Where to camp

Camping, fishing and outdoor recreational activities. Tips, equipment, accessories, hiking and outdoor cooking.

Where to camp

Post by Oldbloke » 23 Jun 2020, 8:43 am

Just wondering, I'm in Vic. I've got Wikicamps and Campermate They list 99% of camp sites. But often I can't find one near where I want to stay.

Is it still OK to set up camp anywhere in SF? Did it years ago and sometimes still just roll out the swag on the side of a track. But is it legal?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Re: Where to camp

Post by womble » 23 Jun 2020, 9:29 am

Yes
Just make sure you don't look like a resting deers heat signature
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 23 Jun 2020, 2:54 pm

The reflective nature of those little stickers attached to roadside guideposts. U can also buy 50 mm rolls of reflective tape from Bunnings. I have taped some to all four sides of my quad It stands out like a light shining back at somebody waving a spotlight in my direction ....I also have it on my backpack. And on the back of my main hunting jumper. Sometimes I like down for a micro sleep in a paddock in the middle of the night and I’m nervous about the experience of others I don’t know. This only works for spotlighters and nv shooters. I have not yet worked out how to warn thermal shooters that my sleeping body is not a big fat boar ...something for me to work on. I don’t think I could ever sleep well in a state forest. A new bloke with a new thermal scope who can’t wait for his first thermal game. It scares the hell out of me .....sometimes I have looked long and hard at an object to be sure before I shoot. Not everybody is that carefull. A bloke got shot in the USA like this
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 23 Jun 2020, 4:35 pm

Blr243. Umm, I would be sleeping beside the ute.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 23 Jun 2020, 6:20 pm

When I was 20 I camped on the river in the Kimberly’s I had an f100 Ute with no canopy on the back ...I felt very safe up in the back of it at night . Well away from any wandering hungry croc
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Harrynsw » 23 Jun 2020, 6:25 pm

womble wrote:Yes
Just make sure you don't look like a resting deers heat signature

:lol: :lol:
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal