Acrobatic Mini Paddock Pizza's (pic heavy)

Camping, fishing and outdoor recreational activities. Tips, equipment, accessories, hiking and outdoor cooking.

Acrobatic Mini Paddock Pizza's (pic heavy)

Post by bigfellascott » 04 Oct 2014, 5:30 am

Well yesterday I decided I'd go for a poke around to see if I could find any "Mini Paddock Pizza's" - a quick phone call saw me on my way, with all the kit packed I was off around 8am for the short 15-20min drive to one of my favourite places to shoot.

After a quick chat with the owner I was off up over the hill to where the rabbits usually are. It didn't take long before I spotted the first few victims, I quickly got the rifle ready and got my self into position on top of a small hill overlooking some blackberry bushes that lined a small creek.

I got the bino's out and started glassing to see how many I could see (thank fark for binos) I'd have missed a heap of em I reckon without em. I wasn't long before I spotted a few pairs of "Radar Dishes" hiding in some long grass (well anything over a inch or so was good enough to make em hard to see the little buggers were that small! :rofl: some of em were just about Palm sized they were that small! :facepalm:

Anyway I lined up on the first one and sent one on its way - well FMD it just disappeared, I'm like where the fark did that go, one second it was there the next it was gone! :ohwell: Looked llike a Hand Grenade went off! :facepalm: Anyway I cleaned up 4 there from memory, I couldn't find one, only some tufts of hair were all that remained of it (I'd say it landed in the blackberries somewhere I wasn't going in there to find the bastard.

I found what left of it here!

Man don't these little bunnies fly through the air when they get hit with the 204! I had some of em launching around 3 or 4m at times and blood splatter in spots of around 8m away! :rofl:

Anyway I found what was left of the first lot, took some pics then decided to move to another spot not far away and got the bino's out and started glassing the edges of some more blackberries, it didn't take long before I spotted a few more :boogie:

This time I got the sandbags out and set them up on the bonnet of the BT, once I'd got all set up I lined up on another fella hiding in the shadows under some blackberries, I lined him up and sent one on its way - that resounding WHACK type sound confirmed a good solid hit, I scanned around again and spotted a tiny little bugger sitting near what looked like a warren so lined it up and WHACK and this one flew through the air too :facepalm:, I continued to scan around and found another one (nice ginger looking one) lined it up and sent one on its way, this one hit a bit low but still managed to launch it up in the air only to see it disappear into some blackberries near by :ohwell:

Anyway after another scan and none willing to come out I decided to move again, sure enough I've packed the kit away and went to get back in the car and I scared one not more than 4m away from em :rofl: :facepalm: here I am trying to hit em at 200m or so and the bloody things are literally under my feet.

He's hard to see but hes in the LHS top quarter where the 2 heavy bars intersect if you know what I mean?

I moved up the hill and spotted another one willing to run the Gauntlet, I lined this one up off the mirror and sent one on its way.

Anyway I decided to go down into the basin and see what was happening down there, I decided to pull up and glass the blackberries and it didn't take too long before I spotted a few, so I set up the sandbag etc and got ready for a bit more carnage.

I shot a few here but because the hill was so steep and my knees not being up to doing hills anymore (certainly not like that anyway) I could only retrieve a couple that were down low on it.

I then headed off to have a look around another warren I knew of but nothing was seen there so though I'd call it a day and started heading off then spotted these 2 sunning themselves.

So got everything set up again and nek minute

Anyway that was my day out on the Acrobatic Mini Paddock Pizza's. :facepalm:

I also spotted the farmer of another property I have access too next door and I'm heading out there hopefully next week some time (depending on the weather) hopefully there will be some more bunny carnage to come! ;)

cheers
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Re: Acrobatic Mini Paddock Pizza's (pic heavy)

Post by MeccaOz » 04 Oct 2014, 7:21 am

LOL I hope they werent eaters. Looks like a top day out mate :)
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 04 Oct 2014, 7:39 am

No eaters there for this black duck! Plenty for the Raptors and other Scavengers but. Chronos is gunna give me heaps when he see's these! :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Baronvonrort » 04 Oct 2014, 2:39 pm

Looks like quick humane kills to me.
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 04 Oct 2014, 3:04 pm

Geeez Scott,
Didn't you wipe the mothers milk off their chin before you tenderized em ?????????

Looks nice and green there though mate.
:D
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Bennybigbores » 04 Oct 2014, 3:09 pm

Thems is some nasty explosive projectiles, could not have made that mess point blank with both barrels on the shotty!
Howa axiom varmint .243
C.Gustav 6.5x55 (sporterised)
Savage mkII T.hole varmint 17hmr
Chiappa lever action 12g
Baikal S.Shot .308
Mossberg plinkster .22
Norinco lever .22
E.T.C
Bennybigbores
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 04 Oct 2014, 3:24 pm

Baronvonrort wrote:Looks like quick humane kills to me.

