A few bunny's with the fish

Camping, fishing and outdoor recreational activities. Tips, equipment, accessories, hiking and outdoor cooking.

A few bunny's with the fish

Post by tom604 » 29 Jun 2014, 12:03 pm

Bunny's (342x456).jpg
Bunny's (342x456).jpg (210.25 KiB) Viewed 3878 times

Went for a walk with the mighty .22 marlin (aka the fish) the other day on a property that I am allowed on in the Adelaide hills. Its only a small place and near a town which (self imposed) limits my shooting area to an area near a creek and a hill side.

As I was walking down the hill I flushed out a massive rabbit,would of went three feet if it went an inch, well up came the .22 and I took a freehand shot at the fleeing monster rabbit, after the smoke had cleared and I had gotten over the shock of the massive recoil I realised that the rabbit, as big as it was, had done a Houdini act and was gone! I kept going until I reached the creek line and started to hunt in earnest, a bit like deer hunting but more walking and you don't have to be quiet.

Well you would not believe it but out from the long grass came a slightly smaller bunny. Got you this time I thought to myself as I dropped to one knee raised the rifle, centred the cross hairs on its head, caressed the 7 kg trigger and sent a Winnie sub of death speeding on its way.

After picking myself off the ground, cursing the recoil of the .22 I was stoked to find one dead bunny on the ground.

After retrieving the bunny I put it next to my pack and continued on. It seemed like hours later but was in fact only about two minutes that I was charged by a suicidal bunny, I didn't wait to see if it had a vest on or not but at 35 mtrs that rabbit went to the big burrow in the sky. I wiped the sweat from my brow with a shaky hand after that I can tell you! Walking on I spotted two ears in some grass, down on one knee, a tendon pulling squeeze on the trigger and number three was on the ground.

After popping my shoulder back into its socket I hefted the two rabbits back to my pack and had a five minute rest to get my heart rate back to normal, I was just about to call it a day when I saw another rabbit about halfway up the hill near some gorse bushes,place is covered in them, down on one knee again,boom, thwack and bunny's on his back, you ripper,worth a sore shoulder, put the rifle down and take about fifteen steps when I hear a squeal, look up and the bloody things commando crawling to the bush, bugger,get back to the .22 and take a snap shot as the bunny reaches the bush, miss and he's gone,walk up the hill and look around,nothing, double bugger!

Called it a night after that as my shoulder was starting to stiffen up and it was cold. ;)
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Re: a few bunny's with the fish

Post by cruze82 » 29 Jun 2014, 1:43 pm

Great work mate
that was very entreating to read keep up the good work
cruze82
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by on_one_wheel » 29 Jun 2014, 6:10 pm

Very funny..... Sounds like you had some fun.

Looks like it was a bit dryer where you were, I spent the day collecting wood behind Mount Barker copping rain, hail and shine all in one day.

Seen two hairs running for their lives in the rain..... funny how they just keep going.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by tom604 » 01 Jul 2014, 8:36 pm

thanks, no rain but bloody cold, its only rabbits but i try to make it up there once every couple of months, hes said if i see any cats they are fair game as well 8-)
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by MeccaOz » 01 Jul 2014, 9:09 pm

Laffin, love the read :)
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Re: A few bunny's with the fish

Post by batter » 02 Jul 2014, 4:06 pm

I um, washed my car...

Cool story, right?
batter
Private
Private

Northern Territory

Post by Antie » 02 Jul 2014, 4:07 pm

Tom's yes. Yours... Shutup :P
Antie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by AusC » 02 Jul 2014, 4:08 pm

Good work mate.

I haven't been out for bunnies in a while. Think you've inspired me to get out this weekend.
300 Win Mag Tikka T3 Lite.
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by scrolllock » 07 Jul 2014, 8:45 am

Thought I was in for some rabbit and fish cooking pictures with this, now I'm hungry :lol:
scrolllock
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Aussier » 07 Jul 2014, 8:45 am

Rabbit pie with creamy bacon sauce is great.

Off you go. Make me one while you're at it? :D
Aussier
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by subatom » 07 Jul 2014, 8:47 am

tom604 wrote:After picking myself off the ground, cursing the recoil of the .22 I was stoked to find one dead bunny on the ground.

Are you sure you're ok? I can come around and open your jars for a few weeks if you need :D
Remington VTR .308 Winchester. Marlin 336 .35 Remington. Mossberg 185 20 gauge.
subatom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Gregg » 07 Jul 2014, 8:48 am

If you're on call I'll get the wife to call you as well so I stop getting dragged out of the shed all the time for it...
Howa 1500 .270 WInchester
Savage Model 10/110 Predator .204 Ruger
Gregg
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by tom604 » 11 Jul 2014, 5:49 pm

subatom wrote:
tom604 wrote:After picking myself off the ground, cursing the recoil of the .22 I was stoked to find one dead bunny on the ground.

Are you sure you're ok? I can come around and open your jars for a few weeks if you need :D

all good,, just finished with the last of the physio visits and the doc assures me that i will get feeling back when the bruising go's down :lol: :lol: :lol:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by subatom » 13 Jul 2014, 8:29 pm

:D
Remington VTR .308 Winchester. Marlin 336 .35 Remington. Mossberg 185 20 gauge.
subatom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Return to Camping, fishing and outdoor recreation