UV sterilizing or filtering water

Camping, fishing and outdoor recreational activities. Tips, equipment, accessories, hiking and outdoor cooking.

UV sterilizing or filtering water

Post by sha » 31 Dec 2014, 3:05 pm

Hi guys,

Need to add something for producing water to the camping kit.

There's the LifeStraw... what do you call them, mechanical filters I guess?

In latest SSAA mag there is a bit on the SteriPEN which using UV light to kill microbes in the water but does not filter it.

Best option? What do you guys think? And use?
Savage Axis The Definition of Accuracy

Savage 93 .22 WMR
Savage 93R17 .17 HMR
Savage 110FP .308 WIN
sha
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Re: UV sterilizing or filtering water

Post by Noisydad » 31 Dec 2014, 7:08 pm

Done a bit of this with my Scouts using what we could find in the bush. Tried sand and charcoal in foam cups with little holes in the bottom for multi stage filtering. Crap method! Tried a big handful of bull rushes squashed up and bent into a cup shape. Works quite well for removing visible bits but then need to boil the water and let it settle or use a chlorine sterilizer that you can get in most decent camping shops.
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Guliver » 01 Jan 2015, 10:15 am

This link may help you: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portable ... rification

Here's a link on the same page but it will take you directly to the UV section : http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portable ... rification

A friend lent me a steripen on one trip to try, but I never needed it, so I'm not sure of its effectiveness.

Here are some reviews : https://www.google.com.au/search?q=ster ... 8&hl=en-GB

If worst come to worst you can use a few drops of iodine, doesn't taste the best but it's OKAY in an emergency.
Guliver
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by ex_reven » 01 Jan 2015, 12:52 pm

There are very few solutions that will cover you for everything, but IMO combining any half decent filtration system and choosing your water sources wisely will see you through without issues.

This is what I carry for personal use:
http://www.katadyn.com/en/katadyn-produ ... yn-pocket/

The filter size covers pretty much every waterborne contaminant you could expect to encounter - the most important thing to remember is to use it correctly.
A water filtration system that is not used and maintained correctly is effectively worthless.

This filter also does a few viruses down to 0.2 micron, but there are some that will still get through. Again, I haven't had any issues so far.

Custom 6mm Dasher
Sako 85, Sako Quad,
K98, K98 Sniper, No 4 Mk 1/2, Norinco JW25a
Kimber 1911 .45ACP, S&W 629 .44 Mag, Walther PPQ, Walther P22, S&W 686, Colt Gold Cup
Akkar Churchill, Crossman 1077
ex_reven
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by ex_reven » 01 Jan 2015, 12:55 pm

The life straw is a good implement for emergencies - but I have not personally used one.
I wouldn't use it as the sole water supply - rather as a last ditch tool.

I have heard mixed reviews on the steripen - I think that for what it is, that it is a good bit of kit - you would probably want to combine it with some kind of filtration though as you will still be drinking particulate matter (and if the water is murky I doubt the UV will do its job correctly).
Custom 6mm Dasher
Sako 85, Sako Quad,
Kimber 1911 .45ACP, S&W 629 .44 Mag, Walther PPQ, Walther P22, S&W 686, Colt Gold Cup
ex_reven
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by sbd3927 » 01 Jan 2015, 1:34 pm

Are you talking car based camp or hiking?
I made up a kit out of a 12v diaphragm pump (weed sprayer type, turns on and off as it maintains pressure, but they're not cheap) and an under sink osmosis filter, which has a fine filter and a membrane filter. In NT it can turn 25l mildly salty bore water to 18l pure overnight. That's with the salty overflow returning to the intake drum. More salt content = less production.
Whole thing fitted in a stacking crate, with snap fittings it doubles as a pump for heated water showers.
Anschutz 1515-1516 22WMR
Steyr Prohunter 308win, Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16x50
sbd3927
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 01 Jan 2015, 6:27 pm

I think that's the key question. How much?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Swarm » 03 Jan 2015, 10:03 am

Guliver wrote:A friend lent me a steripen on one trip to try, but I never needed it, so I'm not sure of its effectiveness.

