Light weight pot/pan for both gas and campfire cooking.

Camping, fishing and outdoor recreational activities. Tips, equipment, accessories, hiking and outdoor cooking.

Light weight pot/pan for both gas and campfire cooking.

Post by Wodez » 22 Nov 2020, 7:25 pm

I’m chasing a light weight pan that is safe to use on a camp fire as well as a gas cooker/jet boil for backpack hunting.
Not sure what brand or material I should be looking for.
I believe most pots that come with gas hiking burners are not meant to be used on fire/coals.
And most campfire cookware i have found is too heavy.
Wodez
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Light weight pot/pan for both gas and campfire cooking.

Post by Ziege » 22 Nov 2020, 8:00 pm

I bought the aldi kit a while ago, packs away small, great setup, maybe see if ya can find one or something comparable?
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by Wodez » 23 Nov 2020, 3:47 pm

Ziege wrote:I bought the aldi kit a while ago, packs away small, great setup, maybe see if ya can find one or something comparable?

My hiking gas burner is just from Aldi. It came with 2 pots but I doubt they would be suitable for on the coals of a camp fire. I’ll see if I still have the instructions but seems everything these days has a disclaimer.
Wodez
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 23 Nov 2020, 4:19 pm

So something that is ok for gas is ideally not necessarily ok for the fire pit? Why is this ?
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Ziege » 23 Nov 2020, 4:29 pm

Gas heat concentration is pretty high, hence using gas torches to cut and weld metal not burning logs. I think it would be fine.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by Farmerpete » 23 Nov 2020, 7:35 pm

Dixie you want yourself a Dixie (pretty sure that's what they called them) we had them for air cadets its a foldable rectangular pot/frypan thing used in conjunction with a funny ridiculous eating device or F.R.E.D. for short to eat your issued stale surplus air force rations with.
Farmerpete
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Wodez » 27 Nov 2020, 5:52 pm

Farmerpete wrote:Dixie you want yourself a Dixie (pretty sure that's what they called them) we had them for air cadets its a foldable rectangular pot/frypan thing used in conjunction with a funny ridiculous eating device or F.R.E.D. for short to eat your issued stale surplus air force rations with.

I have a mess tin which is very similar to a Dixie. Some say they are the same thing. Others say Dixie is for cooking and mess is for serving/eating out of. Not sure which is correct but I have been told once or twice to not cook in my mess tin. This is why I’m looking for a replacement. But if I can find a Dixie that specifies it is gas fire and campfire safe I’ll go with it.
Wodez
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Pudlux » 27 Nov 2020, 7:05 pm

Dixies were a great bit of gear. One large, one small rectangular alloy dish with handles that rattled no end. Designed for use on hexamine (or like) stoves. We mostly cooked in cups canteen cos they were easier to clean and balance. Not sure how they would go on coals. In Army the FRED was a F*^ken Ridiculous Eating Device. Another great bit of gear.
Pudlux
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 27 Nov 2020, 8:09 pm

Farmerpete wrote:Dixie you want yourself a Dixie (pretty sure that's what they called them) we had them for air cadets its a foldable rectangular pot/frypan thing used in conjunction with a funny ridiculous eating device or F.R.E.D. for short to eat your issued stale surplus air force rations with.

Yes mate they were known as dixies however the military name was pan set messing.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 27 Nov 2020, 9:10 pm

Are we talking about the steel army cup that is shaped too fit around the green hip water bottles?
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 28 Nov 2020, 5:30 am

Blr243 wrote:Are we talking about the steel army cup that is shaped too fit around the green hip water bottles?

No mate that is called a cups canteen. Dixies were two rectangle shallow tins that fitted inside each other.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 28 Nov 2020, 7:46 am

Thanks Jim , I bought a alum version of cups canteen steel, my idea was a slight weight Decrease Over steel because when I was younger I used to do two day back pack walks / bow hunts along dry creeks on cape York ...but the heat transfer difference between ally and steel was such that after taking the cup off the fire I was always burning my lips. I learned the hard way
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 28 Nov 2020, 8:37 am

:lol: yes mate you’re definitely not the first or only bloke that nearly burned his lips off on them. They are bloody nasty. I just run one of those jet boil burners now.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 28 Nov 2020, 10:50 am

K mart now have a copy of the jet boil burner .....it’s 49 bucks and comes with a big billy tin ...I take it to work sometimes if I can’t be bothered driving to a shop
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Return to Camping, fishing and outdoor recreation