Snakes vs other potential hazards

Camping, fishing and outdoor recreational activities. Tips, equipment, accessories, hiking and outdoor cooking.

Snakes vs other potential hazards

Post by Blr243 » 04 Jan 2021, 2:33 pm

Plinksters posts regarding snakes made me think about other hazards and what is more likely To give us grief while out hunting ..... I’m interested to hear other experience s To see what are the most likely problem s we might encounter ......once I got into trouble up cape York In The heat trying to find water..... twice in New Zealand hunting thar I was quite scared of falling to my death on very steep slippery terrain. Twice I flew over the handlebars of my motorcycle. I stepped on one snake and about a dozen boars have tried to get me . Once I crashed thru a fallen tree on my motorbike at high speed chaseingg a dingo across the flats . But I still have not actually been hurt out in the bush ... your turn. Spill your guts
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Re: Snakes vs other potential hazards

Post by CAVEMAN » 04 Jan 2021, 2:46 pm

On the water point something to gather and treat ground water can be handy. Terrain dependent off course.

I have one of the following, it does add a smidge of wait. But can double as just a normal bottle plus lets you pick up water from unknown sources. Not a bad insurance policy.

https://thegrayl.com.au/

But will caveat this with no ground water = no drinky drink. Gotta pick your battles.

Plus a handy Bik lighter is also a pretty decent insurance policy.
"Well if it ain't an 8 inch, i'm not paying"

Some guy on the internet circa 2020
CAVEMAN
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Peter988 » 04 Jan 2021, 3:26 pm

Got my hand caught in a clay target machine out in the paddock. In to town for a couple stitches. Put a rabbits leg bone into my hand another day and needed an operation about 6 months later to remove bone splinters that got left in the wound.
Peter988
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 04 Jan 2021, 3:47 pm

Can't recall any injuries in the bush.
The main things I try to stay on top of are dehydration, heat stroke (hyperthermia), hypothermia, navigation, eye injury, sprained ankle. Even minor sprains or eye injuries can make getting out of the bush very difficult. Hypo- and hyperthermia can really mess with your mind and make you do really dumb things that greatly increase the risks.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 04 Jan 2021, 7:34 pm

Had a bad eye scratch from lantana. My rear left tyre on My quad came of and it forced my quad into a fence. My foot was jammed against the fence so bad I had to take my shoe of to escape. LuckY it was plain And not barbed wire Or the outside of my foot would be badly shredded because My quad moved forward a couple of metres as my foot was jammed in there .....and then there was the leech that tried to enter my body
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 04 Jan 2021, 8:25 pm

I reckon vehicle incidents would be the main cause of injury we have had over the years. Bike crashes etc.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 04 Jan 2021, 8:36 pm

Blr243 wrote:Had a bad eye scratch from lantana. My rear left tyre on My quad came of and it forced my quad into a fence. My foot was jammed against the fence so bad I had to take my shoe of to escape. LuckY it was plain And not barbed wire Or the outside of my foot would be badly shredded because My quad moved forward a couple of metres as my foot was jammed in there .....and then there was the leech that tried to enter my body

I got a hot speck off the grinder burned into my eye in the Kimberley, two-hours each way to the hospital in Kununurra to get it removed in about 60-seconds. No lasting damage but was bloody annoying at the time not being able to see anything :-)

When I was a kid I jumped a barbed-wire fence to cut off an escaping cow, and got my testicles wound up in the wire!
Mum cut the fence each side of me and ran me into the doctor, but there was no serious damage :-)

Leeches suck!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by PaddyT » 04 Jan 2021, 8:48 pm

Just the whole fact that whilst im in good nick for my age (52) im simply not as nimble as i once was and ive deliberately slowed myself down in steep uneven terrain and i no longer jump of rocks etc when im in the bush by myself-even a sprained ankle these days heals slower. The worst near miss i had was carrying a tuna back along a bush track on Tomaree Headland when i used to gamefish off the rocks- i wasnt wearing sunnies and my mate behind me said something and i turned as i walked (which wasnt easy witha 20kg tuna on one shoulder, a backpack and a rod on the other hand. ) I replied to my mate, stepped forward , turned my head to the front and a stick drove in just under my left eye and tore my lower eyelid and cheek-it missed my eye by a couple of millimeters- ever since then in thick scrub i wear sunnies or move very slowly. Interesting reading the stories above-most of us have a real fear of eye damage!
PaddyT
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Blr243 » 04 Jan 2021, 9:20 pm

