What's your camping kit?

Camping, fishing and outdoor recreational activities. Tips, equipment, accessories, hiking and outdoor cooking.

What's your camping kit?

Post by whert » 13 Oct 2013, 12:44 pm

Hi guys,

Just wondering what everyone finds best for their camping kit?

Tent? Swag? Hammock?

I've been using an hold hand me down tent for too long and it's time to ditch it for a proper kit.

Cheers all.
Weatherby Vanguard S2 .270 Winchester
Mossberg M464 30-30
Gamo Maxima .177
whert
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: What's your camping kit?

Post by Lorgar » 13 Oct 2013, 2:30 pm

Tent, blow up mattress and sleeping bags.

Too cold here in VIC in the colder months for a hammock or to lay on the ground for me.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Oldboy 7mm Dakota » 13 Oct 2013, 3:20 pm

I am with Lorgar. Tent, Good mattress and top sleeping bag as it cold down here in Tassie in the summer nights in the Midlands.
And a tent that you can stand up in when possible. Small but good hiking tent when going for that long stroll.
Oldboy 7mm Dakota
Oldboy 7mm Dakota
Private
Private

Tasmania

Post by Phaine » 13 Oct 2013, 5:43 pm

My partner and I have a Roman 4 man tent.

Comfortably fits both of us and all our gear inside with room to move.

Black wolf sleeping bags, a blow up mattress and a little 4 D battery air pump to blow it up.

Gotta have the mattress, I learnt that the hard way after a few exhausting nights trying to sleep on ground.
Phaine
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Warrigul » 13 Oct 2013, 7:54 pm

Canvas camper trailer, sort of off road capable, fitted with a diesel heater for Tasmanian conditions as most of our available time isn't in peak summer.

It also has an identical queen mattress to the one we have at home so I can sleep well.

Camper from Campers Delight in Deloraine, trailer by me.

If I am roughing it then it is under the canvas canopy on the back of the Hilux , in a swag or my Terka tent(we have camped in the snow three times in the terka and still enjoyed ourselves).

Lightweight it is a cyclists tent and sleeping bag. I have never been for more than a five day bushwalk though and limit myself to overnighters nowadays.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Oldboy 7mm Dakota » 13 Oct 2013, 8:14 pm

Warrigul What do you use as a fart sack as I am in the market for a good 1 as now that I am on the blood thinners I notice the cold a bit more than before.
Have brought 2 new ones that are suppose to be -10 and they are not as good as they say, and they are not cheep ones.
Oldboy 7mm Dakota
Oldboy 7mm Dakota
Private
Private

Tasmania

Post by riggee » 13 Oct 2013, 9:01 pm

Oldboy 7mm Dakota wrote:Have brought 2 new ones that are suppose to be -10 and they are not as good as they say, and they are not cheap ones.

The ratings they give bags is always such BS.

If it's rated for -10 that seems to be you won't freeze to death. Doesn't say anything about not being cold and miserable...
Remington 700 Milspec 5R .300 Win Mag
Mossberg 640 KD .22 WMR
riggee
Private
Private

Tasmania

Post by Warrigul » 14 Oct 2013, 10:27 am

Oldboy 7mm Dakota wrote:Warrigul What do you use as a fart sack as I am in the market for a good 1 as now that I am on the blood thinners I notice the cold a bit more than before.
Have brought 2 new ones that are suppose to be -10 and they are not as good as they say, and they are not cheep ones.
Oldboy 7mm Dakota

I can't really recommend a sleeping bag,

Walking or light I use a s**ty old Berghaus branded ex british army one that I was given twenty odd years ago, if it is cold I will wear gear to bed (I am also a fan of the balaclava and longjohns)and use a XXXL sized polar fleece dressing gown underneath and over the top, it doubles as a warm coat. Sleeping on a foam mat with a slight hip hole makes a difference you probably need as much insulation under as on top.

Sounds very rough but it is very light, compresses up well and works, I am not very pretty in the scrub.

In the camper trailer or the big terka where weight or transport isn't an issue I use king size doonas and normal bedclothes, I hate sleeping bags.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Herdsman » 14 Oct 2013, 10:46 am

Warrigul wrote:I am also a fan of the balaclava and longjohns

A good union suit works wonders for keeping you warmer.
Shepherding bullets down range.

Tikka Hunter Stainless Fluted 300 Win Mag
Tikka Battue Lite .308 Win
Tikka Varmint Stainless .222 Rem
Herdsman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by oohsam » 14 Oct 2013, 1:58 pm

This is my current camping kit.