They look like they do a great job.

There is a video of a science teacher doing a test in class where she put a block of cow dung in water and drinks it through the straw.

Comes out good on the other end she says. I'll take her word for it :lol:
Sako 75 Hunter IV 6.5x55 SE with Leupold VX-3L 4.5-14x50mm
CZ 455 .22LR with Leupold VX-R 3-9x40mm CDS
Winchester 88 .284 Winchester
Swarm
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by sha » 03 Jan 2015, 10:06 am

sbd3927 wrote:Are you talking car based camp or hiking?
I made up a kit out of a 12v diaphragm pump (weed sprayer type, turns on and off as it maintains pressure, but they're not cheap) and an under sink osmosis filter, which has a fine filter and a membrane filter. In NT it can turn 25l mildly salty bore water to 18l pure overnight.

As a lightweight option for all.

Nothing as complicated as that. Just something to get by for a day if you're in a pinch.

Savage 93 .22 WMR
Savage 93R17 .17 HMR
Savage 110FP .308 WIN
sha
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by sha » 03 Jan 2015, 10:07 am

Oldbloke wrote:I think that's the key question. How much?

A couple of litres in a trip probably?

It would be a stop gap to stay out of trouble, not live off of.

Savage 93 .22 WMR
Savage 93R17 .17 HMR
Savage 110FP .308 WIN
sha
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Tiiger » 03 Jan 2015, 10:08 am

Oldbloke wrote:I think that's the key question. How much?

Quantity is a big limitation of the UV ones. I think the SteriPEN does 500ml at a time?

Enough to get by for a day, but not supply a camp.
Tiiger
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by ex_reven » 03 Jan 2015, 1:09 pm

Honestly if you are looking for lightweight backup as an emergency supply should things go south then your best bet is to get iodine/chlorine water purification tablets.
They are the lightest and least bulky purification system - the only downside is that the water can have a hint of a funny smell and taste.

Steripen with some kind of prefilter is probably your next best choice - its designed mostly for just treating water bottles though.

My Katadyn filter was intended for me to supply myself with water when trekking - because carrying enough water for cooking and drinking over long distances is a major pain in the ass. The weight of the unit was offset by the need to carry too much water.
Custom 6mm Dasher
Sako 85, Sako Quad,
ex_reven
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by inventurkey » 04 Jan 2015, 8:51 pm

Swarm wrote:They look like they do a great job.

There is a video of a science teacher doing a test in class where she put a block of cow dung in water and drinks it through the straw.

Comes out good on the other end she says. I'll take her word for it :lol:

She was obviously pretty convinced before she started that test :lol:
Savage Axis Stainless in .308
Tikka Lite .22-250 Rem
inventurkey
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by south » 05 Jan 2015, 5:55 pm

ex_reven wrote:Honestly if you are looking for lightweight backup as an emergency supply should things go south then your best bet is to get iodine/chlorine water purification tablets.

Maybe asking the obvious here but... Drinking chlorine? Can't be great for you in any quantity?

Does something else break down or remove the chlorine after you've done your purification or to you just drink it?

How many days do you want to be drinking it for? I mean, would you take just tablets for a 2 day trip? 3? a week?

Or just real emergencies?
south
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by ex_reven » 05 Jan 2015, 6:52 pm

south wrote:Maybe asking the obvious here but... Drinking chlorine? Can't be great for you in any quantity?

Does something else break down or remove the chlorine after you've done your purification or to you just drink it?

How many days do you want to be drinking it for? I mean, would you take just tablets for a 2 day trip? 3? a week?

Or just real emergencies?

Chlorine is an element with many forms.

Table salt is one of them.

The form of chlorine that is used in water purification tabs is not hazardous, at least not in its recommended dosage.

I'm not sure if it has been superceded by something more effective, but I'm pretty sure chlorination is also still our main purification agent at Sydney Water.

Yep: http://www.aquasafe.com.au/water-qualit ... uburb.html
Custom 6mm Dasher
Sako 85, Sako Quad,
ex_reven
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by south » 06 Jan 2015, 8:18 am

Didn't know that.

Thanks Ex :)
south
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal