Hammocks

Camping, fishing and outdoor recreational activities. Tips, equipment, accessories, hiking and outdoor cooking.

Hammocks

Post by bigpete » 13 Feb 2023, 8:29 am

So I'm thinking of buying one of those camping hammocks to try and do overnight hunts on one of the properties I have access too. Should be interesting as I also need a cpap to sleep.
Anyone use a hammock ( or cpap ) for backpack hunts and have any tips or tricks to share?
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Re: Hammocks

Post by on_one_wheel » 13 Feb 2023, 4:27 pm

I haven't used a fancy camping hammock but iv used camp beds working out bush, just a steel frame like a gate with legs about 2' tall, stretched cyclone fencing over the top.
It was bloody awesome to get up off the ground. :thumbsup:
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 13 Feb 2023, 5:03 pm

Unfortunately they'd be too bulky
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by on_one_wheel » 13 Feb 2023, 5:16 pm

bigpete wrote:Unfortunately they'd be too bulky

Definitely too bulky for travelling in the typical vehicle.

I have seen collapsible camp beds but haven't been too convinced that their robust enough for us heavy weights.
Do you have a link for the hammock your looking at?
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 13 Feb 2023, 6:07 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:

I have seen collapsible camp beds but haven't been too convinced that their robust enough for us heavy weights.

Too bulky for backpacking. I've got all the gear pretty much for car camping
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Lazarus » 13 Feb 2023, 7:13 pm

I've got a string hammock that rolls up to the size of a coffee mug, got it from a disposal shop for about $10.
It's a pearler
Courage is knowing it might
hurt, and doing it anyway.
Stupidity is the same
And that's why life is hard
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by womble » 14 Feb 2023, 3:36 am

Don’t mean to be rude but I prefer to sleep in open areas because gum trees are kinda s**t.
They fall over all the time and branches fall of them, big ones.
Hammocks are really only suitable when you’re dressed up as Peter Pan and playing pirates or something in your back yard.
Which is fine, no judgement.
But I’d probably opt for bushwalking equipment, bivvy bag type thing and self inflating mat
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 14 Feb 2023, 6:25 am

womble wrote:Don’t mean to be rude but I prefer to sleep in open areas because gum trees are kinda s**t.
Hammocks are really only suitable when you’re dressed up as Peter Pan and playing pirates or something in your back yard.
But I’d probably opt for bushwalking equipment, bivvy bag type thing and self inflating mat

Yeah,going to choose to ignore this ignorance based comment henceforth
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 14 Feb 2023, 6:27 am

on_one_wheel wrote:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/18567814058 ... %7Ciid%3A1
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 14 Feb 2023, 6:29 am

Lazarus wrote:I've got a string hammock that rolls up to the size of a coffee mug, got it from a disposal shop for about $10.
It's a pearler

I'd imagine it fits the bill in the lightweight stakes but possibly not in the load carrying and warmth stakes. Be great in hot weather though
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Lazarus » 14 Feb 2023, 11:17 am

Courage is knowing it might
hurt, and doing it anyway.
Stupidity is the same
And that's why life is hard
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 14 Feb 2023, 1:33 pm

womble wrote:Don’t mean to be rude but I prefer to sleep in open areas because gum trees are kinda s**t.

I have to agree, I don't even like it when our cows decide to sleep in the trees and the wind picks up. Years ago the neighbour here (whose property we now own) had four cows killed and one mortally injured when a tree came down on them - I can't image the hell he went through that wet and windy night dealing with that.

I was walking down a track to do some shooting a couple months ago and I just happened to be looking right at a group of trees about 100m ahead of me. One of them suddenly gave a huge shudder, which stopped me as I tried to work out what I had just seen, then it very slowly started to fall over. Our cows were grazing in among those trees just days before. We hear them fall all the time unfortunately but I have never been looking at one when it spontaneously did.

Tried hammocks when I was a young bloke and just never found them comfortable, a hammock hung beneath a hootchie seemed to be an ideal arrangement as both will fit into a pocket. I sleep better when I can stretch out and lie flat.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 14 Feb 2023, 1:36 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:I haven't used a fancy camping hammock but iv used camp beds working out bush, just a steel frame like a gate with legs about 2' tall, stretched cyclone fencing over the top.
It was bloody awesome to get up off the ground. :thumbsup:

I have been lucky enough to use other people's folding camp beds a few times and they are certainly comfortable, but no way am I going to lug that around in the bush.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by womble » 14 Feb 2023, 2:34 pm

bigpete wrote:
on_one_wheel wrote:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/18567814058 ... %7Ciid%3A1

That’s an African elephant, male, approx 6 tonnes.
Impressive bit of kit.
But.
Safe bet that elephant wasn’t strung up between two gum trees when they took the that photo
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 14 Feb 2023, 5:09 pm

You guys do realise there are other trees in Australia than gum trees right ? Lol
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 14 Feb 2023, 6:35 pm

Yonks ago. In hot weather. Hunting around Eildon. Next I hear a crash. A huge limb, perhaps 18" in diameter hit the ground where I had been standing about 60 seconds before.
It's the only time I've seen it, but not forgotten.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 14 Feb 2023, 7:16 pm

bigpete wrote:You guys do realise there are other trees in Australia than gum trees right ? Lol

I also read its only a myth that gums drop more limbs than other trees, it's just basic statistics ... more gum limbs hit the ground because gum trees are so abundant.
It's also possible to look up and survey the risk, health of the tree, size and load on the limb, angles, attachment structure, fall zone etc :thumbsup:
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Pendous » 14 Feb 2023, 9:15 pm

I spent a few hours on the road today traveling at speed a few feet from others doing the same in the opposite direction and while I do admit branches and trees do fall I feel comfortable with using a hammock and deciding where one would anchor said hammock.
I've been know to swim in the ocean at times too, maybe I'm just a risk taker.

As for the hammock, sleeping in one is not for everyone. Better than on the ground in most circumstances, rocks, long grass, wet ground. No padding from the ground required and can sleep without a headrest?.
I have done a light weight inflatable mat and sleeping bag on the ground and while a hammock is certainly more work to erect. Being off the ground with an insect screen and fly has benefits.
No comment on the cpap.

https://hennessyhammock.com.au/
Pendous
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bigpete » 15 Feb 2023, 6:08 am

Pendous wrote:I spent a few hours on the road today traveling at speed a few feet from others doing the same in the opposite direction and while I do admit branches and trees do fall I feel comfortable with using a hammock and deciding where one would anchor said hammock.
I've been know to swim in the ocean at times too, maybe I'm just a risk taker.

As for the hammock, sleeping in one is not for everyone. Better than on the ground in most circumstances, rocks, long grass, wet ground. No padding from the ground required and can sleep without a headrest?.
I have done a light weight inflatable mat and sleeping bag on the ground and while a hammock is certainly more work to erect. Being off the ground with an insect screen and fly has benefits.
No comment on the cpap.

https://hennessyhammock.com.au/

Do you find you need anything extra to keep your back warm ?
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Blr243 » 15 Feb 2023, 4:21 pm

I have a hammock for daytime laziness when hunting but i csnt slerp in them with feet together up at that angle. I have tried dangling both leg over the sides but that sort of does not work. Ideslly i woild like A hammock modified witj a coiple Of leg socks eitjer side of the central support so the central support tied to a tree is sleays goin to be up at thst angle i dont like but with the leg socks hsnging down at least then my legs csn be level. This idea is not easy to explain
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by womble » 15 Feb 2023, 6:25 pm

womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Return to Camping, fishing and outdoor recreation