Snakes

Camping, fishing and outdoor recreational activities. Tips, equipment, accessories, hiking and outdoor cooking.

Snakes

Post by ThePlinkster » 03 Jan 2021, 7:25 pm

I am currently in the market to buy some “snake proof gaiters” just to er on the side of caution when I came across this interesting article about snakes in Australia

Interesting read:

“Australia on average has 2 snake bites fatalities each year which is just 0.007 out of every 100,000 people”

“We have approximately 550 people attend hospital due to snake bites in Australia, resulting in just 2 fatalities. 2 out of 550 is a mortality rate of 0.36%. That is to say that each year 0.36% of people bitten by a snake, die from the snake bite. So the chances of being bitten in the first place are really small, and then the chance of dying is infinitesimal”

“It is not hikers that are die from snakes. Of the snake bites that do occur in Austalia, 54% of snake bite fatalities in the last 20 years have occurred in people’s homes, not out in the bush”

“Most bites from Australian snakes are “dry” as no venom is injected. From the 550 people who report to hospital each year due to snake bite, only about (7% of them) 40 people are treated with anti-venom because the bites are dry”

“Our snakes generally have very small teeth that are way up in the back of their jaws. They evolved to kill mice and small mammals, not humans. For an Australian snake to kill you, they need to get a really good purchase on you, which is pretty hard to do, unless you are either unlucky, or doing something you shouldn’t”

https://www.inspirationoutdoors.com.au/ ... australia/
Last edited by ThePlinkster on 04 Jan 2021, 7:46 am, edited 9 times in total.
ThePlinkster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: Snakes

Post by Pudlux » 03 Jan 2021, 7:38 pm

Good stat if you are not in the .36%. I'll stick with my venoms.
Pudlux
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 03 Jan 2021, 7:47 pm

Quite a lot of snakes around now.

Snake bite is unlikely to kill you, but it can make you very sick and is best avoided :-)

Compression bandages are a very good thing to have on you, they slow down the passage of venom through the blood vessels.
You can buy them marketed as "snake bite bandages", but they're just a compression bandage that has markings on them to indicate how tight they need to be wrapped.

Because we are likely to meet snakes every day on the farm I'm always aware of them.
I wear high Army boots (Russian wool-lined ones) with my trousers bloused over the top every day.
I took some pics for you this arvo.
20210103_160849b.jpg
20210103_160849b.jpg (622.98 KiB) Viewed 7252 times

20210103_160907b.jpg
20210103_160907b.jpg (579.51 KiB) Viewed 7252 times

I use Army Cadet "Lackies" that stay around my boots even when I'm not using them.
https://www.surpluscity.com.au/collections/military-1/products/pants-elastic

ThePlinkster wrote:I am currently in the market to buy some “snake proof gaiters” just to er on the side of caution when I came across this interesting article about snakes

Interesting read

“We have approximately 550 people attend hospital due to snake bites in Australia, resulting in just 2 fatalities. 2 out of 550 is a mortality rate of 0.36%. That is to say that each year 0.36% of people bitten by a snake, die from the snake bite. So the chances of being bitten in the first place are really small, and then the chance of dying is infinitesimal”

https://www.inspirationoutdoors.com.au/ ... australia/
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by ThePlinkster » 03 Jan 2021, 8:03 pm

Judging from those pictures, those boots look quite solid BladeRacer
If I were to:
- wear those boots (or something similar)
- wear snake proof gaiters
- watch carefully wear I walk (watch each step that I take)
I would feel very secure I reckon
:thumbsup:

And yes
Compression bandages are a must on my list
:)
ThePlinkster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 03 Jan 2021, 8:12 pm

Quite a lot of spiders around just now as well it seems.
I had two run-ins today with large huntsmans that wanted to run all over me while I was trying to move them to safety.
I think we must have a whole family of them living in the cab of the ute too :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Farmerpete » 03 Jan 2021, 8:31 pm

Just throwing it out there but I don't believe no.5 dor a second. I know tree snakes and the like have them at the back but the more aggressive ones tend to be at the front.

I also know from personal experience that a big coastal taipan will chase you out of its territory in summer... and you'll need to change your underwear after it does.

On another note my dad got bitten by a death adder when he was 2 (1951) he still has aches and pains in his foot where he got bit.