I get peeved when my mini pack or clothing gets caught in barbed wire as I negotiate fences Testicles in barbed wire at high speed running from cattle sounds unpleasant
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by womble » 05 Jan 2021, 2:37 am

I’ve been lost for 4 days when i was young. The search party sent to find me got lost. I like to blame them for the time frame.
I drank from watering holes for cattle which made me very ill.

But i think that’s the biggest potential hazard and very easy to do in vic. Even if you’re just venturing out a short distance from your vehicle you should carry everything you may need, like lifestraw, because cow water tastes exactly like cow poo.
You can easilly fit the essentials into a bum bag or similar.
Just once your vehicle is out of sight it’s very easy to misread your orientation to it.

I think my biggest fear in high country vic is the deliverance scenario. I’ve come across some strange people up there. The type that seem closely related and raise pigs, play the banjo etc.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by JohnV » 05 Jan 2021, 6:46 am

I hunted for 40 years and no real accidents to me other than , I tripped over a piece of wire hidden in grass and hurt my ankle and knee . 90 % of my hunting was solo .
Could not walk , it was so painful so I camped in that spot for two days with it bandaged up with my snake kit bandages and eventually hobbled back to the truck . I agree with others that vehicle accidents and motorcycle accident are high on the list .
However I have seen that there is very basically two kinds of people , 1 / The prepared sensible person who does not take unreasonable risks and keeps a level head in the bush and 2 / The scatter brain who is not properly prepared , drives or rides like an idiot , drinks too much grog and temps fate . Chance favors the prepared mind .
One time a guy asked me to go shooting with him he seemed an ok guy . We would use his 4x4 and pull his buggy . Anyway during the time I spent at his place I noticed he drank a lot of beer and was a bit tipsy both days .
This worried me and eventually I made an excuse and I drove my own vehicle and he drove his . After a weeks shooting we were shifting to another property I noticed every morning he had the shakes and seemed a bit hung over . Well he rolled his vehicle 5 times across the Newell Highway . Total right off of the vehicle the trailer and the buggy and lost his dogs . I got them back but that's another story . Where I would have been sitting in the passenger seat was crushed to the seat ! Chance does favor the prepared mind . He was extremely lucky to survive and also have me there being only seconds behind him to get him out of the vehicle stem his bleeding and keep him warm or he would be dead .
This is what was left of his dog cage but both dogs were ok .
Last edited by JohnV on 06 Jan 2021, 1:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by JohnV » 05 Jan 2021, 5:23 pm

Blr243 wrote:I get peeved when my mini pack or clothing gets caught in barbed wire as I negotiate fences Testicles in barbed wire at high speed running from cattle sounds unpleasant

I was taught a way to walk through cattle without spooking them. What you do is cut leafy branch of a shrub or tree or a few together in a bunch and give them a good shake to eject any insects then hold the leaves up covering your face but still be able to see your way through the leaves then just walk slowly through the mob . That is an Aboriginal trick and it's worked for me a few times . I used it once to stalk pigs that were in the middle of a mob of cattle .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Blr243 » 05 Jan 2021, 7:41 pm

Most of my hunting cape York was on the West Coast. Then I tried the east coast I’m normally extremely cautious about avoiding crocs. I was in swamps Every day for years bowhunting pigs as they dug up clams on the west coast But on the east coast I just used my west coast experience to decide where was safe. Without knowing it I got in two or Three swamps that we’re not ok. I returned to the east coast a year later and With more information I then Realised my mistakes the previous year ....it could have been a very brutal end for me. I have to admit some of my potential harm over the years was bought on by myself not taking enough care
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 05 Jan 2021, 7:49 pm

