Waterproof hunting boot options

Camping, fishing and outdoor recreational activities. Tips, equipment, accessories, hiking and outdoor cooking.

Waterproof hunting boot options

Post by Blr243 » 30 Jan 2020, 4:36 pm

Due to the overflowing river and creeks I’m going to have some swamp fun. Imagine hunting on the Northern Territory floodplains but before the dry season , when thick soupy mud and water is prolific.... that’s what I’m expecting. .... no way I’m walking round in floppy uncomfortable Wellington boots ."... does somebody make a comfortable version of them ? I had great success in New Zealand by regularly applying a ton of beeswax waterproofing to my leather scarpas after 10-12 hours in slush and snow my feet were still bone dry and warm. I had no luck with gortex lined boots because after some wear and stress the membrane fails ...Trusting them is like trusting Peter foster ....... due to the depth of water and mud that I may find myself in I’m looking for the highest waterproof boot possible. Any ideas or recommendations?
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Re: Waterproof hunting boot options

Post by Oldbloke » 30 Jan 2020, 7:11 pm

25 odd years ago u used to buy "jungle boots" They were rubber soles and the rest lace up canvas. About same height as gum boots. More or less water proof but if I recall correctly hot in the summer.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 30 Jan 2020, 7:15 pm

The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 30 Jan 2020, 7:27 pm

I don't believe there is anything aside from rubber boots that I'd call waterproof
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by RoginaJack » 30 Jan 2020, 7:28 pm

Har, OB Not jungle boots, you mean "brothel sneakers"...very good...
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by RoginaJack » 30 Jan 2020, 7:38 pm

Actually, I've seen a neoprene style of boot for divers - check your local surf shops . one brand that springs to mind is CRESSI but there would be others..
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by marksman » 30 Jan 2020, 8:30 pm

l've actually just bought a pair of gumboots mainly because of leeches and being waterproof
good against snake bites apparently :unknown:
not bad for not carrying scent l've heard
a farmer put me onto them after l complained about wet socks and leeches, works for him and he see's a hell of a lot more deer than me :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by marksman » 30 Jan 2020, 8:31 pm

RoginaJack wrote:Actually, I've seen a neoprene style of boot for divers - check your local surf shops . one brand that springs to mind is CRESSI but there would be others..

these are great for stalking quietly :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 31 Jan 2020, 11:51 am

I actually had a leach crawl inside me once. BEWARE OF THOSE THINGS ! A person freaking out because they have a leach on their leg just needs a sharp slap across the face for being so dramaric .... but people have died from not being able to breath when leaches attach to the inside of the throat , swell with blood and block airways .....my dad said that in the army one of his mates had a leach crawl in behind his eyeball and went almost insane with the agony ....in the water they find you by your movement , smells and secretions
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 31 Jan 2020, 2:55 pm

I ended up getting something canvass looking with a gortex liner , can’t remenber the brand. Normally 150. Today 99. Not necessarily good sole cushioning so some inserts are on the cards I think. I will post the results next time I get all sloppy and muddy. Thank s for taking the time to reply
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Return to Camping, fishing and outdoor recreation