Do you guys bother with gaiters?

Camping, fishing and outdoor recreational activities. Tips, equipment, accessories, hiking and outdoor cooking.

Do you guys bother with gaiters?

Post by whert » 27 May 2014, 9:00 am

G'day,

I've been thinking about getting a pair of gaiters for snake protection.

TBH been slack about it and have ended up heading out a dozen times now without them :lol:

Never seen / heard a snake as it turns out...

Same as always I guess, they're more scared of us than blah blah blah... Guess they slither away before anyone's close.

So maybe not worth getting now I'm thinking?

Advice?

Thanks.
Weatherby Vanguard S2 .270 Winchester
Mossberg M464 30-30
Gamo Maxima .177
whert
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: Do you guys bother with gaiters?

Post by WesleySnipes » 27 May 2014, 9:54 am

I would say your life is worth more than however much it costs to get a decent pair of gaiters. The old rather have it and not need it then not have them and need them argument.

I've stepped almost on top of snakes and have managed to get on without incident but I've been lucky. You also have be careful where you step as the ones you need to watch out for like certain environments. You have to think like a snake :)
WesleySnipes
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by yoshie » 27 May 2014, 10:25 am

I had a close encounter with a brown snake, now I wear some 'Snake proof gaiters ( from Cabellas) when it's hot. They are fairly quiet but after I wear them for a few hours I get a sore calf mussel, so I don't wear them all the time.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Chronos » 27 May 2014, 12:28 pm

Probably depends what kind of snakes you get in the areas you hunt as well. Brown snakes have quite short fangs (around 3mm) so although they're quite large and aggressive normally a pair of boots and jeans is enough protection from a leg bite

Something like a Coastal Taipan has fangs around 13mm long do if you're hunting in those areas a good pair of puncture proof gaiters would be a good idea.

I've heard of duck hunters in Victoria taking strikes to the waist and chest from tiger snakes whist wading in the reeds, one bloke had a snake get caught in his shotgun vest at chest level. Bugger that!

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 27 May 2014, 12:39 pm

No never used them - I live in Tiger and Brown Snake country but never felt the need to use em myself
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Aussier » 27 May 2014, 3:03 pm

WesleySnipes wrote:The old rather have it and not need it then not have them and need them argument.

Exactly what I was going to say.

Look at it like insurance. It's a waste of money when nothings going wrong. When it does though it's potentially a life saver.

Not like gaiters cost a fortune either.
Aussier
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post by whert » 27 May 2014, 3:04 pm

Nah they're not expensive.

Just looking at the whole picture. Cost, comfort, extra stuff to pack etc. and if it was worth it.

I think I will get a pair. Never hurts to try things.
Weatherby Vanguard S2 .270 Winchester
Mossberg M464 30-30
Gamo Maxima .177
whert
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Westy » 28 May 2014, 5:14 pm

I were them when the weathers hot!!!! My Brother was bitten as a kid by a red belly and he's a complete prick today!!!Wouldn't want to end up like him!!!!!LOL we came across a 8' Mulga Snake at Christmas he was traveling between the 3 of us and bugger he was fast and nasty
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 28 May 2014, 7:17 pm

Chronos wrote:Probably depends what kind of snakes you get in the areas you hunt as well. Brown snakes have quite short fangs (around 3mm) so although they're quite large and aggressive normally a pair of boots and jeans is enough protection from a leg bite

Something like a Coastal Taipan has fangs around 13mm long do if you're hunting in those areas a good pair of puncture proof gaiters would be a good idea.

I've heard of duck hunters in Victoria taking strikes to the waist and chest from tiger snakes whist wading in the reeds, one bloke had a snake get caught in his shotgun vest at chest level. Bugger that!

Chronos

:lol: :lol: That would make the freckle pucker up big time :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by on_one_wheel » 28 May 2014, 11:37 pm

Don't know how credible this is http://www.bobinoz.com/migration-advice ... ut-deaths/ Looks like bees are more likely to kill you.

Snakes are very timid by nature and can feel your footsteps and hear you well before you can see them. I did a snake handling course in he Tanami and a few of the facts we were told were.... if a snake is "chasing " you, just change direction as the snake is just heading back to where it came from, because that's where it last felt safe. People are most likely to be bitten by a snake from stepping on it. the most common of deadly snakes ( browns ) have fangs that are less than 3 mm long and are not likely to get through thick jeans and socks as they are facing the wrong way to be effective for striking, so you need protection from being scratched by the fangs. People generally get bitten from trying to catch or provoke snakes.

While deaths are very rare in Australia it is worth while making sure you have familiarised yourself with the latest ways of how to properly bandage and treat a snake bite. Its has changed since I first learned how.... Its probably changed again since I last learned how to.

My grandfather told me that the best snake repellent is Bundaberg Rum, I'm pretty sure he was right.

This one is a must watch ! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wynx1ukwdVA&feature=kp Catching rabbits with snakes
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Westy » 29 May 2014, 7:56 am

This one is a must watch ! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wynx1ukwdVA&feature=kp Catching rabbits with snakes

Please tell me this d**khead isn't for real :?: :?: :?:

Kids Don't Do Drugs This Guy should Be A Lesson To You All :lol: :D :lol:
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Chronos » 29 May 2014, 8:15 am

on_one_wheel wrote:Don't know how credible this is http://www.bobinoz.com/migration-advice ... ut-deaths/ Looks like bees are more likely to kill you.

