Price of meat vs game

Camping, fishing and outdoor recreational activities. Tips, equipment, accessories, hiking and outdoor cooking.

Re: Price of meat vs game

Post by Grandadbushy » 26 Oct 2020, 12:31 pm

Yep i agree Skinna to grow or hunt for one self is cheaper meat, but to buy meat the meat is dearer, there are costs involved ie ''the business game'', if you like beef , roo, crocodile what ever, the more exotic it is the more expensive it is , then there is game meat, not always does it fit some peoples taste so another issue, up here roo steaks are $48 kg, croc steak $79 kg, i think you know where this goes price wise, so my take on the question is if you are going to buy meat, the game most likely will be more expensive but to grow kill yourself for those that can, both meats will be similar in price if everything is taken into consideration, but will still be cheaper than bought meat .
Grandadbushy
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Grandadbushy » 26 Oct 2020, 12:41 pm

And yes TT game meat will never catch farmed meat, (1) the beef market is too big (2) the Greens wouldn't let it (3) i doubt there would be enough game animals even if they were farmed, It's a shame there's a whole world of business to be capitalised on but for the red tape :unknown:
Grandadbushy
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Grandadbushy » 26 Oct 2020, 12:58 pm

G'day Zeige how big do you consider good eating size for a pig mate? I class a good size along with most butchers @ 50kg to 65kg, 10 years ago i could buy a 50kg pig from the slaughter yard for $298 today it will cost you $500 plus breaking down, if you are getting them for $100 @50kg then you are on a good thing i can't grow them for that the sucker costs $75 to start with and i run to a strict feed program with plenty of protein and and starch with mineral tracers all mixed and put into bags as pellet form @$25 to $27 per bag , the amount i use is in a post back further, but mate your on a good thing at $100 for a eating size pig :thumbsup: :drinks:
Grandadbushy
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by eddievic » 26 Oct 2020, 6:04 pm

GDB mate i am not saying that your way is wrong. Its actually probably the best way. If you have the land you know what you eating. Probably why home grown fruit and veggies taste so much better.

The supermarket is basically the biggest part of cost of meat (or anything), they have those huge distribution centres with robots to build, those self checkout machines to install, electricity etc :sarcasm:

The farmer is always the one that does the most work and usually makes the least profit, esp with intensive farming where feed, vets and even the stock is controlled by some very very big boys... those running the abattoirs.

Hence even if game meat was to reach a supermarket shelf it would probably cost more than beef/lamb.... as there would be a smaller market to buy the product so for supermarket to make their money they would increase the sale price.

Regarding my other comment. Mate it is your choice. I look at it as if i got sick for a few weeks or months i would have to pay someone to feed my animals, if so why not pay myself for my time (can be imaginary money if you prefer, but atleast then i know what my time is worth) and if i am doing that, i look at what's the minimum casual wage in Australia (as an example). Same way if my children do certain extra chores they know they can supliment their pocket money. this hopefully teaches them some important life lessons.
117, 22lr, 223, 243, 264, 308, 338, 416, 20g 12g

Soo many, but not enough
eddievic
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Ziege » 26 Oct 2020, 6:56 pm

Grandadbushy wrote:G'day Zeige how big do you consider good eating size for a pig mate? I class a good size along with most butchers @ 50kg to 65kg, 10 years ago i could buy a 50kg pig from the slaughter yard for $298 today it will cost you $500 plus breaking down, if you are getting them for $100 @50kg then you are on a good thing i can't grow them for that the sucker costs $75 to start with and i run to a strict feed program with plenty of protein and and starch with mineral tracers all mixed and put into bags as pellet form @$25 to $27 per bag , the amount i use is in a post back further, but mate your on a good thing at $100 for a eating size pig :thumbsup: :drinks:

