Cooking duck

Camping, fishing and outdoor recreational activities. Tips, equipment, accessories, hiking and outdoor cooking.

Cooking duck

Post by whert » 25 Jun 2014, 8:43 am

Caught my first couple of ducks... From the store :lol:

It's something I want to get into but will have to do with just practice cooking for now.

Tell me duck hunters (and eaters) how do you cook 'em?
Weatherby Vanguard S2 .270 Winchester
Mossberg M464 30-30
Gamo Maxima .177
whert
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: Cooking duck

Post by Chronos » 25 Jun 2014, 8:50 am

Rare, oil, salt and garlic, breasts off hot pan. Think kangaroo fillet.

however store bought probably have heaps more fat than wild duck so you could roast the whole bird or butterfly it and grill on the webber but be careful not to let it dry out.

The legs are best confit, slow cooked in strangely enough duck fat ;)

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by ailar » 25 Jun 2014, 8:52 am

I get the Chinese guy at the restaurant who knows what' he's doing to 'peking' it :lol:
ailar
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by Hardcast » 25 Jun 2014, 12:49 pm

A bit of stuffing, then wrapped in Alfoil goes all right.
I have 'slow cooked' a few over the years, meat falls off the bone.
Hardcast
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Warrigul » 25 Jun 2014, 2:22 pm

Hardcast wrote:A bit of stuffing, then wrapped in Alfoil goes all right.
I have 'slow cooked' a few over the years, meat falls off the bone.

It is quite interesting, you do what most people I have come across in my lifetime do- slow roast, I do pretty much the same but use an oven bag.

Look at the new generation, he either confits the duck breast in duck fat, or sears it rare on a hot skillet. My how the information from the internet has changed how we do things, what will they ever come up with next.

Best duck I ever had was stuffed with bread and apple, tied up in a heap of soggy wet newspaper and buried in ashes under a fire for three hours. As kids we used to go duck hunting with an old TAA sports bag and bread at the local picnic spot.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Lorgar » 25 Jun 2014, 3:46 pm

ailar wrote:I get the Chinese guy at the restaurant who knows what' he's doing to 'peking' it :lol:

Not real hard to do at home, just takes time.

I'll be doing this on Friday actually. Will try to take some pictures.

The trick is the skin... I put the duck in the oven on fan-forced for 3-4 hours at a real low temp like 50-60 degrees to dry out the skin and lose some of the excess moisture. You can feel the skin get real papery and the meat doesn't cook at all.

After that crank it up to cook the meat and brown the skin. Whack it in a pancake with hoisin and spring onion and you're off.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by mobo » 01 Jul 2014, 8:36 am

Lorgar wrote:The trick is the skin... I put the duck in the oven on fan-forced for 3-4 hours at a real low temp like 50-60 degrees to dry out the skin and lose some of the excess moisture. You can feel the skin get real papery and the meat doesn't cook at all.

I'm not much of a cook but I saw on some cooking show the traditional way is you're suppose to air dry it for 12 hours or more.

Ain't nobody got time for that :lol:
Mossberg 802 Plinkster 22LR

Savage Stevens 200 .270 Winchester
mobo
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Return to Camping, fishing and outdoor recreation