So I went for a poke around today

Camping, fishing and outdoor recreational activities. Tips, equipment, accessories, hiking and outdoor cooking.

So I went for a poke around today

Post by bigfellascott » 19 Sep 2014, 7:44 pm

After checking the traps I put in yesterday and nothing in the first and come close to getting something in the 2nd :roll: the trap was pulled up from its bed and must have had something in it at one stage :( anyway I reset it and will check them again tomorrow.

I had a bit more of a poke around and checked a dead heffer to see if anything had been at it - nothing so far, she's starting to smell a bit more so it shouldn't be too long before something comes to have a feed, so will put a trap on her ass once I notice some activity.

I drove around and spotted a couple of bunnies sunning themselves so figured I've got the little Brno Mod 2 with me I might as well have a crack and see how I go.

So I hopped out of the BT and got a bit of a rest on a rock nearby, lined up the bunny and sent a 40gn Win Power Point on its way - WHACK and the bunny was down. :lol: it was a good 50m or so shot so happy with that.

I then went over to another gully and had a bit of a whistle to see if any foxes were about but none seen so I started to work my way back, as I did I stopped and glassed the opposite bank and spotted a bunny sitting under a log :D I though right oh you're next, so I headed over a little closer and got the BT in position for shot no.2, I popped the Brno out the window, chambered a round and lined the rabbit up, with the X-hairs Just above its head I touched off the PP and WHACK  straight between the eyes :lol: the second bunny was on the ground. I drove down the hill toward the creekline and thought that will do, so walked across the creek and picked up the bunny (fark my knees aren't at all happy after doing that I can tell ya) :( anyway I managed to get my big ass back up the hill to take a few pics.

Anyway I'll be back out there again tomorrow to check the traps  - I just hope I have a fox or too in em. ;)

Equipment used:-
Brno Mod 2
4x Tasco Scope
Win 22 Power Points (40gn)
Pair of Andrews Binos (Bought 2nd hand of AHN Member Robz) for $40 :wink:
The Sling is a old Kangaroo Hide that I shot with it as a kid, still going strong after all these years and would have to be one of the most comfortable slings I have, really great for those off hand shots (wrap it around the forearm and send one flyin). :D

1st one to bite the dust! (approx 50m down hill)

2nd one to bite the dust! (approx 70m-80m)

3rd eye for this fella.

The log it was hiding under
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Re: So I went for a poke around today

Post by Die Judicii » 19 Sep 2014, 7:55 pm

Hey there Scottie,,
That thar wabbit must be a bloody Indian one !

It appears to have the third eye. :lol:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by MeccaOz » 19 Sep 2014, 7:58 pm

Sounds like a pretty great day out mate , I'm a bit envious :)
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 19 Sep 2014, 8:30 pm

Die Judicii wrote:Hey there Scottie,,
That thar wabbit must be a bloody Indian one !

It appears to have the third eye. :lol:

:lol: he needed a 3rd eye as he didn't see that one comin! :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 19 Sep 2014, 8:32 pm

MeccaOz wrote:Sounds like a pretty great day out mate , I'm a bit envious :)

Yeah mate any day out in the bush is a good day to me - don't be envious, just get out there and start shootin. :D I'll be back out tomorrow to check the traps so hopefully I will have a fox or 2 to show. I came close today going by one of the traps (not sure what set it off) - here's hoping.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Die Judicii » 19 Sep 2014, 9:08 pm

bigfellascott wrote:

Yeah mate any day out in the bush is a good day to me - don't be envious, just get out there and start shootin. :D I'll be back out tomorrow to check the traps so hopefully I will have a fox or 2 to show. I came close today going by one of the traps (not sure what set it off) - here's hoping.

Sounds like a true genuine Aussie to me.
Maybe plant a trail camera looking over those traps mate.
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 19 Sep 2014, 9:26 pm

Die Judicii wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:

Sounds like a true genuine Aussie to me.
Maybe plant a trail camera looking over those traps mate.

Yeah mate I was thinking the same, only prob is I don't own one! :lol: I might shout myself one for Xmas.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by MeccaOz » 19 Sep 2014, 9:41 pm

LOL I been out on a mates farm/station most of the week, think I'd be in the s**t big time if I head out again. :lol: Bloody foxes are very adept at getting themselves out of traps. A good mate of mine was loosing chickens and setup a trail camera and a cat trap for the fox, the fox got in the trap, trap shut on it... the fox decided he didnt want to be in there anymore and managed to pull the door back and up , and promptly left lol
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 19 Sep 2014, 9:58 pm

MeccaOz wrote:LOL I been out on a mates farm/station most of the week, think I'd be in the s**t big time if I head out again. :lol: Bloody foxes are very adept at getting themselves out of traps. A good mate of mine was loosing chickens and setup a trail camera and a cat trap for the fox, the fox got in the trap, trap shut on it... the fox decided he didnt want to be in there anymore and managed to pull the door back and up , and promptly left lol

