Backpack hunting food ideas.

Camping, fishing and outdoor recreational activities. Tips, equipment, accessories, hiking and outdoor cooking.

Backpack hunting food ideas.

Post by Wodez » 30 Jul 2020, 9:36 pm

I’m Off on my first 7 day backpack hunt in 2 months...assuming we are allowed out of the house.

I’m After quick and easy food ideas. Both snacks and main meals.
I have done a bit of reading online and no articles I read mentioned veg. It Would keep fine in mild weather and most can be eaten raw.... how easy is a raw carrot as a healthy side option.... only downside maybe They are hard to digest and it’s recommended to not to put your body through extra stress?

Fruit was another thing that wasn’t mentioned. I’m guessing because they a perishable and easily bruised.
But maybe dried fruit?

For dinner do most people only take enough for 3-4 nights and assume the other 3 nights will be venison? I have Seen a few videos that Seem to try to take some meat within the first few days.

Any other ideas would be great
Cheers
Last edited by Wodez on 31 Jul 2020, 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wodez
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Backpack hunting food ideas.

Post by No1_49er » 30 Jul 2020, 9:44 pm

There are some very good/nutritious dehydrated/freeze-dried options available. Light weight, all you need is a supply of (clean) water and a means of heating.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by boingk » 30 Jul 2020, 9:46 pm

I tend to take a variety of foods. One of my favourite evening meals is the Stagg hot chilli can from Woolies with a bit of macaroni and cheese. Bit heavy but feeds two hungry blokes easily.

Try taking tortillas for lunches, I like to use peanut butter and honey on them. Keeps you going well.

Snack foods definitely try and take a fresh apple or two, even dried fruit is fine and helps keep all the other stuff moving through you.

I'm also partial to a shake-n-bake type pancake jug with a small bottle of syrup, plus some Tim's coffee bags.

For cooking I couldn't recommend a Trangia highly enough. They're bloody great bits of gear and not too expensive like many other camping options. I've outcooked many expensive you-beaut pressurised stoves with my good old Trangia, haha.
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by TassieTiger » 30 Jul 2020, 9:59 pm

A easy delicious meal for two - lots protein.
Empty out a 600ml coke bottle, break in 6- 8 eggs so easy to carry them.
Toast or bread for each serve or damper mix.
Biggest can of baked beans Into frying pan - squirt in the eggs and stir. Add some chilli or Tabasco - when eggs are done, serve onto toast - I’ve started cookin it more and more at home now.
Same thing but different - substitute Eggs with cut up / night before snags Or chunks of meat.
Can do similar things with cans soup etc.
I like tinned food - lasts, hardy and taste better than freeze dried.

Another one easy to carry:
2 minute noodles - piss off flavour satchel and replace with A full packet cream of chicken cup of soup. Throw frozen peas and corn - easy and light - delicious and nutritious.

Don’t underestimate a simple satchel of cup soup as a spirit lifter.

Also - take small packet of salt vinegar chips. If you get a rabbit or two (or a bird), save an egg / wash, crush up the packet of chips really fine and use in place of bread crumbs. Into a pan with some hot oil - rusher chips will brown up beautifully.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by on_one_wheel » 30 Jul 2020, 10:17 pm

Anzac biscuits and beef jerky
Light weight and packed with goodness
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 30 Jul 2020, 10:19 pm

Scroggin. A ziplock bag full of mixed dried fruit and mixed nuts. It's light, non-perishable[ish], high in calories and carbs, some protein from the nuts, a little goes a long way. All pluses when you're carrying everything on your back for a week.

the other would be biltong. a chewy protein hit.
Member-Deleted

Post by Oldbloke » 30 Jul 2020, 10:20 pm

No1_49er wrote:There are some very good/nutritious dehydrated/freeze-dried options available. Light weight, all you need is a supply of (clean) water and a means of heating.

+1 pretty surprising whats available at the local super market these days. Plenty of pasta type stuff and fruit bars.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by womble » 31 Jul 2020, 3:51 am

What he said. It’s like theres a dedicated isle for single blokes in between women with limited cooking skills.
Pastas, dried potato mix, rice.
John west tuna cans . Do not forget those. They are the best and omg so many varieties.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Jarhead » 31 Jul 2020, 10:37 am

At Aldi-

The have small Portview Tuna cans for less than $1. They also have small tubs of brown rice in sets of two.

Boil some water, set a rice tub in it after putting a small hole in the top. 10 minutes later, open the tub and add two small sweet chilli tuna cans (keep the whole chilli in there or not- up to you). This is the best quick warm meal on the go I have ever had for $2.50 and it keeps your energy levels up for the rest of the day- it has exactly the right balance of carbs and protein.

Use the hot water to make a coffee with coffee bags from Coles. You can do this at the same time as heating the rice tub.
Regards,

Jarhead
Tikka T3 6.5 CM (2660 fps)

The Mustang looks the fastest but it's not.
Jarhead
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Blr243 » 31 Jul 2020, 12:30 pm

Make your own beef jerk it’s tons cheaper Pasta (add water on the trip)
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 31 Jul 2020, 7:34 pm

Pemmican
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Wodez » 31 Jul 2020, 9:50 pm

I used to always have stag chili when camping.... would know about it the next day.
Tortillas would be handy for lunch. Throw in some left over venison from the night before.
Eggs sound risky. Depends on the weather I guess.
Will definitely be taking jerky.
Some great ideas here. Keep them coming
Wodez
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Wodez » 05 Aug 2020, 7:18 pm

How many calories do people aim for each day?
And how much weight of food per day?
Wodez
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by boingk » 06 Aug 2020, 12:51 am

Wodez wrote:How many calories do people aim for each day?
And how much weight of food per day?

I've got the luxury(?) of being a 6'2" 100kg unit so pack weight doesn't worry me too much, and I tend to make a decent meal and deal with if its enough or not. You should be able to gauge how much food you need. I tend to overshop and lay it out, then work from that. I know that's a crap answer but you need to tailor a menu to you. I feel comfortable with a decent brekky and dinner but not much for lunch. A bit of dried fruit and nuts in between help out and save daylight hours which I usually use for hiking.

Check the woolies aisles for their own-brand box-meals, too. They're 4 bucks a pop and have a good selection, all pasta or rice based with a good sauce. Chicken pad thai, Massaman curry with rice, green chicken curry, the list goes on. They're vac-packed and pre-cooked, usually you microwave them but I find putting the packet in a pot of boiling water for about 10 minutes is about right. They remind me a bit of the old military rations... just better.

- boingk
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by PaddyT » 09 Aug 2020, 1:38 pm

Forget the cans if you are really backpacking into back country, and yep you do need to pack for the full 7 days -you may not shoot anything which means cutting the trip short and you may get delayed- i mainly used freeze dryed stuff as it was light in weight, could be jammed into the pack in various creative ways, i could squash up the packaging after eating and either burn it on the campfire or cart it out (which is probably preferable). A good menu is porridge for breaky , milk will last if its cold and out of the sun or get a tube of Nestle Condensed milk (if youve got a sweet tooth try not to use it all on the first day!), sachet tuna for lunch and the freeze dry meal at dinner (you can hunt around supermarkets or go more expensive from camping suppliers-they do tend to taste a bit better),dry fruit and nuts are excellent snacks and if you are doing the kms you will lose weight anyway .
PaddyT
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Camping, fishing and outdoor recreation