New Quadbike regulations

Camping, fishing and outdoor recreational activities. Tips, equipment, accessories, hiking and outdoor cooking.

Re: New Quadbike regulations

Post by Gamerancher » 08 Aug 2020, 10:45 am

No complacency here mate, I fully understand the limitations involved, both mine and machine.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Strangedog » 08 Aug 2020, 11:38 am

Surely allowing motorbikes to ride on our roads is too dangerous for a country with such a mindset. Should we ban motorbikes on the roads? Same as rock fishing, the annoying nanny state wants to make it law that I wear a lifejacket when I go fishing of the rocks. I don't need to, don't make me. I choose not to put myself in dangerous situations in the first place. Legislating against the stupid is not worth doing.
Strangedog
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 08 Aug 2020, 1:13 pm

The reason they are pushing it is that people are being killed and injured on the job. It's work related,not so much recreational.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 08 Aug 2020, 7:02 pm

One time I’m on my Honda 4 wheeler chaseing a mediocre boar at Cunnamulla through some thick stuff and he knocks up so I pull up And he runs up into the footwell to bite my left leg so I swing both my legs over the other side ... so then he runs around the front of the quad to enter the other footwell and has another go... and then around to the left side again ....so maybe Honda needs some swinging doors Both sides to stop pigs from biting my legs. The madness continues
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Faedy » 08 Aug 2020, 11:57 pm

Ive had a bad quad crash, as has a mate
Im currently selling both my Polaris 570's to but a buggy style.
Be way more fun for hunting
Faedy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by eddievic » 09 Aug 2020, 9:05 am

I was taking to a farmer friend and Atleast in vic quadbikes been.a workcover issue and they basically want you to put a rollbar on the back of it. VFF had a subsidy for 2 or 3 years which paid 500 towards a roll bar, there were two approved roll bars at that time and the cheaper was around 500 and the more expensive one less than a thousand. Very simple process to get a rebate. But not many people applied for the rebate.

If they become mandatory for new bikes so be it, but on a farm all over Australia they will get likely become mandatory on older bikes as well...its about saving lives

Thanks
117, 22lr, 223, 243, 264, 308, 338, 416, 20g 12g

Soo many, but not enough
eddievic
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 09 Aug 2020, 11:19 am

eddievic wrote:I was taking to a farmer friend and At least in vic quadbikes been.a workcover issue and they basically want you to put a rollbar on the back of it. VFF had a subsidy for 2 or 3 years which paid 500 towards a roll bar, there were two approved roll bars at that time and the cheaper was around 500 and the more expensive one less than a thousand. Very simple process to get a rebate. But not many people applied for the rebate.

If they become mandatory for new bikes so be it, but on a farm all over Australia they will get likely become mandatory on older bikes as well...its about saving lives

Thanks

Correct, a push by Worksafe Vic for a few years now, the ROP were Vic Gov subsidized. Very few took it up. So the various state govs decided to change their approach and make it requirement they all be fitted with them from new. But not sure of the details. (Don't know if it will be applied retrospectively. I think the relative AU Standard was amended but could just be regulated) I know a bloke who is heavily into that side of things. If people are interested I will ask.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 10 Aug 2020, 11:49 am

The numbers are hardly apocalyptic ol' mate.
By the way, are you advocating R.O.P.S on horses and ladders as well? Plenty of people die every year falling off a ladder, a lot more than quads.
If you have a look at the following link you'll see that tractors are still a leading cause of death on farms despite the mandatory fitting of roll bars that came in years ago.
Also, as usual when it comes to statistics, they can be made to look as bad or as good as you want them to. An increase of 5 in the number of deaths can be written as " An 84% increase!!! " Or, overstated as "doubled" as I found in numerous articles about the numbers from 2019.

https://www.agrifutures.com.au/wp-conte ... 20-009.pdf

Here's some data from the A.B.S, on the leading causes of death in Australia,

https://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.ns ... endocument
( Take note of the 3102 deaths caused by influenza/pneumonia in 2018 )

Now, before you go getting all fired up, I agree that any accidental death is 1 too many.
I'm not at all against safety measures, ( a seat-belt save my life years ago when I was cleaned up head-on by a bloke who decided that the speed limit and keep left rules didn't apply to him), but as I tried to explain earlier, the fitment of these types of structures significantly diminishes the versatility of quads and how I use them. My earlier point also, was that, ( as others have pointed out ), you cannot legislate to overcome "stupidity".
I worked on a mine site where the G.M and her lackeys decided that they could put in place a safety regime that meant that any person on site could safely do any job. I'm sorry, but if someone is afraid of heights, no amount of training "modules" or safety devices is going to make that person safe to work at heights. Same for working underground, if someone is sh!t-scared of being down the hole and almost their whole attention is taken up worrying about the roof coming down, I don't want to be working with that person, they are the ones who get others hurt through their inability to focus on the job at hand. Then there are the blokes that no matter what the rules are, they will just do what they want no matter how stupid it is.
A comment made by one of my supervisors when discussing this type of "idiot-proofing" was that you just encourage bigger idiots.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Strangedog » 11 Aug 2020, 8:45 am

Gamerancher wrote:The numbers are hardly apocalyptic ol' mate.
By the way, are you advocating R.O.P.S on horses and ladders as well? Plenty of people die every year falling off a ladder, a lot more than quads.
If you have a look at the following link you'll see that tractors are still a leading cause of death on farms despite the mandatory fitting of roll bars that came in years ago.
Also, as usual when it comes to statistics, they can be made to look as bad or as good as you want them to. An increase of 5 in the number of deaths can be written as " An 84% increase!!! " Or, overstated as "doubled" as I found in numerous articles about the numbers from 2019.

https://www.agrifutures.com.au/wp-conte ... 20-009.pdf

Here's some data from the A.B.S, on the leading causes of death in Australia,

https://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.ns ... endocument
( Take note of the 3102 deaths caused by influenza/pneumonia in 2018 )

Now, before you go getting all fired up, I agree that any accidental death is 1 too many.
I'm not at all against safety measures, ( a seat-belt save my life years ago when I was cleaned up head-on by a bloke who decided that the speed limit and keep left rules didn't apply to him), but as I tried to explain earlier, the fitment of these types of structures significantly diminishes the versatility of quads and how I use them. My earlier point also, was that, ( as others have pointed out ), you cannot legislate to overcome "stupidity".
I worked on a mine site where the G.M and her lackeys decided that they could put in place a safety regime that meant that any person on site could safely do any job. I'm sorry, but if someone is afraid of heights, no amount of training "modules" or safety devices is going to make that person safe to work at heights. Same for working underground, if someone is sh!t-scared of being down the hole and almost their whole attention is taken up worrying about the roof coming down, I don't want to be working with that person, they are the ones who get others hurt through their inability to focus on the job at hand. Then there are the blokes that no matter what the rules are, they will just do what they want no matter how stupid it is.
A comment made by one of my supervisors when discussing this type of "idiot-proofing" was that you just encourage bigger idiots.

Good post.
Strangedog
Private
Private

New South Wales

Previous

Return to Camping, fishing and outdoor recreation