Fridge batteries amps

Camping, fishing and outdoor recreational activities. Tips, equipment, accessories, hiking and outdoor cooking.

Fridge batteries amps

Post by Blr243 » 24 Jan 2020, 2:41 pm

It says on the website that my 60 litre kings has average power consumption of from .7 to 1.0 amp at +3 degrees setting. So does that mean if I’m useing a 120 ah battery it’s going to give me almost 120 hours before it goes flat ?
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Re: Fridge batteries amps

Post by Baronvonrort » 24 Jan 2020, 3:28 pm

No, Depth Of Discharge is a significant factor with battery life.

With lead acid batteries DOD should not exceed 50% if you want battery to last therefore 60 ah usable for 120 ah battery

Lithium batteries can have deeper DOD you can take them down to 15-20% best to keep them between 30-90% to extend life, therefore about 90-100 ah usable with lithium.

If you get a solar panel make sure charge controller suits the type of battery you have.
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Blr243 » 24 Jan 2020, 4:07 pm

Thanks for the info baron. I actually have sol panels at home for the battery so in future if I go camping I’ll remember to keep them as a combo so I don’t prematurely destroy my big battery.
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 24 Jan 2020, 7:36 pm

You will find your fridge likely has a Secop compressor, unless they have changed it recently. This is the old Danfoss BD50, with a name change for a reason I do not know. Well regarded compressor unit, used by many manufacturers such as ARB, Evakool, Waeco etc. When running they draw about 4.5 amps. But of course they do not run all the time. So how much power they will consume will depend very much on conditions. My recollection was an average of about 2.5 amps per hour. Less than that would be optimistic I think.

A 120 watt solar panel connected to your battery will provide enough power to run it constantly in my experience, depending on overhead conditions of course. I have the same compressor , but fitted to an Evakool.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by FuzzyM » 24 Jan 2020, 8:55 pm

That will also depend on ambient temps. If it's a 40 degree day it will use way more than the stated amount.
FuzzyM
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 24 Jan 2020, 9:26 pm

Like the Bren gun FuzzyM that is the British in .303. I used the Mk 4 in 308 in the Aussie army 83-86 it had straight magazines and a slotted flash suppressor
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by straightshooter » 25 Jan 2020, 6:44 am

Some of the simple arithmetic in above posts is in of itself correct but it fails to take into account the various uses that may be asked of a portable/hunting 12v fridge.
For example one may acquire a quantity of game meat that requires refrigeration. In that case the fridge will work almost continuously until the contents reach the preset temperature.
Bear in mind advertisers, even in truthful moments, will expound the 'best case' scenario as far as ratings, consumption, etc are concerned.
A prudent person will take account of worst case scenarios.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 25 Jan 2020, 1:16 pm

My Weaco 40 ltr draws 6 amp.
In average conditions seems to run about 36 hrs and can still start the ute. After that gets a bit risky. I have 2 solar panels. 120 & 40watt portables. Asking around 120w should easily run it. The 40watt should provide about 40% of its requirements. Having 2 gives me choice. The 40watt is much smaller and lighter.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 25 Jan 2020, 2:39 pm

I think I might just leave my solar pans here. I come out often enough. Safer than transporting all the time.
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 25 Jan 2020, 2:52 pm

Blr243 wrote:I think I might just leave my solar pans here. I come out often enough. Safer than transporting all the time.

If u are starting the car every day u should be fine.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 25 Jan 2020, 4:11 pm

I wasn’t actually running off the car battery , it was a stand alone thing that was a left over power supply from one of my attempts to film and send live video of waterhole animals via cell network direct to my phone. It was just interesting to know how long it was going to last me while the power was off. But luckily the power is now sorted and the big battery has now been on charge and is probably full so I’m sorted. All I gotta do now is get my act together and sort these pigs out..... my approach has been a bit lazy this trip
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 25 Jan 2020, 7:48 pm

Oldbloke wrote:My Weaco 40 ltr draws 6 amp.
In average conditions seems to run about 36 hrs and can still start the ute. After that gets a bit risky. I have 2 solar panels. 120 & 40watt portables. Asking around 120w should easily run it. The 40watt should provide about 40% of its requirements. Having 2 gives me choice. The 40watt is much smaller and lighter.

Are you sure about that Oldbloke???? I have an amp meter on my power supply to monitor current draw, and I have never seen it that high, not even on start-up.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 25 Jan 2020, 10:18 pm

"Are you sure about that Oldbloke???? I have an amp meter on my power supply to monitor current draw, and I have never seen it that high, not even on start-up."

Its in the manual. Read it just a few weeks ago.
Ive only had it 6 months. On 1 trip ute started ok after it ran for a bit over 2 days. On another i was lucky to start the ute after about 32 hours. But on that occassion i made the mistake of leaving torno cover tied down.. i bought the 40watt panel just for insurance. I normally run the ute every day on a hunting trip.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Camping, fishing and outdoor recreation