Swag
Sleeping bag & Egyptian Cotton blanket (keeps ya bloody warm)
6x4 Canvas & canvas poles
Camping Chair (gotta get a good one)
4kg mini gas bottle & 2 burner stove
Ice Box
Foldable Pantry and Table
Small BBQ to cook the snags and chops on
Some utensils
And a good knife <<<

I'm always very warm in the swag, sometimes too hot, even in real cold conditions. I've converted alot of the boys we go camping with to swags. Takes minutes to setup and pack up. Once you get over the claustraphobia its a great nights sleep.
The canvas I use, is just to create a virtual space, where I setup the kitchen and was area, and its also been used as a refuge for rain. We've all sat under there playing cards and eating while we wait for the rain to clear. It's saved us a few times now.

All that stuff fits into my little suziki, plus food, and clothes and I'm sorted for a weekend.
I love setting up camp. Really enjoy getting it right.
http://gunhunter.com.au
Email alerts for used guns, Get an email when a gun/rifle you're looking for is listed. Instantly.
oohsam
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by ebr love » 14 Oct 2013, 2:55 pm

oohsam wrote:...Egyptian Cotton blanket...

Somebody's fancy :lol:
TIKKA T3 TAC .300 WIN MAG
HOW SPORTER 270 WIN
HOWA YOUTH .204 RUGER
MARLIN 1889 .38-40
ebr love
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by oohsam » 14 Oct 2013, 3:00 pm

ebr love wrote:
oohsam wrote:...Egyptian Cotton blanket...

Somebody's fancy :lol:

Hey!
I'm Egyptian, its part of my heritage to camp in an Egyptian cotton blanket! lol
http://gunhunter.com.au
Email alerts for used guns, Get an email when a gun/rifle you're looking for is listed. Instantly.
oohsam
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Lorgar » 14 Oct 2013, 4:51 pm

When I go camping I'm lost if I don't have my 2000 thread silk sheets and quilt ensemble.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Don10 » 14 Oct 2013, 5:46 pm

well there is an old saying I once said to a Brigade Major. "any fool can be uncomfortable Sir" The reply "pull that bloody swag down now and your on night duty for next 3 nights". Having said that I know I am right - any fool can be uncomfortable. I pack for conditions. If it is me and the missus its the caravan. If its me and the dog and the quad well the swag gets a ride. if it is me and "shank's pony" it is my pack with bivie bag, softie 3 sleeping bag and a thermarest.

You can get small swags nowadays that use a thermarest for the mattress and roll up nice and small mainly designed for bikers. I said bikers cos I think it might be illegal to say the word bikie in QLD nowadays, well if there is more than three of you listening in at the time anyway.
"Australian troops had, at Milne Bay, inflicted on the Japanese their first undoubted defeat on land. Some of us may forget that, of all the allies, it was the Australians who first broke the invincibility of the Japanese army. — Field Marsh Slim.
Don10
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by inspector » 14 Oct 2013, 9:21 pm

Don10 wrote:I said bikers cos I think it might be illegal to say the word bikie in QLD nowadays, well if there is more than three of you listening in at the time anyway.

"Powered cycle enthusiasts" from now on then?
inspector
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by roob » 14 Oct 2013, 9:25 pm

Don10 wrote:If it is me and "shank's pony"...

The what now?
7mm-08 Tikka T3 Varmint and a .22-250 Tikka T3 Varmint
roob
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Lorgar » 14 Oct 2013, 9:26 pm

roob wrote:The what now?

It means your legs :P
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Varmtr » 13 Dec 2013, 8:37 pm

Swag, ghillie kettle cooking kit, canvas tarp, chair, 50lt modified waeco fridge, slr bayonet, leatherman and thats about it oh shovel and bog roll.
Varmtr
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Baldrick314 » 14 Dec 2013, 9:02 pm

I have a foldout camper trailer. Or had one anyway till I left it set up in the backyard and the dog ate a side out of it :x. Now I've gotta get it re canvased. It's very comfortable and you can set up an annex off it to give you a kitchen or spare room. Or if I'm roughing it just a swag
.177, .22lr, .22-250R, 2x .308W, .30-30W, 7.62x54r, 8x56r, 9x19, .357 Mag, 12GA
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by BBJ » 15 Dec 2013, 9:36 am

Varmtr wrote:Swag, ghillie kettle cooking kit, canvas tarp, chair, 50lt modified waeco fridge, slr bayonet, leatherman and thats about it oh shovel and bog roll.

Aaaaagh! The chair! I always forget to take a chair every time I go.
Weatherby Vanguard .223 Remington
Tikka T3 Varmint Stainless .243 Winchester
R.I.P. M1 Garand .30-06 Springfield

Leupold VX-R 4-12x40
BBJ
Corporal
Corporal

Northern Territory

Return to Camping, fishing and outdoor recreation