I reckon gaiters are an absolute must when hiking through scrub.
Farmerpete
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 03 Jan 2021, 9:48 pm

Leather boots and Standard gaiters , and a couple of bandages in my mini pack is all I do ...I stepped on a snake once Accidentally and it did not even strike. It just waited till I got off and it slithered away ....I think it’s worth preparing for them but not worrying about them
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by markg » 03 Jan 2021, 11:58 pm

No 5 is very misleading most venomous are "elapidae" front fanged snakes. A snake bite can and will kill you if not acted upon straight away or you are remote and no bandage etc. Their fangs might be small but the venom they pack makes up for it.
markg
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by womble » 04 Jan 2021, 4:20 am

There’s a big difference between qld and vic snakes.
I,ve stepped on a few in vic and they haven’t barely moved. But on the really hot days they can be very active and the tigers are a worry. Generally though snakes in vic want to avoid you. Unless it’s hot they are really docile.
Qld, i,ve been hunted by a taipan and was’nt even that far north.
I walked my dogs down to the river to drink and cool off. It followed us back. And it was’nt little. Later that week a funnel web in a bush dunny got really angry at me too. He was going to have me. I’m used to red backs.

I question whether taipans really do just live on rats and mice etc. if so, why do they need enough venom to kill 10 elephants in 5 minutes. Those things are psychos. If i see one i run.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by wanneroo » 04 Jan 2021, 5:15 am

Snakes are one reason why I prefer to do my travels in Australia in the winter time.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Larry » 04 Jan 2021, 9:32 am

The bite may not kill you but it can really make a mess of you. A lot of the poisons are nerve agents and muscle killers. As others have said the effects can last years.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by ThePlinkster » 04 Jan 2021, 11:29 am

BladeRacer;
I dont mind spiders too much
It's snakes that I like to be the most careful of

FarmerPete;
Yeah
From what you've just said
It definitely sounds like gaiters are an absolute must
I was a bit 50/50 about it previously
But after what you've just said
I'll definitely buy a pair of gaiters to be careful
A good pair of "snake proof gaiters" would definitely give me good peace of mind
That's for sure

Blr243;
Yeah man
- wearing leather boots
- wearing snake proof gaiters
- wearing thick/loose pants
- having compression bandages
- watching where you walk
- keeping your distance from a snake when you see one
That's all you can do to avoid snake bites in the bush I reckon
Doing all of those things, that's perfectly fine
You wouldn't have much to worry about at all if you do all of those things
You're right
Which is great

MarkG;
I agree
Australia would be a lot more pleasant for hiking/hunting if we didn't have snakes lol
New Zealand is lucky
They don't have to worry about snakes over there at all lol
Lucky them

Womble;
Yeah
I heard that Queensland snakes are more aggressive than Victorian snakes
That's good for me a little lol
(Since I live in Victoria and plan to hunt in Victoria alone)

Wannaroo;
Yeah
Snakes are the reason as to why I was considering NOT getting into hunting
But
If I wear;
- leather boots
- thick loose pants
- snake proof gaiters
- if I watch wear I walk
- if I have compression bandages with me
- if I'm cautious/on alert
The Fact that;
- only around 100x people are bitten by snakes every year in VIC needing hospitalisation
- only 7% of those 100x people are actually injected with poison during the bite
- snake bites only amounting to a fatality rate of 0.36%
I reckon there's no reason to be "too alarmist" about snakes
You have to be cautious, yes, for sure, 100%, definitely
But afraid, maybe not so much

Larry;
Yes
I agree
It's best to stay as far away from snakes as possible
That's for sure
ThePlinkster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Peter988 » 04 Jan 2021, 11:51 am

It’s an interesting one. A lot of people have a bit of a phobia about snakes and can go a bit overboard in prevention. Up until about 10 years ago I had only seen a handful of snakes in 40 years shooting. Sightings are quite rare - mostly because they get out of your way. Most of that experience was western NSW. Though I did do some hiking in Tasmania some years back and was blown away by the number of tiger snakes we saw. These days I do a fair bit of cod fishing in the New England. Snake sightings are nearly a daily occurrence and I wear gum boots when fishing. When I see a snake I just stamp the ground a couple times and that usually moves them on. Blacks and red bellies mainly. And yes, I carry compression bandages. But I still don’t bother with any protection when I am hunting away from the river. Like I said - they get out of the way. Spiders annoy me more when you walk into their webs in the dark. Been bitten on the face once from that.
Peter988
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by womble » 04 Jan 2021, 12:52 pm

Over the summer in vic I’ll see at least one every time I’m in state forests, but I’m covering a lot of ground with a vehicle going to different locations to check cameras etc.
Completely agree with peter above. They are trying to get away from you. I don’t wear anything extra around the ankles for them.
Have a snake kit in the ute which has never been opened so i don’t even know what’s in it. Probably just a big ass bandage.
I usually spot them ahead crossing my path and moving fast.
First thought is holy crap that’s a big snake in a hurry. Must be being chased by an even bigger snake.
But no mr. snake was just sun baking until you scared him away. He means you no harm and unless you corner him and poke him with a stick and torment him, he won’t bite you.
Iit’s good to be prepared, but theres really nothing to worry about. In the southern states anyway.

