching the sides ....I don’t like it ..... my only revenge is knowing they went for a long swim in my stomach acid ..... now that my swag mesh Is set up I’m sorted. It’s nice to see diesel haveing a lovely peaceful sleep with out having to snap at flies buzzing around his face ,,, constantly haveing to fight flies and wear smelly toxic repellent is now a thing of the past
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 26 Sep 2019, 12:09 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Fly net works pretty good for me, not sure how the dog would go with it though. I don't like chemicals if I can avoid them.
https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR11.TRC1.A0.H0.Xfly+net.TRS0&_nkw=fly+net&_sacat=0

Im with bladeracer on this one. Bought some about 4 months ago. Used at the weekend for first time. Blood great.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JSS » 06 Oct 2019, 10:13 am

My mother in law has always said nothing beats Aerogard Tropical so naturally i had to prove her wrong. I've tried everything that's on the shelf and then gone to the hippie natural type ones, some that cost 50+ bucks a bottle......i've tried everything, oils, creams & sprays!!!
But i have to concede and admit she was right all along, nothing beats the good old Aerogard Tropical. If you forget to put it on and get a mozzie or midgie bite, spraying the tropical on the bite even takes the itch away.
JSS
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Jack Ryan » 06 Oct 2019, 2:20 pm

I'd try permethrin here, at least as a first try.
Free men own guns. Slaves don't.
Jack Ryan
Recruit
Recruit

United States of America

Post by in2anity » 09 Oct 2019, 8:07 am

Without question Rid. That stuff will melt your dash-board if left. I've worked in the tropics, and it's what everybody uses; everything else pales in comparison.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by razor222 » 09 Oct 2019, 8:24 am

Bushman repellent's never let me down, used it in fiji/thailand n it held up. Available at Coles. I'll have to try that aeroguard tropical by the sounds of it though
Brno Mod 2
BSA Meteor
razor222
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by JSS » 09 Oct 2019, 3:36 pm

Yep bushmans works pretty good too, but after watching it eat the powder coat off a tinnie by leaving the can on it overnight i don't want to spray that stuff on myself if i can help it.
JSS
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by razor222 » 09 Oct 2019, 7:11 pm

Jeepers! Yeah makes me 2nd guess using it now too lol
Brno Mod 2
BSA Meteor
razor222
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Blr243 » 09 Oct 2019, 7:59 pm

I think if thieves wanted to break into a safe in a bank they could rub bushmans heavy duty ( 40 per cent deet) on it and return half hour later to collect the cash
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Diamond Jim » 31 Oct 2019, 7:27 pm

Aerogard Tropical and Bushman's both work well but they don't stop the flies harrassing you and flying in your mouth, just from settling on you. After many years of trying different things and "toughing it out" I recently bought nets for myself and my boys. It's been a game changer and the best thing is the look of envy and hate from camp buddies who haven't got one.
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Return to Camping, fishing and outdoor recreation