How do you tell if fish are good to eat

Camping, fishing and outdoor recreational activities. Tips, equipment, accessories, hiking and outdoor cooking.

How do you tell if fish are good to eat

Post by veep » 26 Sep 2014, 2:01 pm

I wouldn't know a sick fish from a health one that I could tell?

Any tips for a new fisherman on how you tell if one's good for eating?

I got with a mate who just does catch and release so he didn't really know. I'm out the eat the buggers though :)
veep
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: How do you tell if fish are good to eat

Post by MeccaOz » 27 Sep 2014, 5:47 am

Not much of a fisherman, but give one to your mate, if he doesnt die, it should be safe .... OK Im not much a mate either, lol
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Timb0 » 27 Sep 2014, 6:34 am

What are we talking here? Radioactive fish? Or just a dose of Mt Isa lead?
Marlin XT22 .22lr, Ruger M77/22 .22wmr, Rem 7615 .223, Ruger M77 .223, Weatherby MarkV .243, Rem 700 VLS .243, Kimber Montana .270, Weatherby MarkV .270Wby mag, Rem 700 .308, Khan ATac 12ga.
Timb0
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by wrenchman » 27 Sep 2014, 6:59 am

If it bites the hook it will tend to be healthy fish that are sick won't chase bait.

Fish tend to start float on the top they will also look sick black spots or scales coming off and smell bad.
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by veep » 27 Sep 2014, 8:05 am

Timb0 wrote:What are we talking here? Radioactive fish? Or just a dose of Mt Isa lead?

Fishing in around Lake Eildon here in Vic.
veep
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Lorgar » 27 Sep 2014, 8:06 am

If they look good I just eat 'em.

No manky scales or that kind of thing.

A good dose of fire fixes most potential food issues ;)
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by AusC » 27 Sep 2014, 8:08 am

I've been fishing up that way for trout and never had a problem.

Head off, guts out and scaled... They've all had healthy looking flesh and made good eating.
300 Win Mag Tikka T3 Lite.
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Timb0 » 27 Sep 2014, 9:22 am

Veep, that looks like a nice place doubt you would have much trouble there.

I usually like to know a bit about the back ground of a place if I'm eating the fish from there. Gladstone power station's hot water outlet is a great place to catch barra but I'm not keen to eat anything out of Gladstone harbour due to the heavy metals. Plenty of people do though and they are not dead.

The photo below I took of the Ok Tedi river in PNG in 2007. It shows the rubble and dirty water that came from the Ok Tedi mine when the tailings dam gave way in 1984. BHP sold the mine to the PNG government after for $1 to try to get out of paying compensation. The government owned mine (OTML) continued to pump untreated waste down the river for many years. This waste water contains acid sulfates, heavy metals along with other dodgy chemicals.

The clean water coming in on the right is from a pristine mountain steam and is what the Ok Tedi used to be. There is some of the worlds best barra and mangrove jack fishing up there but it always pays to know whats up stream.

Bit of an extreme case but more a conversation point, after all I'm a bit of a gun toting hippie at heart.
Attachments
IMG_3695.JPG
IMG_3695.JPG (478.14 KiB) Viewed 3296 times
Marlin XT22 .22lr, Ruger M77/22 .22wmr, Rem 7615 .223, Ruger M77 .223, Weatherby MarkV .243, Rem 700 VLS .243, Kimber Montana .270, Weatherby MarkV .270Wby mag, Rem 700 .308, Khan ATac 12ga.
Timb0
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Patrol66 » 27 Sep 2014, 7:17 pm

Fish from Eildon area will be fine. Keep a look out for blue green algae outbreaks in some smaller lakes, this will be posted near boat ramps etc. Mercury can be a problem in some bays, but you would have to eat heaps every week to effect you . Mate of mine eat a carp caught at Eildon and I had a piece, wasn't to bad really
Rem 700- 223, Marlin xt 22, Rem 700 - 30-06 ( not mine , but in my safe )
Patrol66
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by VICHunter » 28 Sep 2014, 4:35 pm

Patrol66 wrote:Fish from Eildon area will be fine.

+1

I've had dozens of trout and redfin out of there. All good eating.
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Chronos » 28 Sep 2014, 7:31 pm

Timb0 wrote:Veep, that looks like a nice place doubt you would have much trouble there.

I usually like to know a bit about the back ground of a place if I'm eating the fish from there. Gladstone power station's hot water outlet is a great place to catch barra but I'm not keen to eat anything out of Gladstone harbour due to the heavy metals. Plenty of people do though and they are not dead.

The photo below I took of the Ok Tedi river in PNG in 2007. It shows the rubble and dirty water that came from the Ok Tedi mine when the tailings dam gave way in 1984. BHP sold the mine to the PNG government after for $1 to try to get out of paying compensation. The government owned mine (OTML) continued to pump untreated waste down the river for many years. This waste water contains acid sulfates, heavy metals along with other dodgy chemicals.

The clean water coming in on the right is from a pristine mountain steam and is what the Ok Tedi used to be. There is some of the worlds best barra and mangrove jack fishing up there but it always pays to know whats up stream.

Bit of an extreme case but more a conversation point, after all I'm a bit of a gun toting hippie at heart.

Hey timb0, it's been a while since i've seen the view from that bridge in Tabubil. I was there for 3 months in 2009 for work (I was based in PoM)

don't suppose you manager to down a beer or two in the HASH bar?

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Timb0 » 28 Sep 2014, 8:05 pm

I had a few big nights there Chonos!

I almost would have been there in mid 2009, but I was more of a Tabubil golf club kind of guy.

That photo was actually taken a few Km's down stream from the bridge, I was trying to take a photo of a fresh water crocodile. As you probably know the river looks the same for a very long way!
Timb0
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Chronos » 28 Sep 2014, 8:20 pm

I left in April 2009, we installed do VIP dongas in town, we also built the the airport terminal building. i designed everything and had it cut and shipped up then the guy i worked with flew a crew up to erect it

i ate at the golf club most fridays for 3 months i was there, just lucky the take away beer kicked in when i arrived otherwise i would have gone a bit crazy LOL

on topic i agree with a few others here, if the enviroment is safe and the fish looks healthy there's little chance of it being bad to eat. unless it's carp or red rock cod and then it's always bad to eat. if in doubt ask a local :lol:

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by lapp » 29 Sep 2014, 11:02 am

Carp - Ok to eat, just bad to taste!
lapp
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland