Tick season coming early

Camping, fishing and outdoor recreational activities. Tips, equipment, accessories, hiking and outdoor cooking.

Tick season coming early

Post by dustin » 01 Aug 2013, 3:10 pm

A warning for any shooters with 4 legged friends.

Normally I wouldn't see paralysis ticks out my way for another month or two, however after combing my dog who was looking very wobbly... Sure enough, there one was.

He spent a few days at the vet last year when we nearly lost him to ticks back then.

Looks like they might be early this year, so keep an eye out for the little buggers on your mutts.
dustin
Private
Private

New South Wales

Re: Tick season coming early

Post by Lorgar » 01 Aug 2013, 3:15 pm

My folks live in Sydney on the end of the bush and regularly have this problem with their cats.

Have had a few times in the past where one of the cats wandered over and collapsed right in front of them before they knew anything was up.

The cats get a brush every day or two during season now and they always find a few on them each year.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Rocker » 01 Aug 2013, 9:36 pm

They're bad news that's for sure. I know a few people that have lost dogs to them.

I think the problem is that by the time the dog shows signs of weakness the tick has been on them for 2-3 days and the points already pumping through them :(

Tough to get ahead of them...
Sako A7 30-06
Marlin 1895 Guide Gun 45-70
Rocker
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by dustin » 01 Aug 2013, 9:37 pm

Rocker wrote:I think the problem is that by the time the dog shows signs of weakness the tick has been on them for 2-3 days and the points already pumping through them :(

Tough to get ahead of them...

That's more or less the stories I've heard too. Pet is fine 1 days, falls down sick the next.
dustin
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Aster » 02 Aug 2013, 11:33 am

dustin wrote:That's more or less the stories I've heard too. Pet is fine 1 days, falls down sick the next.

That's it.

Animals need regular checks during season to find them before the damage is done.
See you on the firing line.
Aster

-

Post by Supporter » 02 Aug 2013, 11:52 am

I used to live outside Brisbane before I moved to WA.

Pulled a few off us and the dogs every year without fail. Itches for daaays after you remove one.
Winchester 1894 30-30
Howa Varminter .204 Ruger
Savage Model 10/110 Trophy Hunter XP 30-06 Springfield
Supporter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Broom » 02 Aug 2013, 2:03 pm

Supporter wrote:Pulled a few off us and the dogs every year without fail. Itches for daaays after you remove one.

I must be allergic to them or something. I pulled one off my chest once, after my chest looked Tiger Woods had driven a golf ball into it.
Ruger Gunsite Scout in three oh eight. Oh yeah!
Broom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Return to Camping, fishing and outdoor recreation