Another new Property to play on

Camping, fishing and outdoor recreational activities. Tips, equipment, accessories, hiking and outdoor cooking.

Another new Property to play on

Post by bigfellascott » 10 Aug 2014, 6:26 am

Well I finally went out to a property I picked up a while back on the way to one of my regular properties, anyway I went for a little whistle and finally got one to come in, I'd only just sat down, chambered a round and got the AHN Tenterfield into gear, about 10sec later this fox comes from some blackberries at a fairly stiff ol pace coming straight for me so I made a kissing sound with the lips, it jams the brakes on, I put the X-hairs on the white diamond, send a shot off and  FMD I must have missed the bastard as it turned and bolted at full tilt :evil: :roll: can't win em all hey!

WTF is that, I can scone em at 300m and can't even nail one at 80m :? anyway I continued to whistle a few more spots but nothing else came in so I figured I'd just sit for a while and see what else I could see getting about, eventually I spotted some bunnies sitting alongside some blackberries and I thought to myself - well fella's its not your lucky day!  I set the bipod up, took aim on the first victim and sent a 39bk on its way - THUMP! bunnie down, smacked it right in the head :D

I wondered over and picked it up, sat back down near the car and waited for the next victim to show up, 10mins or so went past then the next one decided it must be safe to go and have a look where its mate was - bad move that one, X-hairs about 2-3" below its head and BANG THUMP! next bunnie hits the deck :boogie:, I wonder on over and pick up what's left of it and put it with the last one. Then I just sit back down and wait and see if anything else is silly enough to run the Gauntlet, sure enough not long after I spot another one willing to be the 3rd victim for the day, X-hair lined up about 2-3" below the head, BANG FLOP bunnie down! :D

By this time it was getting late so figured that's enough for now so headed home feeling somewhat happy that a few more bunnies won't be doing any further damage to the property, annoyed at myself for screwing up the Fox shot (can't figure out what happened there) anyway nothing I can do about it now, I'll just have to try and shoot the bugger next time I'm there hey. ;)

bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Went for a quick run with the 222

Post by bigfellascott » 26 Aug 2014, 8:46 am

G'day fella's,

I woke up this morning half expecting to see rain but instead I saw sunshine through the window, I thought bugger it I'll give the property owner a call and see if I can go and play, which he was only too happy to see happen, so I quickly packed all the gear in the vehicle and headed off.

I had a bit of a whistle for some foxes first but none were seen again so I figured I'd have a bit of a play with the bunnies instead, they were a tad nervous this time round with quite a few seen but not too many willing to sit still for too long :( I did however manage to roll 5 but all bar one ended up flipping about and ending  up either back down burrows or into the blackberries :evil: This little fellow below was the only one I could find so not much in the way of pics for this little outing I'm afraid. :?

I'd actually packed up and was heading home when I spotted this little fellow, so I got out and put the bolt back in and loaded a round in and used the bonnet for a rest, squeezed the trigger, whack, sconed right in the head and as per the usual it did the merry back flip dance and I though s**t another one is going to get down the burrow again never to be seen again, but I got lucky with this one.

I also watched a beautiful big eagle chasing a couple of bunnies around, what a magnificent looking creature they are, he almost had one until it made a last minute dash for some blackberries. If he's quick enough he might be able to retrieve that one I shot before the foxes or something else gets it.

I haven't shot the 222 for a while so figured I'd roll a few up on the weekend and after a quick check to see where it was shooting after I pulled it apart the other day for some pics it was about an 1" to the left so a quick turn on the dials and it was shooting where it should be, I tell ya the 222 is such a sweet little cal to shoot, no muzzle jump or anything, a real pleasure. :D

222 CMC Mountaineer (Varmint Barrel)
12x Leupold M8 Scope
Hilver 1pce Bridge Mounts
Boyds Thumbhole (Forest Camo Colour)
50gn Sierra Bk
22.5gn of 2206H
7.5 Rem BR Primer
Case wise well whatever I have floating around will do. ;)

Last edited by Monty on 04 Sep 2014, 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged this into your other bunny busting topic.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Re: Another new Property to play on

Post by harris » 02 Sep 2014, 4:24 pm

I swear you're just taking pictures of the same patch of grass and telling us it all different properties and rabbits to make people jealous :P
Guns don’t kill people, husbands who come home early from work kill people
harris
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 02 Sep 2014, 5:04 pm

harris wrote:I swear you're just taking pictures of the same patch of grass and telling us it all different properties and rabbits to make people jealous :P

That properties next door to one of my regular ones - I picked it up on the way to the other property a while back. :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by petemacsydney » 02 Sep 2014, 6:35 pm

i'm not sure, but i don't think that rabbit is having a good hair day...
_________
Are you ready for the Zombie apocalypse?
petemacsydney
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 02 Sep 2014, 6:43 pm

petemacsydney wrote:i'm not sure, but i don't think that rabbit is having a good hair day...

