Swapping the knife for a tomahawk

Camping, fishing and outdoor recreational activities. Tips, equipment, accessories, hiking and outdoor cooking.

Swapping the knife for a tomahawk

Post by scrolllock » 29 May 2014, 3:06 pm

G'day,

I'm working on an ultra-light pack for the bush.

Talking seriously bare essentials for doing it all. The leatherman of camping packs :lol:

Tossing up the idea of swapping the knife for a tomahawk with a blade on the back end.

Before anyone says, I know that'll be heavier than a knife :lol:

Figure though it ticks a few boxes... cutting, chopping, prying, digging (sort of).

Anyone taken the plunge and done this?
scrolllock
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Swapping the knife for a tomahawk

Post by Hatter » 29 May 2014, 3:08 pm

Good thread on tomahawk options going on here FYI.

Favourite tomahawk.
30-06 Steyr 98 -- .243W Steyr Pro Varmint -- 32-20 WCF Winchester 1885 -- 223 Remington 700 5R
Hatter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by WesleySnipes » 29 May 2014, 6:17 pm

Hey buddy!

The thread Hatter mentioned above was made to see if anyone other than me regularly uses a tomahawk and what their preferences are. I tend to use a CRKT Kangee for all the uses you've described, it's is an excellent piece and the best tomahawk I've owned (I've had quite a few). It's full tang one piece construction gives it amazing strength which is an advantage over other hawks that are made of two or more pieces, so it's near impossible to break. Steel is unbreakable and hold a good edge. I've tested it on metal and it gets through it in no time and shows hardly any wear. All edges of the head have a blade so it's really good at chopping, puncturing, cutting and prying!

Have a look at some reviews on YouTube and see if it would suit your needs! it really is a quality piece.
WesleySnipes
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Combat_Wombat » 29 May 2014, 7:54 pm

Anyone tried skinning with a tommahawk? I think even the apaches used knives for that one
Remington 700 CDL .270
Rossi M92 44mag
CZ 452 deluxe .22LR
Howa 1500 .204
Savage FVSR 22
Combat_Wombat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by WesleySnipes » 29 May 2014, 10:42 pm

Combat_Wombat wrote:Anyone tried skinning with a tommahawk? I think even the apaches used knives for that one

It's difficult. :D

The blades on knives are usually of a smaller angle then tomahawk blades to create a sharper edge, but one that wouldn't last and stay sharp under constant chopping etc. So while tomahawks are designed for long term hard use and edge retention they're not quite as sharp and most knives as the angles are larger creating a more solid edge.
WesleySnipes
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Gregg » 30 May 2014, 8:54 am

WesleySnipes wrote:Hey buddy!

Awww, Wesley found a friend :lol:

:D
Howa 1500 .270 WInchester
Savage Model 10/110 Predator .204 Ruger
Gregg
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by scrolllock » 30 May 2014, 8:56 am

WesleySnipes wrote:Have a look at some reviews on YouTube and see if it would suit your needs! it really is a quality piece.

I will mate, thanks.
scrolllock
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 30 May 2014, 8:58 am

What do you use these Tomahawks for? I've never found I've ever needed one.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by scrolllock » 30 May 2014, 8:58 am

WesleySnipes wrote:The blades on knives are usually of a smaller angle then tomahawk blades to create a sharper edge, but one that wouldn't last and stay sharp under constant chopping etc. So while tomahawks are designed for long term hard use and edge retention they're not quite as sharp and most knives as the angles are larger creating a more solid edge.

That's the kind of stuff I'm tossing up between.

I know carrying a knife doesn't sound like much, but it all adds up.

If I went down this path it would be head-side for chopping, blade-side for cutting - no exceptions. Just gotta find the right bladed one...
scrolllock
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Redwood » 30 May 2014, 9:04 am

bigfellascott wrote:What do you use these Tomahawks for? I've never found I've ever needed one.

Basically a multi tool for me.

I have this Gerber...

Chopping wood, hammering pegs, the pry-bar end is good too on softer wood and you can pull it apart instead of chopping which saves time.

I opted for the handle in the blade, but others work as a shovel for small fire pits too.

I'd never swap for a knife though. Always take one too.
Redwood
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Grrzrr » 30 May 2014, 9:05 am

Just stick the knife in your bag too for now and go for a few trips without using it.

If you can do 4-5 trips without having to get it out you should be right.
Grrzrr
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 30 May 2014, 9:31 am

Redwood wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:What do you use these Tomahawks for? I've never found I've ever needed one.

Basically a multi tool for me.

I have this Gerber...

Chopping wood, hammering pegs, the pry-bar end is good too on softer wood and you can pull it apart instead of chopping which saves time.

I opted for the handle in the blade, but others work as a shovel for small fire pits too.

I'd never swap for a knife though. Always take one too.

Thanks for that mate, I think I had a tomahawk as a kid but these days I us a chainsaw when I go camping for wood cutting and chains for dragging trees up for the fire (cut em into 2m lengths for the fire once back at camp)

As for cutting rope etc, I just use the same knife I use to cut up dinner with, I use the hammer from the tool kit if needed to knock pegs in - the one thing that really comes in handy is a long handle shovel for getting the coals out of the fire for the cooking duties and digging holes for the toilet etc.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by WesleySnipes » 30 May 2014, 5:51 pm

Gregg wrote:
WesleySnipes wrote:Hey buddy!

Awww, Wesley found a friend :lol:

:D

Just making friends everywhere I go :D

As mentioned above, just use it as a general multi use tool that is useful in many situations. When I go hunting I tend to camp and only take my pack with with me so a chainsaw isn't really an option, and I love throwing it too :)

scrolllock wrote:
WesleySnipes wrote:The blades on knives are usually of a smaller angle then tomahawk blades to create a sharper edge, but one that wouldn't last and stay sharp under constant chopping etc. So while tomahawks are designed for long term hard use and edge retention they're not quite as sharp and most knives as the angles are larger creating a more solid edge.

That's the kind of stuff I'm tossing up between.

I know carrying a knife doesn't sound like much, but it all adds up.

If I went down this path it would be head-side for chopping, blade-side for cutting - no exceptions. Just gotta find the right bladed one...

Yeah I agree, the CRKT works great in that way as the whole top and bottom also have blades so it's good for cutting, chopping etc. For example, when I'm cutting meat I'll use the top side and roll it whilst applying downwards pressure which seems to work fine for me.
WesleySnipes
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by scrolllock » 02 Jun 2014, 6:27 pm

WesleySnipes wrote:Yeah I agree, the CRKT works great in that way as the whole top and bottom also have blades so it's good for cutting, chopping etc. For example, when I'm cutting meat I'll use the top side and roll it whilst applying downwards pressure which seems to work fine for me.

Cheers Wes.

I'm gunna have a look at the CRKT stuff.
scrolllock
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by WesleySnipes » 02 Jun 2014, 10:09 pm

scrolllock wrote:Cheers Wes.

I'm gunna have a look at the CRKT stuff.

No worries mate!

There's some good Aussie made stuff too, for a bit of extra coin like Hardcore Hardware. Make some real quality stuff!
WesleySnipes
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Wes » 03 Jun 2014, 11:30 am

scrolllock wrote:Cheers Wes.

Got confused for a second there... Thinking huh? I didn't help with anything :lol:
Wes
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Return to Camping, fishing and outdoor recreation