If you have dogs though, they will bail them up and torment them. One of my dogs bolted past me with a blue tongue lizard attached to it’s nose about a month back.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 04 Jan 2021, 12:52 pm

When you are just walking in the bush it's unlikely you'll see snakes as they'll know you're coming and will scoot into hiding.
When hunting though you are moving very, very quietly, and slowly, and sitting or lying for long periods in the grass.
This is when you are more likely to encounter a snake, when your head and upper body are close to the ground, within striking distance.
Long sleeves with fairly tight cuffs and shirt buttoned up will protect most of you from bites and minimise ingress of insects and leeches.
And gloves are a good idea when crawling through bush.

ThePlinkster wrote:BladeRacer;
I dont mind spiders too much
It's snakes that I like to be the most careful of

FarmerPete;
Yeah
From what you've just said
It definitely sounds like gaiters are an absolute must
I was a bit 50/50 about it previously
But after what you've just said
I'll definitely buy a pair of gaiters to be careful
A good pair of "snake proof gaiters" would definitely give me good peace of mind
That's for sure

Blr243;
Yeah man
- wearing leather boots
- wearing snake proof gaiters
- wearing thick/loose pants
- having compression bandages
- watching where you walk
- keeping your distance from a snake when you see one
That's all you can do to avoid snake bites in the bush I reckon
Doing all of those things, that's perfectly fine
You wouldn't have much to worry about at all if you do all of those things
You're right
Which is great

MarkG;
I agree
Australia would be a lot more pleasant for hiking/hunting if we didn't have snakes lol
New Zealand is lucky
They don't have to worry about snakes over there at all lol
Lucky them

Womble;
Yeah
I heard that Queensland snakes are more aggressive than Victorian snakes
That's good for me a little lol
(Since I live in Victoria and plan to hunt in Victoria alone)

Wannaroo;
Yeah
Snakes are the reason as to why I was considering NOT getting into hunting
But
If I wear;
- leather boots
- thick loose pants
- snake proof gaiters
- if I watch wear I walk
- if I have compression bandages with me
- if I'm cautious/on alert
The Fact that;
- only around 100x people are bitten by snakes every year in VIC needing hospitalisation
- only 7% of those 100x people are actually injected with poison during the bite
- snake bites only amounting to a fatality rate of 0.36%
I reckon there's no reason to be "too alarmist" about snakes
You have to be cautious, yes, for sure, 100%, definitely
But afraid, maybe not so much

Larry;
Yes
I agree
It's best to stay as far away from snakes as possible
That's for sure
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 04 Jan 2021, 2:24 pm

I had a hairy experience while hunting about 25 years ago. Long story saw about 20 big tigers in 15 minutes.

I was a long way from camp and then an hours drive to nearest hospital. Most slithered away. The biggest was very aggressive and struck a few times missing. My lucky day.

Since that day dont worry about them.

My advice is wear thongs and shorts. Lol.... just kidding about the thongs :)
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 04 Jan 2021, 3:50 pm

Oldbloke wrote:I had a hairy experience while hunting about 25 years ago. Long story saw about 20 big tigers in 15 minutes.

I was a long way from camp and then an hours drive to nearest hospital. Most slithered away. The biggest was very aggressive and struck a few times missing. My lucky day.

Since that day dont worry about them.

My advice is wear thongs and shorts. Lol.... just kidding about the thongs :)

A truck driver told me he lifted a 20ft shipping container that had been on a farm for several decades, a whole tribe of browns came tearing out from under it.
I know Bob has killed quite a few browns and tigers here on the farm over the years, but they're not as common as the black snakes.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Larry » 04 Jan 2021, 5:11 pm

I have quite a few black snakes or red bellied what ever you like to call them. They hang out down near the dams I had one come directly at me once but I later found out that they are supposedly very placid their diet is 95% frogs. it was probably trying to get back to its home I was standing in the way of. I also have a few browns and I have killed a few browns they are quick and aggressive they hang out near the sheds and chickens probably after mice also found them eating the strawberries I used to have lots of tiger snakes around but in the last few years have not seen one.

I dont take any precautions against them just keep an eye out for them.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by JohnV » 04 Jan 2021, 6:06 pm

When you are sleeping in a shearing shed and wake up to a king brown coming at you across the floor because your dog was barking and going at the snake you don't think about statistics believe me .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by bigpete » 04 Jan 2021, 8:02 pm

I've lived in a place where it was not uncommon to see 20 or 30 tiger snakes in a 20 minute walk....didn't worry me then and still doesn't worry me now.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by GQshayne » 04 Jan 2021, 8:23 pm

Summer attire in Qld for me has always been boots and shorts. Perhaps, when you grow up with them you learn to be wary but not scared, if that makes sense.