Most cattle have given me grief stalking game .....but there is one mob in one paddock that just know me really well ....I usually wander in there about 11 pm and they always wander up to say hi. But they never spook and are always really chilled ...several times they are walking up behind me smelling me only 6 or 8 feet away , I lay down on the ground and shoot , and not once have they ever flinched at the sound , Then they wander over to see what I have shot , then they wander back to me and soonish they loose interest. If only all cattle were like this
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by JohnV » 05 Jan 2021, 8:26 pm

Blr243 wrote:Most of my hunting cape York was on the West Coast. Then I tried the east coast I’m normally extremely cautious about avoiding crocs. I was in swamps Every day for years bowhunting pigs as they dug up clams on the west coast But on the east coast I just used my west coast experience to decide where was safe. Without knowing it I got in two or Three swamps that we’re not ok. I returned to the east coast a year later and With more information I then Realised my mistakes the previous year ....it could have been a very brutal end for me. I have to admit some of my potential harm over the years was bought on by myself not taking enough care

It gives me the creeps when you see tourists camping in croc country and laying on the ground in swags and such . Crocs can walk for miles over land .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by JohnV » 05 Jan 2021, 8:36 pm

Blr243 wrote:Most cattle have given me grief stalking game .....but there is one mob in one paddock that just know me really well ....I usually wander in there about 11 pm and they always wander up to say hi. But they never spook and are always really chilled ...several times they are walking up behind me smelling me only 6 or 8 feet away , I lay down on the ground and shoot , and not once have they ever flinched at the sound , Then they wander over to see what I have shot , then they wander back to me and soonish they loose interest. If only all cattle were like this

Some breeds are quieter than others and cattle that get a lot of hand feeding and attention are calmer .
Australian shorthorns , Black angus bulls can be mongrels but Herefords are more calm animals . Santa Gertrudes are ok also . Once a cow is half wild in the bush not having much contact with people or troubled by predators they get easier to spook .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Blr243 » 05 Jan 2021, 8:48 pm

First time I camped in th Kimberly west oz by a croc river I was driving a four wheel drive F100 Ute so me and the dog camped in the back of it. I’ll never forget how safe I felt as soon as it got dark ...Would hav to have been a very ambitious and athletic Contortionist croc to get us .......I have heard of people camped on the beach. They must really love the sunsets and fishing .....maybe booze helps them relax and sleep
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Larry » 05 Jan 2021, 10:15 pm

Cows even relatively tame ones can be very dangerous. I have a herd of cattle and for the most part I am safe walking around them and through them. But I have had visitors come and even when walking with me the cows have charged them and chased them to the fence line or up a tree. They can be very teritoral and protective especially if they have new calves. I would go in the paddock near them with a new born without the tractor very close by for cover if they have just calved. I have been throw by one before and it nearly killed me. dont under estimate them. That goes doubly for Bulls.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by JohnV » 06 Jan 2021, 7:29 am

Larry wrote:Cows even relatively tame ones can be very dangerous. I have a herd of cattle and for the most part I am safe walking around them and through them. But I have had visitors come and even when walking with me the cows have charged them and chased them to the fence line or up a tree. They can be very teritoral and protective especially if they have new calves. I would go in the paddock near them with a new born without the tractor very close by for cover if they have just calved. I have been throw by one before and it nearly killed me. dont under estimate them. That goes doubly for Bulls.

I have seen that myself with Australian short horns , they can turn on strangers for no apparent reason . When I first started work on a cattle station the cattle gave us trouble walking too the river because we were new but I was one step ahead of them and always took my dogs with us . Horses , cows , pigs they can all be dangerous in their own way if you underestimate them or get complacent even sheep can bowl you over in the yards and break a rib . Especially when inoculating lambs .
Cows calving and having the tractor nearby brings back memories of my childhood on a dairy farm but that's a long story .
Last edited by JohnV on 06 Jan 2021, 7:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by JohnV » 06 Jan 2021, 7:36 am

Blr243 wrote:First time I camped in th Kimberly west oz by a croc river I was driving a four wheel drive F100 Ute so me and the dog camped in the back of it. I’ll never forget how safe I felt as soon as it got dark ...Would hav to have been a very ambitious and athletic Contortionist croc to get us .......I have heard of people camped on the beach. They must really love the sunsets and fishing .....maybe booze helps them relax and sleep
That was a good idea . I remember the F100 Fords my brother owned two of them for work , a mighty vehicle . Was yours an inline six or V8 . The V8 could really move along .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Blr243 » 06 Jan 2021, 8:21 am

