Dog lost to snake bite

Camping, fishing and outdoor recreational activities. Tips, equipment, accessories, hiking and outdoor cooking.

Re: Dog lost to snake bite

Post by Jack V » 10 Nov 2014, 6:45 pm

Lorgar wrote:I dunno mate, I'm just passing along the story as I've been told it.

His wife works at a vet, they took Raz to a vet, that's what they came up with.

I'd hardly know better to contradict their explanation.

Fair enough, How it happened does not change anything for the better.

If you're in the field and you suspect poisoning shove a few crystals of washing soda down the dogs throat and see if you can get it to vomit. Salt on the back of the tongue can sometimes do it also. Also if it's 1080 poison that dog vomit is also highly poisonous so bury it. If you suspect snake bite, immobilise the dog and carry it back to the car don't make it walk as that kills it quicker.

If you hold it in the water of a dam or creek for the rest of the day they sometimes survive. Some people say an injection of vitamin C helps but I can't confirm that. However I have found that most dogs that survive a proper snake bite are not as good after that.
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 10 Nov 2014, 9:09 pm

Good advice tyre about the salts. we carry a vile of Epsom salts for the same reason as it's something we read during researching a first aid kit for our dogs

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Jack V » 11 Nov 2014, 8:09 am

Yeah it could save your dogs life if you do it quickly enough. The problem with pig dogs is they are away from you in the bush so much that you don't know what they may have eaten. Being able to recognise quick enough that the dog is suffering is always a problem in the bush.

I have seen working cattle dogs, suddenly drop from snake bite and you could not really tell they were ill before that.

Sometimes no matter how well prepared you are tragedy can still strike.
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by AusC » 11 Nov 2014, 9:17 am

Bugger mate :(

Pass along the condolences if they'd appreciate them.
300 Win Mag Tikka T3 Lite.
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Return to Camping, fishing and outdoor recreation