They are buggers alright, I whistled one in yesterday but no sooner had I spotted it and it just walked off almost giving me the bird! :lol: cheeky bugger it was, I didn't even get a chance to get it in the scope for a shot (mind you it was around 360m + so wasn't much hope anyway with me shooting. :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Die Judicii » 19 Sep 2014, 10:47 pm

bigfellascott wrote:
MeccaOz wrote:LOL I been out on a mates farm/station most of the week, think I'd be in the s**t big time if I head out again. :lol: Bloody foxes are very adept at getting themselves out of traps. A good mate of mine was loosing chickens and setup a trail camera and a cat trap for the fox, the fox got in the trap, trap shut on it... the fox decided he didnt want to be in there anymore and managed to pull the door back and up , and promptly left lol

They are buggers alright, I whistled one in yesterday but no sooner had I spotted it and it just walked off almost giving me the bird! :lol: cheeky bugger it was, I didn't even get a chance to get it in the scope for a shot (mind you it was around 360m + so wasn't much hope anyway with me shooting. :lol:

Cheeky Buggers,, ++++++++

Was on a station out near Pooncarie once, and spotted a fox out in the open in the middle of the day.

Chased him (in the vehicle, a Monaro actually) and the cheeky bugger actually paused long enough for a quick sh*t, before taking off,

Soon he puffed, and stopped again.

This time I jumped out and clobbered him with the old trusty dinosaur, a single banger Boito 12 g

Did you hear about the irish fox that got caught in a trap ?

His mates said, "Chew your leg off, and get away."

He chewed off 3 legs, and called to his mates sayin "All right, that didn't work, what next ?"

:shock: :?
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 19 Sep 2014, 11:00 pm

:lol: thanks for sharing that mate, that was a crack up :lol: :lol: :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by agentzero » 21 Sep 2014, 3:55 pm

Die Judicii wrote:Chased him (in the vehicle, a Monaro actually) and the cheeky bugger actually paused long enough for a quick sh*t, before taking off,

Ha ha.

Telling you what he thought of your driving maybe? :lol:
agentzero
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by bigfellascott » 21 Sep 2014, 5:05 pm

I think I've worked out why I was missing foxes with the traps, I didn't set the pan tension (figured it was alright the way it came) but clearly it was too sensitive and was only getting them on a toe or there abouts. :roll:

I've since put a "Night Latch" into the Pan so hopefully that and adjusting the Pan Tension (2lb or there abouts) will see me catching foxes.

The little cutout on that hook looking thing above the brass screw is the "Night Latch".

bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Westy » 21 Sep 2014, 5:27 pm

nice file work Scott
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 21 Sep 2014, 7:26 pm

Westy wrote:nice file work Scott

Cheers Westy, hopefully it will do the trick!
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by wrenchman » 22 Sep 2014, 7:13 am

are those padded traps i have not seen them just read about them what size are they
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by bigfellascott » 22 Sep 2014, 7:56 am

wrenchman wrote:are those padded traps i have not seen them just read about them what size are they

Yeah mate they have rubber lined jaws - we aren't allowed to use traps without them. - these are Bridger 1.65's. Basically the Rubber stops any damage to the animal and holds em just as good as a normal no rubber jaw trap.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by wrenchman » 22 Sep 2014, 9:03 am

they were thinking of haveing us use them but droped the idea.
my son likes 2.5 duke for coons are kill traps legal
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Kelix » 22 Sep 2014, 11:44 am

bigfellascott wrote:I didn't set the pan tension (figured it was alright the way it came) but clearly it was too sensitive

Catching lots of falling leaves and light breezes? :lol:
Kelix
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 22 Sep 2014, 3:14 pm

Kelix wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:I didn't set the pan tension (figured it was alright the way it came) but clearly it was too sensitive

Catching lots of falling leaves and light breezes? :lol:

No - but it looks like wombats if the hair left in todays trap is anything to go by! :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Kelix » 22 Sep 2014, 9:16 pm

Hopefully the pinch on the ass will scare them off anyway.

Man those guys can dig some holes! f*** a property right up.
Kelix
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 22 Sep 2014, 9:54 pm

Kelix wrote:Hopefully the pinch on the ass will scare them off anyway.

Man those guys can dig some holes! f*** a property right up.

Bloody oath, heaps of wombat holes around this place.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by AusC » 23 Sep 2014, 11:26 am

Wombat canyons once they get going more like it.
300 Win Mag Tikka T3 Lite.
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 23 Sep 2014, 11:40 am

AusC wrote:Wombat canyons once they get going more like it.

Yeah there's a few hills around here that look like they are oversized rabbit warrens :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by vexesus » 23 Sep 2014, 2:07 pm

Wombat's are protected I guess?

Farmers not allowed to cull them if they're wrecking the place?
vexesus
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by veep » 23 Sep 2014, 2:08 pm

They're native no yes, they're protected.

Pretty sure you can get permits though? Same as Roos?
veep
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Return to Camping, fishing and outdoor recreation