yeah cobb, about 70kg or less, live weight obviously. We have 3 competing piggeries here and even then they arent the biggest, not to mention tonnes of people breeding them as a sideline to their sheep and cattle. Something just off suckling is around the $35 mark at most of them. drive over one more town and they often have them cheaper again, a private breeder often wants $100 for a decent 60kg hog, the piggeries often want $150 a beast. like i say an older boar thats coniderably larger, and gamyer, is often $225 to $300 depending on the bloke ya buying off, with the sheep herds taking a s**t this summer as there isnt much rain you will see them probably increase in value a bit, but they take more effort to process properly after theyre killed. so when sheep get dense again and they arent fetching $150+ a head then the pork will be cheap again as always. Supermarket price for pork in WA is roughly $6 to $10 a kilo...
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by Grandadbushy » 26 Oct 2020, 9:09 pm

Yeah fair enough Ziege mate and that's cheap mate for pork, a 70kg pig (live weight ) would dress out to about 45kg with no head , that's still a fairly good size to eat and older pigs ie boars or sows make good sausages as you said also good bacon , i myself actually prefer older and bigger pigs for bacon they have the right taste to me, Geez mate you've got cheap pork over there compared to here , you would be able to buy it almost the same price as i can grow it or even cheaper .
Grandadbushy
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 26 Oct 2020, 9:12 pm

Bloody hell Z, I’m sending trucks your way - we will make a fortune selling them in Tas...that is so cheap.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Ziege » 26 Oct 2020, 9:23 pm

not kidding you, but no doubt there are biosecurity and breed management and state laws in place to stop all that. we produce a lot of pork in WA and a lot of it finds its way to export (once processed) This is the job I had when in my late teens. like I said pork on the shelf goes from between $6 and $10 bucks, sure there are smallgoods that cost more but even nice smoky bacon from a butcher is rarely over $14 a kilo. and yes swanky shops will charge a lot more, but then the butcher in the next town over only charges $10 a kilo for pork chops, roast, steaks etc.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 26 Oct 2020, 9:31 pm

We are paying over $25 a kilo for pork from a butcher, that you wouldn’t call prime cuts. I think major supers are around $21 a kg so WA is killing it there.
Lamb cutlets $34 a kg. Lamb shanks that they used to give away for dogs a few years back - $15 a kg and they are obviously mainly bone...

Probably the biggest meat seller in tassie is chicken breast ($11-15 a kg) or whole birds at approx $12 each cooked for a large(ish) bird...but we all know how they grow so fast...and that’s a bit of a worry.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Grandadbushy » 26 Oct 2020, 9:32 pm

Yes eddievic mate i understand what you are saying mate and that's your take on the matter and i respect that mate , The fact of the matter is if you want to eat or buy exotic meat you'll pay for it ,if you want to buy/eat beef then you'll probably pay a little less, if you want to grow it and eat your own meat it will be considerably cheaper than both the bought and exotic ( game) if it's done properly and if you do it on an every day basis for yourself then i believe time doesn't come into it especially if you have plenty of it on hand, if i couldn't do it cheaper or have the time to do it i wouldn't be doing it myself i'd just buy meat but at the moment i;m growing meat cheaper, enjoying it and have plenty of time on my hands so cost of time doesn't come into it , for me anyhow. But i do understand not everyone can do that.
Grandadbushy
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Ziege » 26 Oct 2020, 9:48 pm

TassieTiger wrote:We are paying over $25 a kilo for pork from a butcher, that you wouldn’t call prime cuts. I think major supers are around $21 a kg so WA is killing it there.
Lamb cutlets $34 a kg. Lamb shanks that they used to give away for dogs a few years back - $15 a kg and they are obviously mainly bone...

Probably the biggest meat seller in tassie is chicken breast ($11-15 a kg) or whole birds at approx $12 each cooked for a large(ish) bird...but we all know how they grow so fast...and that’s a bit of a worry.

Well there ya go, clearly very different markets, lamb on the other hand here can bring up to $45 a kilo for cutlets here, admittedly the local IGA charges closer to $16 a kilo for pork but screw them and drive the 20mins to the other stores lol.

sure does reflect the higher price you guys are quoting for Pigs over there.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Previous

Return to Camping, fishing and outdoor recreation