Snakes are very timid by nature and can feel your footsteps and hear you well before you can see them. I did a snake handling course in he Tanami and a few of the facts we were told were.... if a snake is "chasing " you, just change direction as the snake is just heading back to where it came from, because that's where it last felt safe. People are most likely to be bitten by a snake from stepping on it. the most common of deadly snakes ( browns ) have fangs that are less than 3 mm long and are not likely to get through thick jeans and socks as they are facing the wrong way to be effective for striking, so you need protection from being scratched by the fangs. People generally get bitten from trying to catch or provoke snakes.

While deaths are very rare in Australia it is worth while making sure you have familiarised yourself with the latest ways of how to properly bandage and treat a snake bite. Its has changed since I first learned how.... Its probably changed again since I last learned how to.

My grandfather told me that the best snake repellent is Bundaberg Rum, I'm pretty sure he was right.

There's a good free app called "bites and stings" put out by the Australian venom research unit. It covers most land and marine animals.

As for first aid for snake bite the St. John's sure has good stuff

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Hadoku » 29 May 2014, 11:54 am

Westy wrote:This one is a must watch ! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wynx1ukwdVA&feature=kp Catching rabbits with snakes

Just... Wow...
Hadoku
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by yoshie » 29 May 2014, 12:46 pm

Hadoku wrote:
Westy wrote:This one is a must watch ! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wynx1ukwdVA&feature=kp Catching rabbits with snakes

Just... Wow...

Temporary Australian comes to mind
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Boatman » 30 May 2014, 3:00 pm

Surely that guys days are numbered...

Darwinism waiting to happen.
Boatman
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by MrClark » 01 Jun 2014, 5:37 pm

I bought a set of the Cabela's snake proof ones for me and my brother, just thought "hey if we do get bit without them, it's going to ruin a hunting trip, if I get bit wearing them, I'll probably poop myself but granted I'm carrying TP I'll be able to carry on hunting" over here in WA there's that bloody dugite bastard, nasty piece of work.

One of our Belt Tech's (hottest bird you'll ever meet) got bit by a death adder up in the pilbara on her fist day, ha ha ha at the PUB! She was OK though.
I really hope Export isn't actually Exported, mighty embarrassing for WA, hahaha I'll still drink it though
MrClark
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by Chronos » 01 Jun 2014, 6:19 pm

MrClark wrote:I bought a set of the Cabelas snake proof ones for me and my brother, just thought "hey if we do get bit without them, its going to ruin a hunting trip, if i get bit wearing them, i'll probably poop myself but granted im carrying TP ill be able to carry on hunting" over here in WA theres that bloody dugite bastard, nasty piece of work.
one of our Belt Tech's (hottest bird you'll ever meet) got bit by a death adder up in the pilbara on her fist day, hahaha at the PUB!!! she was ok though.

"someone needs to suck the poison out"

*joins cue of volunteers :lol:

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by RoginaJack » 02 Jun 2014, 12:55 pm

Up North, it's not the fresh water gaiters that's a worry; it's the big salt water crocs that the problem...;) LOL, sorry couldn't resist that.

Not only but gaiters would prevent sticks, grass seeds, ticks, leeches etc from getting inside your boots etc AND stop your trouser legs from flapping and getting caught on everything as well. Besides, gaiters look really cool!
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Tiiger » 02 Jun 2014, 2:14 pm

MrClark wrote:"hey if we do get bit without them, it's going to ruin a hunting trip, if I get bit wearing them, I'll probably poop myself but granted I'm carrying TP I'll be able to carry on hunting"

I can't help but think that s**ting yourself might take the shine off the hunting trip too :lol:
Tiiger
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Khan » 02 Jun 2014, 2:14 pm

Gaiters + Nappies recommended :lol:
44 Rem. Magnum Marlin Model 1894
.280 Rem. Browning X-Bolt Hunter
Khan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by MrClark » 10 Jun 2014, 5:22 pm

Tiiger wrote:
MrClark wrote:"hey if we do get bit without them, it's going to ruin a hunting trip, if I get bit wearing them, I'll probably poop myself but granted I'm carrying TP I'll be able to carry on hunting"

I can't help but think that s**ting yourself might take the shine off the hunting trip too :lol:

Hahahaha yeah mate haha, no amount of scent eliminator is gunna cover that up hahahaha
I really hope Export isn't actually Exported, mighty embarrassing for WA, hahaha I'll still drink it though
MrClark
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by disco2 » 11 Jun 2014, 1:15 pm

Yep. Sure do use them. As has been said previously. They don't cost a fortune and are cheap insurance.

Cheers

Richard
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines
disco2
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by subatom » 11 Jun 2014, 2:56 pm

disco2 wrote:Yep. Sure do use them. As has been said previously. They don't cost a fortune and are cheap insurance.

Cheaper than a shot of anti-venom.

Learned through the vet that s**t is $600 a shot.
Remington VTR .308 Winchester. Marlin 336 .35 Remington. Mossberg 185 20 gauge.
subatom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Return to Camping, fishing and outdoor recreation