Knive sharpening advice

Camping, fishing and outdoor recreational activities. Tips, equipment, accessories, hiking and outdoor cooking.

Re: Knive sharpening advice

Post by gazza » 07 Mar 2014, 9:36 pm

I use a big old belt and water to finish . I'm going to try some polishing compound.
gazza
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by arlandriax » 11 Mar 2014, 4:23 pm

I picked up a spyderco sharpmaker. by far the best sharpener i have ever used. excellent results, very safe and almost fool proof. $60 well spent
arlandriax
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by chilliman » 11 Mar 2014, 9:00 pm

lole wrote:A mate of mine is a chef and has Global knives which are Japanese (?).

He uses the ceramic stuff, not sure if that's more of a cooking scene thing or if anyone does "hunting" knifes is these metals too?

I have a set of Global knives and use the Minosharp ceramic as recommended by Global. I then strop them on a leather strop. these knives are super sharp and hold an edge well. I don't let them get too dull so all it takes is 2-3 minutes per knife every 6-8 weeks and they will do anything in the kitchen.

I've used the Minosharp on other knives, it works pretty good but not quite as good as it does on the thinner bladed Globals. for general duty knives I use an AccuSharp Knife Sharpener, it works pretty quick and makes 'em sharp.

I have done some straight razor sharpening using lapping film and waterstones. the lapping film can be used on knives too but I've only used it on straights. the film works really good on razors!
Mark

Gamo Hunter IGT .22
Weihrauch HW60J .22lr
223 + 308 5R's have arrived
Lee Enfield #4

get some
chilliman
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bawoog » 12 Mar 2014, 1:56 pm

Thanks guys.

I think the leather strop and sharpening compound sounds like one worth trying.

Gunna give that a go :)
bawoog
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by chilliman » 12 Mar 2014, 2:12 pm

bawoog wrote:Thanks guys.

I think the leather strop and sharpening compound sounds like one worth trying.

Gunna give that a go :)

hi bawoog

understand that a strop and compound won't sharpen a dull knife - they are for finishing off an already sharpened knife.

stones and steel put a fine lip on the sharp edge, the strop is used to straighten or realign the cutting edge.
Mark

Gamo Hunter IGT .22
Weihrauch HW60J .22lr
Lee Enfield #4

get some
chilliman
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by handofcod » 12 Mar 2014, 6:50 pm

chilliman wrote:hi bawoog

understand that a strop and compound won't sharpen a dull knife - they are for finishing off an already sharpened knife.

stones and steel put a fine lip on the sharp edge, the strop is used to straighten or realign the cutting edge.

Have to disagree with you there. It's true that if there is no edge geometry left at all you won't have a great time using a strop but it's no different to using a belt sander (it'll just take a lot longer).

I don't ever use a stone unless I'm sharpening a family member's kitchen knife and they've run the edge down to a spoon. Stropping will definitely sharpen a dull knife. You just have to use the correct compound, in my case the black compound (not sure what micron) is plenty aggressive enough to sharpen a blunt knife.
CZ452 22lr | Remington 5R Milspec in .223 | Tikka Hunter in 300wsm | Ruger Scout in .308
handofcod
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by chilliman » 12 Mar 2014, 8:12 pm

handofcod wrote:Have to disagree with you there. It's true that if there is no edge geometry left at all you won't have a great time using a strop but it's no different to using a belt sander (it'll just take a lot longer).

I don't ever use a stone unless I'm sharpening a family member's kitchen knife and they've run the edge down to a spoon. Stropping will definitely sharpen a dull knife. You just have to use the correct compound, in my case the black compound (not sure what micron) is plenty aggressive enough to sharpen a blunt knife.

hey HFC - yes I suppose you are correct to a degree (and me incorrect to a degree) - if you keep at it long enough eventually you'll get a dull knife sharp with strop and paste alone but that is not its generally accepted use. it makes it more fun if we don't agree on everything. 8-)
Mark

Gamo Hunter IGT .22
Weihrauch HW60J .22lr
Lee Enfield #4

get some
chilliman
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Camping, fishing and outdoor recreation