Snakes vs other potential hazards

Camping, fishing and outdoor recreational activities. Tips, equipment, accessories, hiking and outdoor cooking.

Re: Snakes vs other potential hazards

Post by Blr243 » 06 Jan 2021, 1:33 pm

Once in Qld there was a pig that lived with the cows instead of living with other pigs. I don’t know why. I shot the pig and the cows got mad as if I had shot one of them. That was the only time I was scared of cattle. No other times has any breed ever looked like goin me
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 06 Jan 2021, 1:37 pm

JohnV wrote:The old short wheelbase Landcruiser was very agile in the bush but yeah most Lancruisers are solid 4x4x's .
I am very surprised how capable my Nissan x-trail is with the limited slip diffs and electronic braking traction control .
You can't go off road in any rough stuff but on sand , muddy roads and tracks , it goes great . Did you spot any diamonds ?

It was the reason I insisted on a Landcruiser for the farm, this place is steep (rises 33m over 200m distance), and often very, very wet. My Hilux would not have coped well at all :-)

I found a rock that is almost transparent, white and about 40mm in a rough spherical shape. No idea what it is, probably quartz, but the blackfellas swore it was diamond. Haven't seen it since we moved over from Perth so it either went missing or is still in a box of bits somewhere. If it were a diamond it would belong to Argyle by law anyway.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 06 Jan 2021, 1:38 pm

Blr243 wrote:Once in Qld there was a pig that lived with the cows instead of living with other pigs. I don’t know why. I shot the pig and the cows got mad as if I had shot one of them. That was the only time I was scared of cattle. No other times has any breed ever looked like goin me

You shot it in front of the cows?????
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by wanneroo » 06 Jan 2021, 1:41 pm

The biggest issue I have seen "in the bush" over the years has been heat exhaustion or heat stroke.

Second issue I have seen frequently enough is strikes from deer or other wildlife.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by bladeracer » 06 Jan 2021, 1:50 pm

Blr243 wrote:Blade I did not get to the ord spot. Fished at kunnanurra hooked my first Barra. Most of my bush stuff in west oz was amazeing fishing in Broome. A bit of fresh water fishing inland. And donkey shooting on a few stations. Glad I spent time in the Kimberly’s.....I still have dreams about watching fresh water Barra swimming in water so clear u can see fish clearly way down in the gorge country where no wind so the surface is ripple free like glass .......spent some time in army land cruisers in the Kimberly’s. Tough reliable go anywhere machines

I was working on some Aboriginal communities, but picked up an aboriginal girlfriend from Broome while I was there. I absolutely love the area, and especially the bush blackfellas, the town ones not so much, but nobody likes them. Sitting around a fire in the evening talking with them while they're cleaning kangaroo intestines and the kids are running up and down to the creek (1000m away) with frogs to throw on the fire before eating them whole. Amazing times. Unfortunately, my girlfriend died way too young, like so many others, from Diabetes.

My dad emigrated to Oz in '66 and got into the State Housing Commission as a building inspector just to get out to the communities (I was born at Point McCleay on the Coorong - now called Raukkan). Before that he worked in the desert communities of Iran and Saudi Arabia. He just adored indigenous peoples. I grew up in places like Tennant Creek, Alice Springs, Darwin, Wyndham, South Hedland and Mount Newman before ending up in Perth.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 06 Jan 2021, 6:49 pm

When I shot the pig I did not know it had bonded with the cows. I found out later when I spoke to the grazier. I spend some time fishing with aboriginals in Broome. They knew when to fish and where to fish and did so Successfully with very primitive equipment ....
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by JohnV » 06 Jan 2021, 7:00 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Blr243 wrote:Blade I did not get to the ord spot. Fished at kunnanurra hooked my first Barra. Most of my bush stuff in west oz was amazeing fishing in Broome. A bit of fresh water fishing inland. And donkey shooting on a few stations. Glad I spent time in the Kimberly’s.....I still have dreams about watching fresh water Barra swimming in water so clear u can see fish clearly way down in the gorge country where no wind so the surface is ripple free like glass .......spent some time in army land cruisers in the Kimberly’s. Tough reliable go anywhere machines

I was working on some Aboriginal communities, but picked up an aboriginal girlfriend from Broome while I was there. I absolutely love the area, and especially the bush blackfellas, the town ones not so much, but nobody likes them. Sitting around a fire in the evening talking with them while they're cleaning kangaroo intestines and the kids are running up and down to the creek (1000m away) with frogs to throw on the fire before eating them whole. Amazing times. Unfortunately, my girlfriend died way too young, like so many others, from Diabetes.

My dad emigrated to Oz in '66 and got into the State Housing Commission as a building inspector just to get out to the communities (I was born at Point McCleay on the Coorong - now called Raukkan). Before that he worked in the desert communities of Iran and Saudi Arabia. He just adored indigenous peoples. I grew up in places like Tennant Creek, Alice Springs, Darwin, Wyndham, South Hedland and Mount Newman before ending up in Perth.

Very interesting stuff , thanks for sharing .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Oldbloke » 06 Jan 2021, 7:03 pm

Getting lost.
Heat exhaustion or hypothermia
Mine shafts
Simply tripping over
Last edited by Oldbloke on 07 Jan 2021, 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by ScottyD » 06 Jan 2021, 9:38 pm

When I was a youngish bloke (mid 1980s), my mate took me away with his family and their mates shooting at Quirindi. One of the other mates also took a young mate of his. They were going up a ridge away from us, and the young bloke stepped on top of a largish rock, which promptly rolled and pinned his leg pretty solidly. Took couple guys to get it off him, he was really stuck.

Luckily it didn't break his leg, but it was badly bruised and scraped.
ScottyD
Private
Private

New South Wales

Previous

Return to Camping, fishing and outdoor recreation