Decent Budget GPS advice

Camping, fishing and outdoor recreational activities. Tips, equipment, accessories, hiking and outdoor cooking.

Decent Budget GPS advice

Post by Hectic » 24 Feb 2021, 8:04 am

Hi gang

Im looking for a GPS for some 1 -2 day solo hunting, mainly so I don't get lost as I use my own printed topo maps and a compass at the moment.

Is it worth forking out the bigger dollars or is there a cheapo GPS that's reliable ?

Thanks in advance!
Hectic
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Decent Budget GPS advice

Post by on_one_wheel » 27 Feb 2021, 6:34 pm

I'm really happy with my Bushnell backtrack. Hunt track Its small, cheap, simple and easy to use.

I can jump out of the car, mark my position in seconds, turn the device off after checking my new waypoint, mindlessly wander off for hours (not that I would wander mindlessly) and find my way back by following an arrow.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 27 Feb 2021, 7:02 pm

Hectic wrote:Hi gang

Im looking for a GPS for some 1 -2 day solo hunting, mainly so I don't get lost as I use my own printed topo maps and a compass at the moment.

Is it worth forking out the bigger dollars or is there a cheapo GPS that's reliable ?

Thanks in advance!

Have you tried Avenza Maps on a smartphone, can't get much cheaper and it works pretty good for me.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 27 Feb 2021, 7:19 pm

Great suggestion Blade ... I've been meaning to check out off-line gps apps.

I've just downloaded the one you've suggested, I'll have a play with it shortly :thumbsup:
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 27 Feb 2021, 7:27 pm

Anaconda were advertising some cheap ones a few days ago
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 27 Feb 2021, 10:19 pm

I bought a bushnell back track years ago when I was dogging pigs but never really experimented with it properly and have just used Garmin e trx since then ....on one wheels comment about his unit has prompted me to dig it up and have a bit of a practice
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 27 Feb 2021, 10:28 pm

Blr243 wrote:I bought a bushnell back track years ago when I was dogging pigs but never really experimented with it properly and have just used Garmin e trx since then ....on one wheels comment about his unit has prompted me to dig it up and have a bit of a practice

Great for making your buried treasure, mine was flat for atleast12 months and it still remembers where it is :thumbsup:
20210227_225539.jpg
20210227_225539.jpg (57.54 KiB) Viewed 2897 times
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by CAVEMAN » 28 Feb 2021, 4:56 am

Loaded question what do you call budget?

Im a big fan of Garmin, used the wrist mounted 401 Foretrex allot and its simple but good. $300ish allows you to plot points but also just work as a passive reference system.

I have recently picked up a Garmin eTrex 32x for $400. Lots of options, has colour topo maps pre loaded onto it. Has a digital compass and few ither things. AA batteries so easy to feed.

I put a GPS in safety gear teritory, i could pay allot more. But i also dont skimp out. I think its good to have a ruged standalone system especially one that doesnt use a phone.
"Well if it ain't an 8 inch, i'm not paying"

Some guy on the internet circa 2020
CAVEMAN
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 28 Feb 2021, 6:30 pm

Gps , uhf and camera in one unit might be handy
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by RoginaJack » 01 Mar 2021, 4:53 pm

Mate, todays your lucky day~ I've got a Magellan Explorer 510, with box and pouch, loaded with standard maps and topo (?) maps you can have for %60 including postage Aust. wide.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Return to Camping, fishing and outdoor recreation