Fishing.

Camping, fishing and outdoor recreational activities. Tips, equipment, accessories, hiking and outdoor cooking.

Re: Fishing.

Post by ash_hendo » 25 Jun 2020, 8:27 pm

TassieTiger wrote:Maybe a lot of the global problems we experience- boils down to simplistic things like this...detachment. imagine that everyone knew where their food came from - that cattle was alive, that lamb had a mother who cared for it, etc - maybe, just maybe a forced education on such things would improve compassion and empathy enough to better the world...or would result in a huge outpouring of vegans whom would ban guns and ... s**t. Stop that. Reverse...beep beep beep.

Know many vegan farmers? They know more about this than anyone! I think it's ignorance, people think a pet pig will talk to you and chase sheep.....
ash_hendo
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 25 Jun 2020, 10:25 pm

Stix wrote:
TassieTiger wrote:
Stix wrote:Yep...as someone here said somewhere, we've lost our ability & understanding of what it really takes to survive...

I remember as a kid seeing a doco about a nomadic African tribe that had a huge spiritual ceremony that lasted for a couple of days, all for the slaughter of one of their goats...which was to be for a feast in celebration of one of the tribes "daughters" getting married.

I used to think they were nuts--its only an animal ffs...& i was only a kid out blowing away bunnies... :unknown:

But when you have to look an animal you have wounded in the eye to put it down at close range with a shot to the brain & its offspring audibly distressed somewhere nearby, then taste that meat while regurgitating thoughts & feelings surrounding how it met its end...it gives you a deeper respect life...& for me, an intrinsic understanding of how that ceremony represents a deeply held respect that African tribe have/had for all life, & how precious it was/is....
Something our modern culture seemingly has little to no idea about in my opinion.

The fact this isnt shown because people label the act of killing as offensive & cruel, rather than understanding its actually confronting & not having facing the emotional conflict that arises, is just forcing society to become piss weak & over-entitled...it by enlarge makes us less empathetic...

You have a way with words Stix - what you’ve managed to describe is one reason I won’t shoot whSt I can’t use...

Only because you dont have foxes there mate... :thumbsup: ...well not "full bodied" ones anyway... ;) :lol:

And from memory, the link in the original post delves into those noises you talk about, that are made by fish.
es they are studied...& they have proven that fish have memories & experience some levels of distress...its all a matter of finding ways to to demonstrate it.

In fact, in that audio, the scientist makes a point by example of that "memory like a goldfish" is anything but true...& that they do infact display emotional responses to different stimulie & people in the room when in a bowl/tank as pets...

Just thinking about it, if they dont have an active nervous system, why do they shake hooks--or try to shake hooks...?...
Any real fisherman knows that feeling of a snappers head shakes, & know the importance of tension on the line or they will shake that hook--because thats exactly what theyre trying to do... :thumbsup: ...& i cant imagine that being an overly good experience for even the least emotionally responsive fof fishes... :unknown:

And i guess i ask myself why it is generally assumed they dont feel pain or distress...so do they "feel" the hook embed & know its no good but dont feel pain...?...Dunno...that suggestion just doesnt hold weight in my mind... :unknown:
Its generally scientifically proven that pain is a response required for survival--so if a chicken feels it, why wouldnt the fish... :unknown:

because we are programmed to sense an emotional response largely through facial expression--so if we stick a hook in a childs mouth, or dogs mouth, & lift it off the ground & see it in pain but cant hear it, we still react through empathy...but a fish doesnt have the ability for great facial expressiveness--yet they obviously communicate...

Maybe its a combo of us being so far removed from them now in evolutionary ways & the thrill of that feeling on the end of the line that we fail to recognise & therefor empathise with any feelings of distress the fish might have...

I remember as a young kid my ol man caught a fish & it was on a big plastic tray, still alive-albeit just-, yet to be gutted & ready to be prepped & cooked...i was fascinated & got a knife & was poking its eyes & watching them react...hbrhbrhbrhbrhbrhr. (thats my best text representation of a cold shiver-- :lol: )...i cringe & feel bad now for doing that, & knowing that it got gutted while alive, as many do--

Ive been on a commercial fisho's boat & was really challenged at what he does to gummy sharks while alive--no attempts at stunning--just right into them with a knife.
I made mention of it politely, & he was respectful enough after that point to slice the back of their heads for me...but i doubt hes done it since...

I know im a bloody woos eh...!!... :lol: ... :unknown:

If you knew the questions, the queries, the secondary looks, the confusion, that those semi bodied foxes cause lol. It’s just gold...I’ve literally seen ppl go up to them, turn and open their mouth, then just shake their head and walk away...I can hear their mind lol - “I don’t want to know” hehe.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Stix » 26 Jun 2020, 12:09 am

Take a pic of how you have them in the room...id like to see... :)
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Previous

Return to Camping, fishing and outdoor recreation