Chainsaw for camping

Camping, fishing and outdoor recreational activities. Tips, equipment, accessories, hiking and outdoor cooking.

Re: Chainsaw for camping

Post by Chronos » 06 May 2014, 9:35 pm

Aster wrote:Warrigul, Chronos.

Edited a bit there to avoid bringing up some old junk, I suspect you remember what?

Any doubt PM me.

No worries, sad it's come to that :cry:

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Warrigul » 07 May 2014, 11:34 am

Aster wrote:Warrigul, Chronos.

Edited a bit there to avoid bringing up some old junk, I suspect you remember what?

Any doubt PM me.

I have just re - edited my post to skirt around the offending name.

Yes it is a shame as I have only ever had good experiences with the "old junk" and still go there.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Warrigul » 07 May 2014, 11:39 am

on_one_wheel wrote:I traveled across the middle in a Kingswood when I was young dumb and full of rum, kept a hatchet in my kit for over a year before I went to use it for the first time, had just cashed my pay check at the Kalkarindji road house and headed out for a cuppa, found the only little piece of dead wood for miles around and climbed this spindley little tree with my hatchet in hand to get wood for the billy... first swing it snapped the head from the handle.....Moral of the story is, if you buy a hatchet ffs get one with a metal handle or go without a cuppa and weld one on when you get to the next station.

That was originally a beech handled Sandvik, a very expensive little item back when it came out(pre the days of mass produced Chinese craaaap). Mine was left in the garden for a couple of months (thanks kids) and the handle easily broke. I saved the end of an axe I rehandled and grafted it on to the hatchet.

Has been good for years now.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Aster » 07 May 2014, 11:39 am

Thanks guys.
See you on the firing line.
Aster

-

Post by Chronos » 07 May 2014, 12:07 pm

I hear good things about the huskys but also the makita from bunnings. A few fencing guys around running them no worries.

Warrigul I agree the small stihl saws are not mush chop, the ms311 would be the smallest one I'd buy If I was buying new

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Lorgar » 07 May 2014, 3:10 pm

A regular camping buddy of mine has one of the baby Husquarvana's.

Pretty small and light as far as chainsaws go and has enough grunt to take on anything you'd reasonably want for firewood.

It handles any trunks/branches up to about 30cm well. Any thicker than that you start to get stalls and sticking blades.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by tucked » 07 May 2014, 3:12 pm

Chronos wrote:A few fencing guys around running them no worries.

What, chainsawing peoples fences so they get repair work? :lol: :D
tucked
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 11 May 2014, 3:12 pm

tucked wrote:What, chainsawing peoples fences so they get repair work? :lol: :D

Ha ha, might be the case

I've seen these colourbond crews turn up to a job where there's a timber paling fence, back the trailer up to the fence and get the chainsaw out. The paling fence is gone in five minutes.

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by headspace » 11 May 2014, 6:29 pm

If I'm out for a week or a few days I'll take my Husky, but for really longer trips, particularly into the Outback I don't bother.

A decent sharp axe is handly but not for cutting firewood. Make sure you carry a pair of decent leather gloves for firewood gathering. Some of that old dry stuff is very brittle and when you snap it off you often get a very sharp and very hard point.

By the way, if you use a chainsaw try to cut wood that's easy to either split or won't need it. Having a great lump of a stump and belting it with your hatchet will only get you frustrated and it's a waste of rum o'clock time.

JD
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Monty » 12 May 2014, 9:14 am

Chronos wrote:
tucked wrote:What, chainsawing peoples fences so they get repair work? :lol: :D

Ha ha, might be the case

"Chainsaws through your fence? Call Steve's fence repair.

*Chainsaw servicing also available.

Call now!"

:lol:
Obligatory moderator signature: If you can't play by the rules, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Monty

New South Wales

Post by SendIt » 12 May 2014, 9:15 am

headspace wrote:Make sure you carry a pair of decent leather gloves for firewood gathering. Some of that old dry stuff is very brittle and when you snap it off you often get a very sharp and very hard point.

Or a splinter that goes under your finger nail.

That's always great.
Sako 85 Hunter Laminated Stainless 30-06 Sprg
Zeiss Conquest HD5 2-10x42

Winchester 1892 44-40
SendIt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Warrigul » 15 May 2014, 4:35 pm

Left arm straight people- I grew up with big saws in the days before chain brakes and have been fortunate in that I have suffered no injuries, mainly due to my grandfathers instruction. I have a big old direct drive muffler less Danarm I fire up to impress people occaisonally but I would never use it in the bush.

My pop was very impressed when chain brakes(quick stops) first came out and bought a new Stihl as soon as one was available, even though he was a bushman from way back. Dad never had the luxury of a brake when he was falling big trees for the public works department and it was after a couple of close calls that he quit and got a job in town.

This link is a no nonsense introduction to kickback, worth watching for those new to chainsaws, as many people are damaged by little saws as big saws.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBEUYs6I6vU
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by jeener » 16 May 2014, 2:23 pm

Warrigul wrote:I have a big old direct drive muffler less Danarm I fire up to impress people occaisonally but I would never use it in the bush.

Ha ha. Big man with this chainsaw :D :lol:
jeener
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Lyam » 16 May 2014, 2:25 pm

Warrigul wrote:I grew up with big saws in the days before chain brakes and have been fortunate in that I have suffered no injuries, mainly due to my grandfathers instruction.

They really need training videos or picture books to come with saws these days.

Watching some of my neighbours do a bit of work here and there... :shock:

I'm amazed there aren't more arms and legs lying around in my street.
Ruger 77/22 + Bushnell Banner 3.5-10x36
Tikka T3 Forest 270 Win + Swarovski Z3 3-10x42
Lyam
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by feedr » 16 May 2014, 2:27 pm

Lyam wrote:Watching some of my neighbours do a bit of work here and there... :shock:

I know what you mean.

I'm no expert but some people are just asking for trouble the way they use tools like this.

Cringing... just waiting for the cry when something goes bad :?
Tikka T3 Lite Stainless in .308 Winchester.
feedr
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 23 May 2014, 5:23 pm

I wouldn't go camping without my chainsaw, much easier to get good wood for the campfire with one than without. One of the best things I ever bought to be honest, I wouldn't be without one now.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Bourt » 25 May 2014, 9:31 pm

Just use your teeth.

Man style.
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland