Favourite offal - Ox tongue

Camping, fishing and outdoor recreational activities. Tips, equipment, accessories, hiking and outdoor cooking.

Re: Favourite offal - Ox tongue

Post by 1290 » 28 Nov 2014, 1:36 pm

Warrigul wrote:No but I do have a South African marked P13 with a bore far less than .303...

Wasn't the pattern 13 the 276... that never was?
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by schink » 28 Nov 2014, 1:49 pm

Old Fart wrote:I just like the look on peoples faces. "Lambs Fry" sounds great to everyone... And then you tell them what it is :lol:

"Lamb's fry is lamb offal served as food, including the testicles, liver, sweetbreads, heart, kidneys, and sometimes the brain and abdominal fat—or some combination of these."

You lost me at testicles :lol:
schink
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 28 Nov 2014, 2:03 pm

schink wrote:
Old Fart wrote:I just like the look on peoples faces. "Lambs Fry" sounds great to everyone... And then you tell them what it is :lol:

"Lamb's fry is lamb offal served as food, including the testicles, liver, sweetbreads, heart, kidneys, and sometimes the brain and abdominal fat—or some combination of these."

You lost me at testicles :lol:

Not many sheep sold as lambs have testicles... they are gone with the tail. You must be referring to Rams fry... I'd give that a go :lol:

I've had bovine nuts before, cooked fresh on the branding iron fire , blody lovley !
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Warrigul » 28 Nov 2014, 5:44 pm

1290 wrote:
Warrigul wrote:No but I do have a South African marked P13 with a bore far less than .303...

Wasn't the pattern 13 the 276... that never was?

They trialled about a thousand(I think), I know how this one made its way across. It is quite a story how I got it, it was sent over in a container filled with the personal effects belonging to a skilled migrant in the 1980's, he subsequentially sold all his fierarms to a dealer who sold this particular one to a local. We were all having a beer in the 1990's and on seeing some of my firearms he mentioned selling a few of his grandfathers WW1 firearms to a certain dealer. When I went and asked who bought such and such's .303 and pump action 44/40(that is another story again and I wish I could track that down) it was a bloke I knew of. He subsequentially had never tried to fire it as it wouldn't chamber a .303 or .30/06 and it was just hanging around, so I bought it(at that time for $200 which was a hideous price for a .303- i was sure it was something simple why it wouldn't chamber, it wasn't) but still didn't know what it was for another decade.

I bought mine as a P14 that wasn't quite right, ironically I still haven't found a P14 I am happy with- yet.

A bloke down here has made a set of dies and converted a P14 but it is nothing fantastic as far as cartridges go and I think that is probably 50% of the reason why they stayed with the .303. It is curiosity value only.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by 1290 » 28 Nov 2014, 5:55 pm

Great story...piece of history, you didnt buy it, you stole it :lol:
its a keeper, not a shooter start a thread with the story with pics!! the enfield enthusiasts will appreciate!
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Warrigul » 28 Nov 2014, 8:31 pm

1290 wrote:Great story...piece of history, you didnt buy it, you stole it :lol:
its a keeper, not a shooter start a thread with the story with pics!! the enfield enthusiasts will appreciate!

I may do that, this is not really a collectors forum though.

An expert rubbished it the first time I put it online on a noted overseas collectors forum but we confirmed that it was original still by taking a chamber cast.

It has been well received at a couple of show and tells and soon may be lent on a long term basis to a museum, I am waiting for paperwork to be tidied up first and I want an agreed insurance value(which apparently is a hurdle as the person who originally valued it has passed on- and is sorely missed). But I will stop messing up this thread for now.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by on_one_wheel » 28 Nov 2014, 8:41 pm

I'd like to see a smle thread warrigul, one day I will buy a .303 but I've done very little homework.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 29 Nov 2014, 11:53 am

My wife assures me you peel the ox tongue after it has been cooked. Very easy then. She used to cook it the same as corned beef & tasted a lot like it. Her father loved them. Black pudding (pigs blood sausage) great fried with eggs on toast.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by tom604 » 29 Nov 2014, 12:26 pm

black pudding,,,,,mmmmmm that and scotch sausage with a couple of eggs,,lovely ;) may have to have that for breaky tomorrow 8-)
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by 1290 » 29 Nov 2014, 1:23 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:I'd like to see a smle thread warrigul, one day I will buy a .303 but I've done very little homework.

It's more a Mauser than an SMLE. ..

Yeah ox tongue.... never tried it (keeping on thread)
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by 1290 » 29 Nov 2014, 6:05 pm

Warrigul wrote:
1290 wrote:Great story...piece of history, you didnt buy it, you stole it :lol:

I may do that, this is not really a collectors forum though.

An expert rubbished it the first time I put it online on a noted overseas collectors forum but we confirmed that it was original still by taking a chamber cast.

It has been well received at a couple of show and tells and soon may be lent on a long term basis to a museum, I am waiting for paperwork to be tidied up first and I want an agreed insurance value(which apparently is a hurdle as the person who originally valued it has passed on- and is sorely missed). But I will stop messing up this thread for now.

Not a collectors forum?? Well then maybe we need a new section "old stuff"!! [mods!]

anyhoo, pay attention Warrigul....

edit to add; what I meant by pay attention was to the thread I started for you to populate.... its had more hits than many other threads, give the people what they want!!
Last edited by 1290 on 02 Dec 2014, 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by greyghost » 02 Dec 2014, 8:54 am

I know it's good to not waste any of an animal and kudos to those who don't but I'll have to stick with the meat.

Can't do the offal :|
Browning BLR .223
Sako 98 .270
greyghost
Private
Private

Queensland

Return to Camping, fishing and outdoor recreation