Victorian Snakes - Fang Sizes

Camping, fishing and outdoor recreational activities. Tips, equipment, accessories, hiking and outdoor cooking.

Re: Victorian Snakes - Fang Sizes

Post by Blr243 » 22 Jan 2021, 9:48 pm

I was speaking to a chick the other day she sat on a taipan and it bit her backside ...some of her flesh rotted away and had to be removed. Unlikely Incident but nasty consequences If it happens
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 22 Jan 2021, 11:12 pm

Blr243 wrote:I was speaking to a chick the other day she sat on a taipan and it bit her backside ...some of her flesh rotted away and had to be removed. Unlikely Incident but nasty consequences If it happens

Had a quick google search to see what that looks like. Oof, I do not recommend.
Member-Deleted

Post by Ziege » 23 Jan 2021, 12:28 am

sounds like necrotizing fasciitis caused by an invasive streptococcus!
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by Grandadbushy » 23 Jan 2021, 11:04 am

My cousin was bitten on the big toe by an unidentified snake all he said was it was blackish and big but anyway he lost all the skin on the toe including the nail , the toe was just one big oozing stump and completely black it was a wonder he never lost it, years later he still has no feeling in it , i'm thinking it was a dry bite as this can happen with a dry bite , most people think because it's a dry bite there is no problem but this is not the case, some times it's like my cousin sometimes it's red and sore for days then there is nothing but two or even one little red dot, it all depends on when and how the snake has used it's mouth, if there is no venom injected then there's the bacteria within the mouth which can cause things such as my cousin's toe and you could even become slightly sick for awhile
Grandadbushy
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by JohnV » 24 Jan 2021, 8:04 am

Grandadbushy wrote:My cousin was bitten on the big toe by an unidentified snake all he said was it was blackish and big but anyway he lost all the skin on the toe including the nail , the toe was just one big oozing stump and completely black it was a wonder he never lost it, years later he still has no feeling in it , i'm thinking it was a dry bite as this can happen with a dry bite , most people think because it's a dry bite there is no problem but this is not the case, some times it's like my cousin sometimes it's red and sore for days then there is nothing but two or even one little red dot, it all depends on when and how the snake has used it's mouth, if there is no venom injected then there's the bacteria within the mouth which can cause things such as my cousin's toe and you could even become slightly sick for awhile

I read about that years ago some place and it's very true , same thing for goanna bites and other carrion eating animals , crocs also and the Komodo dragon kills with just bacteria alone . I carried two courses of penicillin for my dogs and me in injection form and sometimes pills when I could net get injections . I got a scratch once from a barbed wire fence and it started to go all red and angry looking so I injected myself every day for a week [intramuscular ] and it settled down . One of my dogs got attacked by a goanna that was caught in a dog trap and in the fight to kill with a knife it tore a hunk out of my dogs neck skin . It would not let go so I had no choice . I was lucky I never got scratched or bitten but god only knows how . I started the dog on antibiotics that day as soon as I got back to camp and it healed up ok . I also carried plenty of Betadine antiseptic in my day pack or in my belt pouch and I treated every little scratch immediately and I was always treating other people who never bring the right gear .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Previous

Return to Camping, fishing and outdoor recreation