But there is no doubt, if you are walking off in the boonies and one gets you, then you have a serious problem.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 04 Jan 2021, 10:15 pm

GQshayne wrote:Summer attire in Qld for me has always been boots and shorts. Perhaps, when you grow up with them you learn to be wary but not scared, if that makes sense.

But there is no doubt, if you are walking off in the boonies and one gets you, then you have a serious problem.

Correct. And more so if, like myself and many hunters you hunt on your own. Good reason to do a basic first aid course IMO.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JohnV » 05 Jan 2021, 6:19 am

Most people don't know how to treat a snake bit properly and how to behave . The two things you need if bitten is an EPIRB so you can call help to you and a snake bite kit with 6 long crepe bandages . If you get a good bite from a Brown snake that has plenty of venom or even multiple bites . If you try and walk out your probably dead . Many people who survived doing the wrong thing is because the snake was probably low on venom and they never got a real good bite .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by wanneroo » 05 Jan 2021, 10:22 am

JohnV wrote:When you are sleeping in a shearing shed and wake up to a king brown coming at you across the floor because your dog was barking and going at the snake you don't think about statistics believe me .

Exactly. Just like my black bear encounter, it's all fun and games until you see those teeth and there are no steel bars like at the zoo between you and the bear.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Blr243 » 05 Jan 2021, 12:42 pm

There’s some interesting vids on u tube showing Black bears climbing Trees to get up to hunters in stands. The bear sniffs the hunter s body and presses his nose up against the hunter. And to my surprise the hunter is just sitting still and not losing his composure ......too close for me no thanks
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by womble » 05 Jan 2021, 12:51 pm

Worse still when the bears here drop on you from above.
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by JohnV » 05 Jan 2021, 1:45 pm

wanneroo wrote:
JohnV wrote:When you are sleeping in a shearing shed and wake up to a king brown coming at you across the floor because your dog was barking and going at the snake you don't think about statistics believe me .

Exactly. Just like my black bear encounter, it's all fun and games until you see those teeth and there are no steel bars like at the zoo between you and the bear.

Yeah Bears even worse .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by JohnV » 05 Jan 2021, 1:55 pm

Blr243 wrote:There’s some interesting vids on u tube showing Black bears climbing Trees to get up to hunters in stands. The bear sniffs the hunter s body and presses his nose up against the hunter. And to my surprise the hunter is just sitting still and not losing his composure ......too close for me no thanks

Adrenaline junkies all end up dead before their time . The one that really angered me was the stupid man that allegedly talked to bears or some garbage , then took his naive girlfriend with him and they both got eaten . He deserved it she didn't .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by bladeracer » 05 Jan 2021, 3:45 pm

JohnV wrote:Most people don't know how to treat a snake bit properly and how to behave . The two things you need if bitten is an EPIRB so you can call help to you and a snake bite kit with 6 long crepe bandages . If you get a good bite from a Brown snake that has plenty of venom or even multiple bites . If you try and walk out your probably dead . Many people who survived doing the wrong thing is because the snake was probably low on venom and they never got a real good bite .

This is true, though I will never understand why people aren't taught the basics of first aid as part of the school curriculum.
https://www.stjohnvic.com.au/news/snake-bite-first-aid-tips/

Another very good reason to put kids through Cadet units in my opinion, I learned heaps of real-world knowledge that I never would've gained through the school system.
https://www.armycadets.gov.au/
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JohnV » 05 Jan 2021, 7:31 pm

bladeracer wrote:
JohnV wrote:Most people don't know how to treat a snake bit properly and how to behave . The two things you need if bitten is an EPIRB so you can call help to you and a snake bite kit with 6 long crepe bandages . If you get a good bite from a Brown snake that has plenty of venom or even multiple bites . If you try and walk out your probably dead . Many people who survived doing the wrong thing is because the snake was probably low on venom and they never got a real good bite .

This is true, though I will never understand why people aren't taught the basics of first aid as part of the school curriculum.
https://www.stjohnvic.com.au/news/snake-bite-first-aid-tips/

Another very good reason to put kids through Cadet units in my opinion, I learned heaps of real-world knowledge that I never would've gained through the school system.
https://www.armycadets.gov.au/

Yes it's strange in Australia . I have done two first aid courses in Public service and one in the Military and none of those touched on snake bites but I also did a survival course in the Military and that had a section on snake bite treatment .
The best write up I have seen is in an Australian National Medical journal way back . I might still have it , might .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Next

Return to Camping, fishing and outdoor recreation