Th f100 was a v8 It belonged to my father but he did not Need it because he had a company vehicle. I had to put a locking petrol cap on it because locals were stealing my petrol at night. But that did not solve the problem.....I then realised the only petrol thief was mr 351 under the bonnet....but it was great to drive
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by JohnV » 06 Jan 2021, 8:42 am

Blr243 wrote:Th f100 was a v8 It belonged to my father but he did not Need it because he had a company vehicle. I had to put a locking petrol cap on it because locals were stealing my petrol at night. But that did not solve the problem.....I then realised the only petrol thief was mr 351 under the bonnet....but it was great to drive

Yeah the V8 four speed was a beast , I got to drive it quite a bit and loved it although my Brothers business was paying the fuel bill . I always wanted one in 4x4 but by the time I could afford a 4x4 it was out of date and ended up with a Landcruiser instead . Now I drive a Nissan x-trail , great vehicle and real economical but no real panache a soft roader .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by bladeracer » 06 Jan 2021, 9:51 am

One of our big girls crushed me against the race, deadened my left arm so I couldn't use it at all, and fractured four ribs. I thought the arm was broken for sure but it came good as the nerves woke up. I've broken enough wrists, arms, collar bones and shoulders to be very familiar with having limbs that suddenly don't work as they should :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 06 Jan 2021, 9:57 am

Blr243 wrote:Most cattle have given me grief stalking game .....but there is one mob in one paddock that just know me really well ....I usually wander in there about 11 pm and they always wander up to say hi. But they never spook and are always really chilled ...several times they are walking up behind me smelling me only 6 or 8 feet away , I lay down on the ground and shoot , and not once have they ever flinched at the sound , Then they wander over to see what I have shot , then they wander back to me and soonish they loose interest. If only all cattle were like this

Our cows are like this, but only with people they recognize.
Next door's cattle will come close to watch me shooting, but if I move toward them they won't let me go closer than about 50m, has to be on their terms :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 06 Jan 2021, 10:23 am

JohnV wrote:It gives me the creeps when you see tourists camping in croc country and laying on the ground in swags and such . Crocs can walk for miles over land .

I went to Darwin for a "one in eight" pistol shoot in '92 (back then we had to attend every eight weeks minimum to hold a pistol licence), caught the bus on the highway and arrived late that night. I walked across a big park, jumped the fence, and lay down for a sleep, out of sight of any locals. Didn't get much sleep due to the continual noises of the wildlife in the bushes. Woke up after dawn, climbed the fence and wandered back into town to find some grub. I mentioned to a deli worker that I hadn't slept well in the park due to their wildlife and he said that would've been the big salties, that's why they have to fence around the park! I clarified exactly where I slept and the look on his face was priceless :-)

Caught a taxi out to the range as I didn't have anything to do in town, and hoped to have a better sleep there before the other members showed up for the afternoon shoot. Turned out the Army were training for the Brunei Skill at Arms Comp, Hi-Powers, F88's, bren guns, and a mountain of ammunition! A LtCol showed up for an inspection and invited me to join him as he drove around the ranges, turned out to be a pretty amazing morning :-)

I think the Colonel just wanted to keep an eye on me, but his PR was terrific, and I wish I'd gotten his name.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 06 Jan 2021, 10:35 am

Blr243 wrote:First time I camped in th Kimberly west oz by a croc river I was driving a four wheel drive F100 Ute so me and the dog camped in the back of it. I’ll never forget how safe I felt as soon as it got dark ...Would hav to have been a very ambitious and athletic Contortionist croc to get us .......I have heard of people camped on the beach. They must really love the sunsets and fishing .....maybe booze helps them relax and sleep

Did you get into the Ord behind Argyle Diamond Mine? That is an amazing area but I think it's only the locals allowed in because of the mine. I'd go out there with a troop carrier loaded with local women from Warmun to get catfish and other bush tucker for the old people's home (they loved their bush tucker!). Argyle sent a copper out to check on us once when we were camped along the river. He knew the locals, and why we were there, and didn't seem bothered that they'd have a whitefella driving. Never checked on us again.