Not one of em complained :D they all flew threw the air fairly well. :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 04 Oct 2014, 3:26 pm

Die Judicii wrote:Geeez Scott,
Didn't you wipe the mothers milk off their chin before you tenderized em ?????????

Looks nice and green there though mate.
:D

They had a short but good life :D Certainly is a pretty property to play on, later on in the year it will brown off no doubt.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 04 Oct 2014, 3:30 pm

Bennybigbores wrote:Thems is some nasty explosive projectiles, could not have made that mess point blank with both barrels on the shotty!

The 39 SBK's go alright for this sort of thing, I've got some 26gn Barnes VG's to run in the Howa too, they should be very explosive travelling at around 4200fps Plus!

The THUD those 39's make is pretty impressive! :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Combat_Wombat » 05 Oct 2014, 4:49 pm

Off topic but I'm going to order a .204 Howa in the next two weeks

Do you think it needs a varmint barrel or is a sporter enough?
Remington 700 CDL .270
Rossi M92 44mag
CZ 452 deluxe .22LR
Howa 1500 .204
Savage FVSR 22
Combat_Wombat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Chronos » 05 Oct 2014, 5:05 pm

bigfellascott wrote:No eaters there for this black duck! Plenty for the Raptors and other Scavengers but. Chronos is gunna give me heaps when he see's these! :lol:

Err...why?

nothing there that bothers me apart from being jealous i'm stuck in sydney doing landscaping over a 30deg long weekend :lol:

as long as you weren't planning to make a hat out of them ;)

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 05 Oct 2014, 10:08 pm

Combat_Wombat wrote:Off topic but I'm going to order a .204 Howa in the next two weeks

I can't say one way or the other to be honest mate, not sure how the Sporter versions shoot, but would imagine they would be fine for varminting type work, hopefully someone who has one might chime in and let us know how they shoot.

I like the Varmint version as it helps keep the muzzle jump etc down so you can see the action so to speak, not sure how the sporters would go in that regard being lighter.

I don't walk around with it much so weight isn't something I consider important but if you're going to do so maybe the sporter would be more appropriate.

cheers
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 05 Oct 2014, 10:12 pm

Chronos wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:No eaters there for this black duck! Plenty for the Raptors and other Scavengers but. Chronos is gunna give me heaps when he see's these! :lol:

Err...why?

nothing there that bothers me apart from being jealous i'm stuck in sydney doing landscaping over a 30deg long weekend :lol:

as long as you weren't planning to make a hat out of them ;)

Chronos

Err because I didn't want any to eat this trip and if I did I'd shoot em with the 22 not the 204, Not real interested in eating bruised and bloodied meat and that generally happens with the 204 even if they are shot in the head, the front half is usually a right off. And I doubt you'd get much meat of 99% of that lot as there was nothing too em before I shot em and a hell of a lot less after :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Combat_Wombat » 05 Oct 2014, 10:28 pm

I was under the impression that you had a sporter with that boyds stock. Does the varmint barre fit into the sporter models or did you have to modify it?
Remington 700 CDL .270
Rossi M92 44mag
CZ 452 deluxe .22LR
Howa 1500 .204
Savage FVSR 22
Combat_Wombat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 05 Oct 2014, 11:20 pm

Combat_Wombat wrote:I was under the impression that you had a sporter with that boyds stock. Does the varmint barre fit into the sporter models or did you have to modify it?

I bought the rifle 2nd hand so it came that way but yes you can sand the barrel channel to make them fit (the right size Socket wrapped in sandpaper does the job quickly)

Cheers
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Die Judicii » 06 Oct 2014, 1:54 am

bigfellascott wrote:
Combat_Wombat wrote:I was under the impression that you had a sporter with that boyds stock. Does the varmint barre fit into the sporter models or did you have to modify it?

I bought the rifle 2nd hand so it came that way but yes you can sand the barrel channel to make them fit (the right size Socket wrapped in sandpaper does the job quickly)

Cheers

F#*k the sockets with sandpaper, they're too hard to hold, and do the job easily.

When I've wanted to bed and float a rifle, I looked in Bunnings or similar for an el cheapo broom, hoe, mop etc.
The handles always vary in diameter, so there's a good chance of getting just the right size for your rifle.
Cut the handle so you've got approx. 2/3 of the length of the barrel channel, plus an extra 6" to act as your "new tool" handle.
Get the desired grit sand paper, and glue it on.

Then, when you clamp the stock, it is so easy to do it and at the same time knowing that it is going to be dead straight.
I have made two of these, which I keep, and have found they have been just right for all of the ones that I have done so far.
Attachments
100_3588.JPG
100_3588.JPG (407.8 KiB) Viewed 6844 times
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 06 Oct 2014, 6:10 am

Die Judicii wrote:F#*k the sockets with sandpaper, they're too hard to hold, and do the job easily.

