Snow in Gippsland?

Camping, fishing and outdoor recreational activities. Tips, equipment, accessories, hiking and outdoor cooking.

Snow in Gippsland?

Post by bladeracer » 28 Jun 2022, 8:28 pm

My daughter is down from Brisbane for a few days and would like to experience snow, without having to pay for it.
Is there any snow around Gippsland currently that's not too difficult to drive up to?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Re: Snow in Gippsland?

Post by deye243 » 28 Jun 2022, 10:44 pm

Plenty of snow on Mt Baw Baw 8 today according to the online camera
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by mchughcb » 28 Jun 2022, 11:35 pm

Drive up to Lake mountain
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 28 Jun 2022, 11:55 pm

mchughcb wrote:Drive up to Lake mountain

Google says it's a mountain resort - any fees to get in for a look?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 28 Jun 2022, 11:56 pm

deye243 wrote:Plenty of snow on Mt Baw Baw 8 today according to the online camera

I did tell her about Baw Baw, and was also recommended Saint Gwinar.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by womble » 29 Jun 2022, 3:54 am

I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by cz515 » 29 Jun 2022, 8:11 am

It's not a huge amount to enter the resorts. Less then the fuel price. You can also go by bus, and if only a couple of people might work out cheaper then vehicle entry fee

Also remember once you go about the snow line you are required to carry snow chains, and when directed fit them

I know a few people who will park just below the vehicle entry gates and walk up... can be a 30-40min walk on some areas
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by wanneroo » 29 Jun 2022, 11:34 am

I think I've been to every ski resort/ski town in NSW and Victoria and it's like any other town, you can get out and walk around, eat at restaurants, shop, rent snow chains, go tobogganing, etc. You may have to pay for some parking in season but so it goes. Thredbo to me is probably the most complete ski town in Australia IMO, but open to change my mind.

The Great Alpine Road is also an option perhaps.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by bladeracer » 29 Jun 2022, 1:21 pm

bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 29 Jun 2022, 1:30 pm

cz515 wrote:It's not a huge amount to enter the resorts. Less then the fuel price. You can also go by bus, and if only a couple of people might work out cheaper then vehicle entry fee

Also remember once you go about the snow line you are required to carry snow chains, and when directed fit them

I know a few people who will park just below the vehicle entry gates and walk up... can be a 30-40min walk on some areas

I wouldn't know as I have no interest in going to somewhere it's snowing :-)
Good point about snow chains.

The walking sounds good but not sure she's up for that :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 29 Jun 2022, 1:36 pm

wanneroo wrote:I think I've been to every ski resort/ski town in NSW and Victoria and it's like any other town, you can get out and walk around, eat at restaurants, shop, rent snow chains, go tobogganing, etc. You may have to pay for some parking in season but so it goes. Thredbo to me is probably the most complete ski town in Australia IMO, but open to change my mind.

The Great Alpine Road is also an option perhaps.

Good to know. We have had snow on the hills just 5km south of us, neat to look at but I had no urge to drive up there for a closer look :-)

I haven't done the Great Alpine myself yet but we want to take that route one day on route to Albury. - mid summer though I think.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by wanneroo » 01 Jul 2022, 2:31 am

bladeracer wrote:
Good to know. We have had snow on the hills just 5km south of us, neat to look at but I had no urge to drive up there for a closer look :-)

I haven't done the Great Alpine myself yet but we want to take that route one day on route to Albury. - mid summer though I think.

You should do the snow once in your life and see, you might like it.

The Great Alpine Road is worth doing, very nice mountain road. Will be driving it again next time there.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by bladeracer » 01 Jul 2022, 3:08 am

wanneroo wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

You should do the snow once in your life and see, you might like it.

The Great Alpine Road is worth doing, very nice mountain road. Will be driving it again next time there.

I'm sure I'll wind up seeing it some time, just not rushing into it, plenty of other things to see first :-)
They went to Lake Mountain this morning then up Baw Baw for lunch. First time seeing snow and they enjoyed it.

Then they came down here and spent a few hours with us before going back to Melbourne. A very big day for them.
They're flying home Saturday, this was a recon checking out rental properties and work options as they're hoping to move down here before the end of the year.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by wanneroo » 01 Jul 2022, 12:04 pm

bladeracer wrote:
I'm sure I'll wind up seeing it some time, just not rushing into it, plenty of other things to see first :-)
They went to Lake Mountain this morning then up Baw Baw for lunch. First time seeing snow and they enjoyed it.

Then they came down here and spent a few hours with us before going back to Melbourne. A very big day for them.
They're flying home Saturday, this was a recon checking out rental properties and work options as they're hoping to move down here before the end of the year.

Good, glad they enjoyed Baw Baw, snow is a lot of fun, I don't think I could live anywhere without some snow or access to it in the winter.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Return to Camping, fishing and outdoor recreation