Victorian Snakes - Fang Sizes

Camping, fishing and outdoor recreational activities. Tips, equipment, accessories, hiking and outdoor cooking.

Re: Victorian Snakes - Fang Sizes

Post by bigpete » 15 Jan 2021, 7:21 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Honestly, what are people worried about? About two deaths a year. Yes, I know, a lot get pretty dam sick. But two a year!

I'm never crossing the road again. Lol

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-n ... iger-snake

No idea mate.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Peter988 » 15 Jan 2021, 9:19 pm

Bit like smokers who worry about shark attack. I think there might be a few here with ophidiophobia.
Peter988
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 15 Jan 2021, 10:11 pm

Peter988 wrote:Bit like smokers who worry about shark attack. I think there might be a few here with ophidiophobia.

One things for sure. You just won the spelling bee. :clap: :clap:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by cz515 » 17 Jan 2021, 6:41 am

Oldbloke wrote:Honestly, what are people worried about? About two deaths a year. Yes, I know, a lot get pretty dam sick. But two a year!

Well cronavirus killed a few more than that... even if some people don't believe it
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 17 Jan 2021, 6:59 am

https://www.theage.com.au/national/vict ... zmjsa.html

Road toll about 1200 a year
Drownings last year 248

The concern with covid is it could easily have been a fair few thousand. But Au got lucky and dodged the bullet.....so far....
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by cz515 » 17 Jan 2021, 8:19 am

I wonder how many of the 248 were in polls in Victoria last year. Seeing the rules around yearly inspections that have come on.
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by PaddyT » 17 Jan 2021, 9:18 pm

I run aquatic facilities-also owned my own swim school for 15 years and have one inside my current workplace-pools arent that dangerous 21% in rivers and creeks, 20% in ocean harbours and bays and 18% at the beach and about 12% in pools , 6% each rockfishing and diving , 2% rescuing someone else and just for everyones clarification about 80% of all drownings year in year out are males-cause we are dumb.(i also reckon most females that drown are probably caught up in some stupid activity by their male others but i have no proof). Also of those 284 last year 10 were in bathtubs which is where most under 1 year olds drown.
PaddyT
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 17 Jan 2021, 9:30 pm

PaddyT wrote:I run aquatic facilities-also owned my own swim school for 15 years and have one inside my current workplace-pools arent that dangerous 21% in rivers and creeks, 20% in ocean harbours and bays and 18% at the beach and about 12% in pools , 6% each rockfishing and diving , 2% rescuing someone else and just for everyones clarification about 80% of all drownings year in year out are males-cause we are dumb.(i also reckon most females that drown are probably caught up in some stupid activity by their male others but i have no proof). Also of those 284 last year 10 were in bathtubs which is where most under 1 year olds drown.

How many involved alcohol or drugs?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by LawrenceA » 17 Jan 2021, 9:33 pm

Worth remembering.
The bite of the Brown Snake does not hurt as such. Not like an ant bite.
Therefore many people, although envenomed, don't think they have anything to worry about.
Then the venom kicks in.
Also the venom travels through the lymphatic system, not through the blood.
One well placed shot is all it takes.
LawrenceA
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by PaddyT » 17 Jan 2021, 9:41 pm

bladeracer wrote:
PaddyT wrote:I run aquatic facilities-also owned my own swim school for 15 years and have one inside my current workplace-pools arent that dangerous 21% in rivers and creeks, 20% in ocean harbours and bays and 18% at the beach and about 12% in pools , 6% each rockfishing and diving , 2% rescuing someone else and just for everyones clarification about 80% of all drownings year in year out are males-cause we are dumb.(i also reckon most females that drown are probably caught up in some stupid activity by their male others but i have no proof). Also of those 284 last year 10 were in bathtubs which is where most under 1 year olds drown.

How many involved alcohol or drugs?

A crap load-the best source is Royal Life Saving Society-they put out an annual report and its interesting reading ,in 19/20 , 50 drownings involved pre existing medical conditions, 27 booze and 26 drugs-legal or otherwise, dont forget the legal definition of a drowning at the coroners is water in the lungs so someone having a heart attack and inhaling some water as they die will still be a drowning.
PaddyT
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by LawrenceA » 17 Jan 2021, 9:52 pm

Using a bed and the toilet are more dangerous!
I think there are about 2,500 deaths a year from falling out of bed and people on the toilet.
One well placed shot is all it takes.
LawrenceA
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 17 Jan 2021, 10:15 pm

Yeh, I knew about the toilet. Constipation I guess. Lol

But the bed is a new one to me. Must be some of the strange indian positions some couples try. Lol

You can get a spread sheet from ABS free.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by cz515 » 17 Jan 2021, 10:31 pm

^^^^ when did ABS start handing out kama sutra sex positions handouts, i thought it was the sex party

Lol
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 18 Jan 2021, 8:16 am

Lol.

At the bottom of the page there is one for AU that u can download

https://www.abs.gov.au/statistics/healt ... st-release

There is heaps of info if you search for it.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Peter988 » 18 Jan 2021, 8:56 am

I just hope all this banter has made The Plinkster realise that snakes aren’t worth spending any worry on. Stay aware and on the very rare occasion you see one simply walk around it.
Peter988
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Bugman » 18 Jan 2021, 1:45 pm

Came across a tiger snake at Barnbougle golf course, some time back. Ball landed in the really long grass, used a 6 iron to get it out, didn't see the snake adjacent to it
camouflaged adjacent to it. Got the ball out and snake onto the fairway. Never again :wtf:
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Grandadbushy » 18 Jan 2021, 7:23 pm

Not that it matters but not all venom travels through the Lymphatic system, snakes that have a deep bite like the adders and taipan injects venom deep into the muscle this causes blood clotting or thins the blood once it enters the blood stream ie like the taipan, on saying that the lymphatic system is the major player with venom movement through the limb to the blood stream, its close to nerves, veins, muscle and glands this makes it volatile , so the lymphatic system is not the only way venom moves through the body but the most common :thumbsup:
Grandadbushy
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 18 Jan 2021, 9:13 pm

I just googled constrictor snake deaths. With very limited reasearch effort I found out that in the US somebody dies from snake constriction every 2-3 years. So I Now conclude that if u keep a boa constrictor as a pet, you should always carry a pocket knife, And you should keep a close eye on where your dog is too
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by markg » 19 Jan 2021, 10:14 am

Some snake horror stories here. I encounter Browns, Copperheads , Tigers etc regularly on my mums property 40ks out of Cooma, often on a daily basis this time of year. I have had Browns do absolutely nothing but tear off into the scrub, others have reared up momentarily then taken off. I find the biggest risk with Tigers is that they will stay coiled up and don't move, particularly in the morning so the biggest risk is standing on them. I don't give a toss about Copperheads, the amount of juvenile browns we have found in them gives them a pass around the place. Got a few sets of fangs from all of them, they are minuscule in most cases. We see a heap of all of them when flyfishing on the rivers on the Monaro area. I have found them to be just like people, some good and some not so good. Leave them be, they certainly deserve our respect as they are potentially very dangerous. Good foot wear and gaitors when your out doing your thing and I don't see you having any dramas. A little side note here also, I have come across browns on a couple of occasions at night time when it's been a very warm day and the night time is still pretty balmy, one was laying on the patio outside the back door. My advice to anyone who gets too close to any of them is to remain still, then more often than not they settle and go on their way.
markg
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 19 Jan 2021, 2:29 pm

My suggestion to would be hunters is don't eat. LOL And stay away from bees.

Snakes and wasps.JPG
Snakes and wasps.JPG (77.91 KiB) Viewed 6058 times

Dont eat.JPG
Dont eat.JPG (72.7 KiB) Viewed 6058 times
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by womble » 19 Jan 2021, 4:38 pm

Helpful.
More likely to be eaten by a lion, than stung by a scorpion in 2019.
Therefore scorpions are harmless.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Grandadbushy » 19 Jan 2021, 5:34 pm

Many years ago my cousin was picking up firewood for our camp fire and he was bitten by a scorpion and he said that he thought the firewood he was carrying was already on fire with the bite being so painful and the feeling sensation
Grandadbushy
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by JohnV » 21 Jan 2021, 7:05 am

bigpete wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:
JohnV wrote:That PDF is wrong on snake bite you bandage downwards keeping as much venom below the heart as possible not upwards .

John
I believe they are correct. The venom moves through the lymphatic system, not the blood stream. This government sight says the same as St Johns.

https://www.health.qld.gov.au/news-even ... by-a-snake

Exactly. Got nothing to do with your blood foow

That is not how I was taught by a Government institution and I have used it one time to save a person . Pressure on the limb is pressure and that is what slows it down . Bandage up from below and you just help the venom travel no matter how it travels .
I will stick to the way I know works .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Oldbloke » 21 Jan 2021, 7:44 am

Johnv, the recommended first aid treatment was changed a some years ago. This is why its recommended that you refresh your First Aid every 2 or 3 years. As medical knowledge changes over time recommendations change. What I posted is correct. This is out of my First Aid book.

Pg 124.jpeg
Pg 124.jpeg (213.58 KiB) Viewed 6022 times

Pg 125.jpeg
Pg 125.jpeg (231.97 KiB) Viewed 6022 times

Just because a method worked once does not mean it it statistically the best method.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by womble » 21 Jan 2021, 8:29 am

People keep going missing in Vic high country.
Very experienced bush walkers and hunters.
4 in the last year within a 60 km radius.
No trace of them. Just vanished into thin air.
Statistically that's probably the highest risk for deer hunters.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 21 Jan 2021, 9:31 am

womble wrote:People keep going missing in Vic high country.
Very experienced bush walkers and hunters.
4 in the last year within a 60 km radius.
No trace of them. Just vanished into thin air.
Statistically that's probably the highest risk for deer hunters.

Where abouts?
Member-Deleted

Post by womble » 21 Jan 2021, 11:46 am

Wonnangatta valley

How many died of snake in that 60 K radius last year
Zero, zilch, Nada.
Therefore statistically you are 400% times more likely to vanish without a trace . Than get bitten by snake.

Not discounting the risk of lion attack and or scorpions
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Peter988 » 21 Jan 2021, 1:01 pm

Maybe they were eaten by snakes.
Peter988
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by womble » 21 Jan 2021, 5:06 pm

Oh now i feel really safe
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by JohnV » 22 Jan 2021, 12:52 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Johnv, the recommended first aid treatment was changed a some years ago. This is why its recommended that you refresh your First Aid every 2 or 3 years. As medical knowledge changes over time recommendations change. What I posted is correct. This is out of my First Aid book.

Pg 124.jpeg

Pg 125.jpeg

Just because a method worked once does not mean it it statistically the best method.
I don't care what it says it's not the way I would do it and have done it or will do it .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

PreviousNext

Return to Camping, fishing and outdoor recreation