Dog lost to snake bite

Camping, fishing and outdoor recreational activities. Tips, equipment, accessories, hiking and outdoor cooking.

Dog lost to snake bite

Post by Lorgar » 09 Nov 2014, 11:58 am

Speak of the devil as this was getting talked about a couple of weeks ago.

Thank god it wasn't mine... Speaking with one of the locals at the dog park today, he has (had) two Bull Arab cross Great Danes. The smaller had a bit of Leopard Dog in him too, he's the one that got bitten. Raz. Great dog, good natured and well trained.

He had them out bush on Thursday and all seemed fine. Got them in the truck to go and wasn't until hours later they noticed funny behaviour from Raz.

An hour later his body went out from under him and all he could move was his head. Foaming and coughing and all the rest.

Rushed him to the vet who figured it out, did the anti-venoms and whatever they do but it was too late. Lost him to it :(

So it's heating up and they're coming out... Be careful all.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Re: Dog lost to snake bite

Post by Chronos » 09 Nov 2014, 12:34 pm

Sad news, are they sure it was snake bite? Sounds similar to the effects of tick bite but I guess both venoms has a similar affect on the nervous system.

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 09 Nov 2014, 12:46 pm

A young fella died recently from a Tiger Snake bite - they are indeed about, the wife had to dodge one on the road last week. I might have to get a compression bandage and keep it in the ute just in case.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Chronos » 09 Nov 2014, 1:51 pm

Yeah we restocked our first aid this year and bought 2 compression bandages, they were about $10 each but well worth it I reckon.

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 09 Nov 2014, 1:56 pm

It certainly can't hurt to have em hey mate, better than wishing you had em if something went wrong.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Jack V » 09 Nov 2014, 3:27 pm

Does not sound like snake bite to me took too long to show symptoms . Sounds like poisoning .
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Westy » 09 Nov 2014, 3:47 pm

bigfellascott wrote:A young fella died recently from a Tiger Snake bite - they are indeed about, the wife had to dodge one on the road last week. I might have to get a compression bandage and keep it in the ute just in case.

I keep one in the day pack when out hunting!!! Had a monster 2.5 plus metres of a carpet snake harassing my daughters Guinea pig on Friday night after some gentle persuasion he moved on. Women they wake you up at 10-00pm to tell you there's snake on the hutch and fix it now!!!!!! :? :shock: :?
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Lorgar » 09 Nov 2014, 4:07 pm

Chronos wrote:Sad news, are they sure it was snake bite? Sounds similar to the effects of tick bite but I guess both venoms has a similar affect on the nervous system.

I've shared the story as it was told to me and they've said snake bite. The guys wife is a veterinary nurse of some sort her self so I guess she's in a good position to say.

I didn't push for confirmation etc. obviously.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Lorgar » 09 Nov 2014, 4:08 pm

Jack V wrote:Does not sound like snake bite to me took too long to show symptoms . Sounds like poisoning .

Two dogs as I said, always together, fed the same, same environment blah blah blah.

Now sure how one would get poisoned if the other didn't.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Aussier » 09 Nov 2014, 4:09 pm

bigfellascott wrote:It certainly can't hurt to have em hey mate, better than wishing you had em if something went wrong.

First aid's the one area just about everyone slacks off in I reckon.
Aussier
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Chronos » 09 Nov 2014, 4:17 pm

Lorgar wrote:I've shared the story as it was told to me and they've said snake bite. The guys wife is a veterinary nurse of some sort her self so I guess she's in a good position to say.

I didn't push for confirmation etc. obviously.

Yeah I understand mate just my own curiosity.

Like I said, it's sad. I'd hate for one of our dogs to get hit.

Chronos.
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 09 Nov 2014, 4:57 pm

So sorry to hear of that loss.
Pass it on (from forum members in general ??) to the owner/s

A simple but effective precaution we can all take, is dont take dogs into high risk snake areas during snake season.

I have lost a foxie and a dobermann in the past to tiger snakes, and I understand how the owners feel.