When I've wanted to bed and float a rifle, I looked in Bunnings or similar for an el cheapo broom, hoe, mop etc.
The handles always vary in diameter, so there's a good chance of getting just the right size for your rifle.
Cut the handle so you've got approx. 2/3 of the length of the barrel channel, plus an extra 6" to act as your "new tool" handle.
Get the desired grit sand paper, and glue it on.

Then, when you clamp the stock, it is so easy to do it and at the same time knowing that it is going to be dead straight.
I have made two of these, which I keep, and have found they have been just right for all of the ones that I have done so far.

Yeah lots of things you can use, all you need is something bigger than the diameter of the barrel and your good to go, I find the sockets to be easy to use and I can get em in lots of diff diameters too.

The Boyds stocks are easy to sand too which is nice. I use a real coarse paper to start with then switch to a finer one for the final finish, then just real seal the channel with whatever clean finish I have around at the time.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by harris » 06 Oct 2014, 11:06 am

WTF is with the last rabbit?

Looks like a rabbit head and bum stuck on a stick :lol:
Guns don’t kill people, husbands who come home early from work kill people
harris
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Usurper » 06 Oct 2014, 11:07 am

Some beaut country you're on there Scott.

Jealous.
.308 CZ 550 American
.222 Tikka Varmint
.357 Mag Marlin 1894
Usurper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 06 Oct 2014, 1:07 pm

harris wrote:WTF is with the last rabbit?

Looks like a rabbit head and bum stuck on a stick :lol:

Skinned, gutted and cleaned in the one hit! :lol: It does look somewhat weird hey. :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 06 Oct 2014, 1:09 pm

Usurper wrote:Some beaut country you're on there Scott.

Jealous.

Yes mate, she's very pretty at the moment - we've been lucky enough to get some good rain which is helping to maintain it.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Gwion » 06 Oct 2014, 1:38 pm

Combat_Wombat wrote:Off topic but I'm going to order a .204 Howa in the next two weeks

After seeing more of the BigFella's bunny busting, i got inspired by the possibility of a 204 howa myself. Two online gun shops list it only available in Sporter weight.

Would be glad to hear if you can still get them in varmint barreled action.

Cheers
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Combat_Wombat » 06 Oct 2014, 4:50 pm

Gwion I've seen them advertised in Brisbane and my LGS can get them in but there might be a shortage recently elsewhere
Remington 700 CDL .270
Rossi M92 44mag
CZ 452 deluxe .22LR
Howa 1500 .204
Savage FVSR 22
Combat_Wombat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 06 Oct 2014, 5:40 pm

Ok. Cheers CW.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by bigfellascott » 06 Oct 2014, 6:16 pm

Gwion wrote:

After seeing more of the BigFella's bunny busting, i got inspired by the possibility of a 204 howa myself. Two online gun shops list it only available in Sporter weight.

Would be glad to hear if you can still get them in varmint barreled action.

Cheers

They'd be still available G, I'd get onto your LGS and get the to order one in or even better still get em to order a Barreled Action and buy an aftermarket stock for it.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Gwion » 06 Oct 2014, 6:23 pm

My thoughts exactly. Barreled action, shorten barrel to 20", bed it into a Boyd's lefty stock.

If i go the 204 route, i might look for it available in a lefty action, though. Would make a handy rig for pinging vermin at the pack fence from a rocking chair next to the vegie patch! :lol: :D

Cheers
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Combat_Wombat » 06 Oct 2014, 6:26 pm

Just bought the boyds stock in pepper grey and a redfield battlezone 6-18

Barrelled action is coming with next weeks paycheck!
Remington 700 CDL .270
Rossi M92 44mag
CZ 452 deluxe .22LR
Howa 1500 .204
Savage FVSR 22
Combat_Wombat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 06 Oct 2014, 6:38 pm

Combat_Wombat wrote:Just bought the boyds stock in pepper grey and a redfield battlezone 6-18

Barrelled action is coming with next weeks paycheck!

Whoo! nice one mate - I take it a 204? what Boyds did you end up getting?
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Combat_Wombat » 06 Oct 2014, 7:22 pm

Yeah 204 for sure! And just the standard stock. Would like a thumbhole but I shoot right handed rifles off the left shoulder so that's a no go
Remington 700 CDL .270
Rossi M92 44mag
CZ 452 deluxe .22LR
Howa 1500 .204
Savage FVSR 22
Combat_Wombat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by inspector » 08 Oct 2014, 12:55 pm

Funny shooting position Combat_Wombat?

That a left eye dominant thing or something?
inspector
Private
Private

Victoria

Next

Return to Camping, fishing and outdoor recreation