Fastest way to boil water - camping

Camping, fishing and outdoor recreational activities. Tips, equipment, accessories, hiking and outdoor cooking.

Fastest way to boil water - camping

Post by TassieTiger » 02 May 2020, 11:10 pm

Was up bush today and it rained most of day - all I wanted was a hot cup of something to warm my cockles but with the rain, usual measures were out.(billy on the coals).
So couple queries for the brains trust -

Anyone used a 12v kettle, jay CAr have them for about $35 ? Any good?
Jet boil? How do they work in precipitation?
Gas stove - these are cheap as now - is this my best option ?
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Re: Fastest way to boil water - camping

Post by Stix » 02 May 2020, 11:23 pm

Jetboil
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 03 May 2020, 12:12 am

TassieTiger wrote:Was up bush today and it rained most of day - all I wanted was a hot cup of something to warm my cockles but with the rain, usual measures were out.(billy on the coals).
So couple queries for the brains trust -

Anyone used a 12v kettle, jay CAr have them for about $35 ? Any good?
Jet boil? How do they work in precipitation?
Gas stove - these are cheap as now - is this my best option ?

Hexamine stove, very compact, very easy to light.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Raband » 03 May 2020, 12:25 am

Thermos at start of the day with boiling water or premade with coffee
Raband
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by womble » 03 May 2020, 2:58 am

12v kettles are crap. And they use too much battery.
Never tried a jet boil, will have to investigate.
Propane if i need coffee fast.
Butane burns too fast.
I love my trangia. Not fast or the best but i just love it. I’m good at it and I’m the cook. She can’t even figure out how it works. So i am the best.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by womble » 03 May 2020, 3:13 am

If we have blackouts at home I commandeer the kitchen. Breakout the trangia on the bench. She’s in my world now.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 03 May 2020, 6:46 am

I have a Coleman stove that runs on petrol so u never have to buy gas for it and because my quadbike runs on unleaded I always have fuel with me At 1 dollar per litre u can boil away forever
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by MontyShooter » 03 May 2020, 7:41 am

Jetboil
MontyShooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 03 May 2020, 9:28 am

Mate I just have one of those single burner butane stoves, takes up buggar all room. I am out of a vehicle though, not mobile with a pack on.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by No1_49er » 03 May 2020, 10:49 am

I use something like this https://onlineshop.ssaa.org.au/product/ ... ettle-3lt/
My father made the one that I have, something like 60+ years ago, from copper sheet. People did that sort of thing way back then.
Not pushing the SSAA one; it just happens to be the easiest example I could find. I'm sure there would be other ones out there.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by CrackThump » 03 May 2020, 11:06 am

another vote here for the hexamine stove.. fits in ya glove box, and if you need longer burn than 1 hexie tablet ya can just chuck a few twigs in it.

cheap as buggery too
CrackThump
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by JimTom » 03 May 2020, 11:08 am

Oh the mere mention of hexie stove brings shivers down my spine. :lol: :lol: :lol:
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 03 May 2020, 11:30 am

Appears I have some research to do.
I like the look of jet boil - I prefer to gather water than take it in with me...dunno, feels / tastes better than a thermos...or maybe it’s the giardia (sp?) or placebo...

Can jet boils utilise sticks if propane runs out? Is that effective ? They aren’t cheap from what I’ve seen.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by poid » 03 May 2020, 11:37 am

12v kettles are rubbish

A Kelly Kettle works well, just needs leaves/twigs and you can usually find some that aren't soaked. A cheaper alternative to jetboils is the Furno, under $50 including a couple of pots and they have an adjustable flame too.
poid
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Blr243 » 03 May 2020, 11:40 am

When I googled fastest camping stoves I found a heap of those review sites that instead meantioned best camp stoves so was tricky to find the fastest. Jet boil sounded good. Of all those stoves that attach to gas bottles or cylinders there were units starting at 30 and up to roughly 250. Big difference in price .....three of us were on a mountain in nz once and I was the only one with a stove so I started useing my metho stove to cook up noodles for every body. I did the right thing and fed my mates before feeding myself. Then I ran out of metho ... so then we all laughed about my bad luck as they ate hot noodles and I just looked at my packet of cold noodles. No more metho stove for me I think I got sucked in by the cheap lightweight option
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 03 May 2020, 11:44 am

+1 about $19 at bunnings. Just add small 2kg gas bottle $30 at bunnings.
Have used this arrangement for many yrs. Only issue is getting small bottles filled is expensive. But there are ways. Lol
https://www.bunnings.com.au/gasmate-sin ... e_p3230551

Reliable and cheap
Last edited by Oldbloke on 03 May 2020, 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 03 May 2020, 1:36 pm

TassieTiger wrote:Appears I have some research to do.
I like the look of jet boil - I prefer to gather water than take it in with me...dunno, feels / tastes better than a thermos...or maybe it’s the giardia (sp?) or placebo...

Can jet boils utilise sticks if propane runs out? Is that effective ? They aren’t cheap from what I’ve seen.

No...you'll burn the insulation off...lol...

Everything packs into the cup itself--even with the pot attachment & gas cartridge.. :thumbsup: ...

aside from the pizo not igniting mine (ofcourse it failed just after w'tee) its fantastic.

I used to stop & boil for a cuppa every couple hrs at gutting/skinning stop while spotlighting...very fast & convenient.

Now i have a good thermal cup thingo that lasts, but still carry the jetboil because every now & then the rifle & mug have a little punch up & my coffee is jettisoned into the console... :roll: ...i really...really...really hate that...lol...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by trekin » 03 May 2020, 2:20 pm

poid wrote:12v kettles are rubbish

A Kelly Kettle works well, just needs leaves/twigs and you can usually find some that aren't soaked. A cheaper alternative to jetboils is the Furno, under $50 including a couple of pots and they have an adjustable flame too.
No1_49er wrote:I use something like this https://onlineshop.ssaa.org.au/product/ ... ettle-3lt/
My father made the one that I have, something like 60+ years ago, from copper sheet. People did that sort of thing way back then.
Not pushing the SSAA one; it just happens to be the easiest example I could find. I'm sure there would be other ones out there.

Have two of these, 4 and 8 cup capacity, both home made from s/steel. The eight cup will boil with two medium pine cones, and you can't beat the smokey favoured that burning wood puts into your cuppa of choice. Any bushman worth his salt will able to gather together more than enough dry fuel to use in these, even in a downpour.
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by allthegearandnoidea » 03 May 2020, 7:15 pm

I bought this one asa cheap jetboil alternative - willboil 1 cup wate rin 1 minute

https://www.anacondastores.com/camping- ... BP90036581
allthegearandnoidea
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 03 May 2020, 7:32 pm

I went to Bunnings today and couldn’t find the smaller butane canisters shown to be used with jet boil...they had larger cans of all shapes and sizes but not the small hexagon type shaped ones...I then asked and was advised they are / process of being discontinued due to safety?
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Oldbloke » 03 May 2020, 8:02 pm

Gee, your fussy. Have you considered a rocket stove?
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 03 May 2020, 8:17 pm

Yes, i am fussy - I want to be able to boil water when it’s pouring and the camp wood is wet (outside fire barely kicking over) and it’s 2 degs cold and a cup of hot coffee or hot soup is worth a good BJ. Rocket stoves need fuel like anything - wet wood wouldn’t work that great...couple on amazon from steel though - cool designs and they do roar beautifully when working properly.
Think a butane gas stove might be my best bet.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Blr243 » 03 May 2020, 8:53 pm

Winter ( or some sort of brutal cold snap ) has hit south east Qld like a hammer ....I been digging around trying to locate scarfs and beanies and all sorts of stuff to ensure I’m comfortable either walking or on the quadbike for my next trip away ...there will be no more crazy running around in the middle of the night in paddocks shirtless for me for the next 6 months .... buggered if I know how people tolerate Tasmania Or Victoria .....frosty beards , numb fingers opening ice cold steel gates and struggling to get out of the swag when the alarm goes off for an early morning hunt ....actually now is a good time for me to start inventing a fold down windscreen for my quad
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 03 May 2020, 8:59 pm

Winter ( or some sort of brutal cold snap ) has hit south east Qld like a hammer ....I been digging around trying to locate scarfs and beanies and all sorts of stuff to ensure I’m comfortable either walking or on the quadbike for my next trip away ...there will be no more crazy running around in the middle of the night in paddocks shirtless for me for the next 6 months .... buggered if I know how people tolerate Tasmania Or Victoria .....frosty beards , numb fingers opening ice cold steel gates and struggling to get out of the swag when the alarm goes off for an early morning hunt ....actually now is a good time for me to start inventing a fold down windscreen for my quad
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Archie » 03 May 2020, 9:11 pm

Another vote for jetboil. I keep one in the back of the 4wd. Always good for making coffee. It’s so damn quick. It is useless without the fuel but so are most things, at the end if the day they’re all a substitute for wood.
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 03 May 2020, 9:58 pm

$7 pocket stove from Ebay, $12 butane cannister from BCF and a $15 set of alloy pots. about minute slower than jetboil for a hundred dollars less. Mines nearly 10 years old and going strong

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Sarco » 03 May 2020, 10:21 pm

No1_49er wrote:I use something like this https://onlineshop.ssaa.org.au/product/ ... ettle-3lt/

I have a similar product bought through the old Australian Geographic shops. 1.5lt stainless steel.

I generally use sticks, leaves and twigs etc. but in s**t conditions, I use a large Fowlers preserving jar lid filled with metho. Takes about 5 -7 mins from cold to boiling. The solid fuel blocks (hexamine type materials) also work well in crap conditions.
Sarco
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by poid » 03 May 2020, 10:26 pm

TassieTiger wrote:I went to Bunnings today and couldn’t find the smaller butane canisters shown to be used with jet boil...they had larger cans of all shapes and sizes but not the small hexagon type shaped ones...I then asked and was advised they are / process of being discontinued due to safety?

nah Bunnings don't carry those. BCF, Anaconda and the like do.
poid
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by poid » 03 May 2020, 10:30 pm

TassieTiger wrote:Rocket stoves need fuel like anything - wet wood wouldn’t work that great

honestly mate i've used that Kelly Kettle in all sorts of weather. Keep some fire starter packed with it, all you need is anything that is not completely soaked and you'll get it going. Once it's going even wet twigs will keep it burning.

That said I carry a Furno and gas in my pack cos I don't have a small Kelly, it gets used when car camping.
poid
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 04 May 2020, 12:09 am

Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Next

Return to Camping, fishing and outdoor recreation