My Jack Russell / Foxie cross recently pictured on Off Topic, has been bitten 3 times.
The first two times were Copperheads, and the last time was a Tiger snake.
Luckily she was saved each time, but the Tiger really took its toll.
Took her 3 - 4 months to come good. (the lights were on but no-one was home)

Then all of a sudden one day, she was back with a new lease of life.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 09 Nov 2014, 8:26 pm

Caught a 1/2 mtr tiger snake in the back yard a few days ago with a rubbish bin and a garden stake. Let him go down near the local creek. :D
A much safer hunting ground for all. :lol:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 09 Nov 2014, 11:46 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Caught a 1/2 mtr tiger snake in the back yard a few days ago with a rubbish bin and a garden stake. Let him go down near the local creek. :D
A much safer hunting ground for all. :lol:

If I'd caught it with a rubbish bin and a garden stake, and then let go,,, I'm sure it wouldve been wearing the garden stake like a piece of jewellery.
:D :D
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Kelix » 10 Nov 2014, 9:30 am

Die Judicii wrote:Took her 3 - 4 months to come good. (the lights were on but no-one was home)

Then all of a sudden one day, she was back with a new lease of life.

At least you got her back after the 4 months.

A long road but could have been worse.
Kelix
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Jack V » 10 Nov 2014, 12:18 pm

Lorgar wrote:Two dogs as I said, always together, fed the same, same environment blah blah blah.

Now sure how one would get poisoned if the other didn't.

" He had them out bush on Thursday and all seemed fine. Got them in the truck to go and wasn't until hours later they noticed funny behaviour from Raz"

Do you think it's not possible for one dog to pick up one bate ? When a snake bites an animal like a dog that continues to run around pumping blood quickly to the heart and brain it don't take all day to show signs of envenomation .

It just don't sound like typical snake bite . Wild dogs will sometimes carry poisoned bate back to their dens but after holding it in their mouths for a while detect that it is bad and drop it . This can put a poison bate miles away from where it was laid.

It could be snake bite but the two snake bites I have seen showed signs while still in the bush within maybe an hour or so of the bite. One I was not sure when the bite happened exactly but the other I saw the snake strike . Vets say it is possible for snake bite to take 1 to 6 hours to show symptoms but I have never seen one take 6 hours on an untreated dog .
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Lorgar » 10 Nov 2014, 2:25 pm

I dunno mate, I'm just passing along the story as I've been told it.

His wife works at a vet, they took Raz to a vet, that's what they came up with.

I'd hardly know better to contradict their explanation.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Khan » 10 Nov 2014, 2:27 pm

It's heart breaking stuff :(
44 Rem. Magnum Marlin Model 1894
.280 Rem. Browning X-Bolt Hunter
Khan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Jack V » 10 Nov 2014, 6:45 pm

Lorgar wrote:I dunno mate, I'm just passing along the story as I've been told it.

His wife works at a vet, they took Raz to a vet, that's what they came up with.

I'd hardly know better to contradict their explanation.

Fair enough, How it happened does not change anything for the better.

If you're in the field and you suspect poisoning shove a few crystals of washing soda down the dogs throat and see if you can get it to vomit. Salt on the back of the tongue can sometimes do it also. Also if it's 1080 poison that dog vomit is also highly poisonous so bury it. If you suspect snake bite, immobilise the dog and carry it back to the car don't make it walk as that kills it quicker.

If you hold it in the water of a dam or creek for the rest of the day they sometimes survive. Some people say an injection of vitamin C helps but I can't confirm that. However I have found that most dogs that survive a proper snake bite are not as good after that.
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 10 Nov 2014, 9:09 pm

Good advice tyre about the salts. we carry a vile of Epsom salts for the same reason as it's something we read during researching a first aid kit for our dogs

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Jack V » 11 Nov 2014, 8:09 am

Yeah it could save your dogs life if you do it quickly enough. The problem with pig dogs is they are away from you in the bush so much that you don't know what they may have eaten. Being able to recognise quick enough that the dog is suffering is always a problem in the bush.

I have seen working cattle dogs, suddenly drop from snake bite and you could not really tell they were ill before that.

Sometimes no matter how well prepared you are tragedy can still strike.
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by AusC » 11 Nov 2014, 9:17 am

Bugger mate :(

Pass along the condolences if they'd appreciate them.
300 Win Mag Tikka T3 Lite.
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Return to Camping, fishing and outdoor recreation