That's where I learned how capable the Landcruiser is when you're way off-road, I had a Hilux which was pitiful in comparison.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JohnV » 06 Jan 2021, 12:10 pm

bladeracer wrote:One of our big girls crushed me against the race, deadened my left arm so I couldn't use it at all, and fractured four ribs. I thought the arm was broken for sure but it came good as the nerves woke up. I've broken enough wrists, arms, collar bones and shoulders to be very familiar with having limbs that suddenly don't work as they should :-)

I had an old friend who was a farmer at Coonamble NSW and he had scares all over him . He's dead now but lived till 91 .
He could outwork me and his son at around 65 . The grandchildren are now running the property and it's all changed and not for the better .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by JohnV » 06 Jan 2021, 12:22 pm

bladeracer wrote:

Did you get into the Ord behind Argyle Diamond Mine? That is an amazing area but I think it's only the locals allowed in because of the mine. I'd go out there with a troop carrier loaded with local women from Warmun to get catfish and other bush tucker for the old people's home (they loved their bush tucker!). Argyle sent a copper out to check on us once when we were camped along the river. He knew the locals, and why we were there, and didn't seem bothered that they'd have a whitefella driving. Never checked on us again.

That's where I learned how capable the Landcruiser is when you're way off-road, I had a Hilux which was pitiful in comparison.

The old short wheelbase Landcruiser was very agile in the bush but yeah most Lancruisers are solid 4x4x's .
I am very surprised how capable my Nissan x-trail is with the limited slip diffs and electronic braking traction control .
You can't go off road in any rough stuff but on sand , muddy roads and tracks , it goes great . Did you spot any diamonds ?
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by JohnV » 06 Jan 2021, 12:34 pm

bladeracer wrote:
JohnV wrote:It gives me the creeps when you see tourists camping in croc country and laying on the ground in swags and such . Crocs can walk for miles over land .

I went to Darwin for a "one in eight" pistol shoot in '92 (back then we had to attend every eight weeks minimum to hold a pistol licence), caught the bus on the highway and arrived late that night. I walked across a big park, jumped the fence, and lay down for a sleep, out of sight of any locals. Didn't get much sleep due to the continual noises of the wildlife in the bushes. Woke up after dawn, climbed the fence and wandered back into town to find some grub. I mentioned to a deli worker that I hadn't slept well in the park due to their wildlife and he said that would've been the big salties, that's why they have to fence around the park! I clarified exactly where I slept and the look on his face was priceless :-)

Caught a taxi out to the range as I didn't have anything to do in town, and hoped to have a better sleep there before the other members showed up for the afternoon shoot. Turned out the Army were training for the Brunei Skill at Arms Comp, Hi-Powers, F88's, bren guns, and a mountain of ammunition! A LtCol showed up for an inspection and invited me to join him as he drove around the ranges, turned out to be a pretty amazing morning :-)

I think the Colonel just wanted to keep an eye on me, but his PR was terrific, and I wish I'd gotten his name.

Sounds a bit like my RR in the Army during Vietnam . I woke up in a few unusual places . Especially in Butterworth air base near Penang Malaysia .. I woke up in a monsoon drain . No idea how I got there but I think the Royal Marines I was with dumped me there for a joke .
I could tell you the rest but people don't believe it .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Blr243 » 06 Jan 2021, 1:30 pm

Blade I did not get to the ord spot. Fished at kunnanurra hooked my first Barra. Most of my bush stuff in west oz was amazeing fishing in Broome. A bit of fresh water fishing inland. And donkey shooting on a few stations. Glad I spent time in the Kimberly’s.....I still have dreams about watching fresh water Barra swimming in water so clear u can see fish clearly way down in the gorge country where no wind so the surface is ripple free like glass .......spent some time in army land cruisers in the Kimberly’s. Tough reliable go anywhere machines
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Next

Return to Camping, fishing and outdoor recreation