One things for sure - it won't be having anymore! :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by 1290 » 02 Sep 2014, 7:19 pm

bigfellascott wrote:.....annoyed at myself for screwing up the Fox shot (can't figure out what happened there) anyway nothing I can do about it now, I'll just have to try and shoot the bugger next time I'm there hey. ;)

Let me help you out here bigfella... TOO MUCH ELEVATION :lol: :D
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 02 Sep 2014, 7:43 pm

:lol: you wouldn't believe what happened the other day, I went out whistling again, called in 4, first one came in then just disappeared so I guess it winded me but can't see how considering the wind direction, 2nd one sat at 330m away, 3rd one came down a hill about 100m away and I missed that one some how too :? , then the 4th one was 368m away and all I had to use was my little 222! FARK of all the times to have to make long shots on foxes - I'd normally have the 204 with me but this time decided to take the 222 for a run and on top of all that I spot a feral cat about 80m away and it ducks behind a rock so I sat down and started calling but it didn't come in so I figured it was either deaf or it walked/ran off in line with the rocks so I walk down and sure enough the little buggers still there, spots me and bolts like a scalded cat! :lol:

Not one of those long shots was willing to budge either, they just sat there for 4 or 5mins whilst I did my best dying animal impersonation with the Scotch Predator Caller, Tenterfield and the bloody fox pro - nothing, nada the bastards just sat there and the one I did get a shot at I bloody miss! :lol: :lol: WTF I think I've upset the Fox God some how! :D
In the end I spotted a lonely bunny sunning itself so I rolled that, as I'm walking back with it a scare up 2 more :lol:

What a bloody day, would have to be the worst I've shot in ages, I can't believe that fox at 100m, I had the X-hairs on its chest, squeezed the shot off and the bugger bolts like it wasn't hit (just like the last one your talking about) :oops: Then I decided to set a target up at 100m and test the rifle to make sure something hasn't gone wrong, nop it was spot on (3 shots in a 5c piece) so it just have been little ol me again! :x

s**t happens hey! :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by FuzzyM » 03 Sep 2014, 8:50 am

I know the feeling! My first shot at a rabbit (big fat rabbit), I was sitting in some brush, about twenty yards away, see a rabbit, slowly bring my .22 up, aim carefully, calmly take the shot. I swear the little ****er jumped at the last second! Runs off. :cry:

It was 20 yards, I can hit a rabbbit size target standing at 50 yards. Wasn't happy. :(
FuzzyM
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 03 Sep 2014, 10:15 am

FuzzyM wrote:I know the feeling! My first shot at a rabbit (big fat rabbit), I was sitting in some brush, about twenty yards away, see a rabbit, slowly bring my .22 up, aim carefully, calmly take the shot. I swear the little ****er jumped at the last second! Runs off. :cry:

It was 20 yards, I can hit a rabbbit size target standing at 50 yards. Wasn't happy. :(

It's bizarre alright, always amazes me when it happens, I've poked em in the head at 275m before and buggered if I know how I miss em at 100m or less! :?
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by meek » 04 Sep 2014, 1:24 pm

That third picture looks like he's gone through the guillotine.

Head ooooooff
Remington 700
another Remington 700 :lol:
meek
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by franc » 04 Sep 2014, 1:25 pm

1290 wrote:Let me help you out here bigfella... TOO MUCH ELEVATION :lol: :D

Everyone thought he was aiming at the rabbit 80m away, he was really aiming at the one 2,500m away.
Remington 700. .308 Winchester.
franc
Private
Private

Tasmania

Post by chacho » 04 Sep 2014, 1:25 pm

franc wrote:Everyone thought he was aiming at the rabbit 80m away, he was really aiming at the one 2,500m away.

That's what I tell people when I miss.

Nah, I was aiming at the one behind him. You didn't see him but he was there :lol:
chacho
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by 1290 » 04 Sep 2014, 1:36 pm

franc wrote:

Everyone thought he was aiming at the rabbit 80m away, he was really aiming at the one 2,500m away.

Thought he had the volley sights set at 2,500 yards hey.... :lol:

and heard the command for VOLLEY FIIIIIYAAAA!!

Dont worry, only stirring bigfella ;)
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by meateater » 05 Sep 2014, 11:11 am

1290 wrote:and heard the command for VOLLEY FIIIIIYAAAA!!

:lol:

I'm imaging some random dude running around the country side yelling this out on the off chance he finds someone.
meateater
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 05 Sep 2014, 11:30 am

Not if ya lobbin em at rabbits over the hill 5 mile away :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by inventurkey » 17 Sep 2014, 11:30 am

meateater wrote:
1290 wrote:and heard the command for VOLLEY FIIIIIYAAAA!!

:lol:

I'm imaging some random dude running around the country side yelling this out on the off chance he finds someone.

The police are likely to find him first I think :lol:
Savage Axis Stainless in .308
Tikka Lite .22-250 Rem
inventurkey
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by lole » 17 Sep 2014, 11:31 am

bigfellascott wrote:Not if ya lobbin em at rabbits over the hill 5 mile away :lol:

You got some damn tall hills on that property.
lole
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Camping, fishing and outdoor recreation