How do you carry?

Camping, fishing and outdoor recreational activities. Tips, equipment, accessories, hiking and outdoor cooking.

How do you carry?

Post by vonfram88 » 02 Jan 2015, 4:49 pm

How do people carry their rifles/guns when in the vehicle or free ranging?

My preference is for completely unloaded inside the vehicle when moving from site to site (unless it's poking out the window on an active hunt).

When free ranging we African carry - sling over the weak side, muzzle down and the condition of the rifle is is bolt forward, decocked with charged magazine inserted (or internal magazine charged - hold the top round down to close the bolt and decock).
He that hath no sword; let him sell his garment and buy one.
vonfram88
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Re: How do you carry?

Post by headspace » 02 Jan 2015, 9:07 pm

I seldom use a sling, and I don't trust safety catches. I carry mine across the front cradling it with both arms. When I'm actively hunting there's a round chambered, with the bolt part closed so all I have to do is close the bolt all the way. my finger is always on the outside of the guard, and the rifle is carried so that it's pointing away from anyone I'm walking with. Unless you are in really steep country a sling is often a nuisance getting caught up in branches etc. A lot of hunting involves the fluid movement of the rifle from rest to the operating position and a sling hampers that.
JD
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by ex_reven » 02 Jan 2015, 9:42 pm

TAB Biathlon style sling over shoulder when walking about.
Buttstock to floor, cradled between legs if inside ute.
Arm through the sling, rifle across the front of my chest when in the rear tray.

No game in sight = Bolt closed on empty chamber
Game in sight/nearby = Round up the spout, bolt cocked and ready to rock.
Last edited by ex_reven on 03 Jan 2015, 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Custom 6mm Dasher
Sako 85, Sako Quad,
K98, K98 Sniper, No 4 Mk 1/2, Norinco JW25a
Kimber 1911 .45ACP, S&W 629 .44 Mag, Walther PPQ, Walther P22, S&W 686, Colt Gold Cup
Akkar Churchill, Crossman 1077
ex_reven
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by tom604 » 02 Jan 2015, 10:24 pm

across lower chest/gut, arm looped around sling so that i can use it like a brace, one in the spout, safety on, half cocked, pointing down, thats if i think anything is around.,,,,empty, on my back, when i finally see anything :oops:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by brett1868 » 02 Jan 2015, 11:13 pm

Over left shoulder, muzzle up with bolt closed on empty chamber. On spotting target I slide it from the shoulder while reaching around with my right hand for the grip, as the rifle is raised I grip the fore end, lock the sling with elbow, chamber a round as the butt stock reaches the shoulder and I'm ready to fire in a fairly quick manner. For the field artillery I use the ute and a pelican case cause carrying the big guns any distance sucks as it's a long walk to the back paddock and I've got short legs which makes it twice as long for me.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 03 Jan 2015, 6:11 am

When in the vehicle spotlighting I either sit it on the seat next to me or I have it resting on my chest lap area with the forend in the bend in the elbow I hope that makes sense? :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Westy » 03 Jan 2015, 6:30 am

brett1868 wrote:Over left shoulder, muzzle up with bolt closed on empty chamber. On spotting target I slide it from the shoulder while reaching around with my right hand for the grip, as the rifle is raised I grip the fore end, lock the sling with elbow, chamber a round as the butt stock reaches the shoulder and I'm ready to fire in a fairly quick manner. For the field artillery I use the ute and a pelican case cause carrying the big guns any distance sucks as it's a long walk to the back paddock and I've got short legs which makes it twice as long for me.

Now here's a guy with both style and brains x 2 Brett :o :shock: :twisted: :mrgreen:
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Herdsman » 04 Jan 2015, 7:17 pm

Holding with arms crossed if you get what I mean? Like cradling the rifle sort of...

Right hand on grip, fore-end of rifle in crook of left elbow, and left hand on top of rifle butt.

That's walking obviously... Any time in the car always empty and bolt out in the bag.
Shepherding bullets down range.

Tikka Hunter Stainless Fluted 300 Win Mag
Tikka Battue Lite .308 Win
Tikka Varmint Stainless .222 Rem
Herdsman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by scrolllock » 04 Jan 2015, 7:27 pm

I can't sort out how I like to carry, never comfortable.

Shuffling round from slung on the back to cradling it to lefty to right....

Pain in the ass :(
scrolllock
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Westy » 04 Jan 2015, 7:40 pm

How do you carry?

Normally with my hands but when I get tired I make my 11 yr old carry it!!!!! :P ;) :)
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by cooker » 05 Jan 2015, 11:01 am

Some say slaves, I say it's getting the kids involved :lol:
cooker
Private
Private

New Zealand

Post by Westy » 05 Jan 2015, 12:37 pm

Big 10-4 Cooker
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Lorgar » 05 Jan 2015, 2:21 pm

scrolllock wrote:I can't sort out how I like to carry, never comfortable.

Shuffling round from slung on the back to cradling it to lefty to right....

Pain in the ass :(

I used to do the same. Ended up making a DIY biathlon sling though which is greater for longer walks where no shots are expected.

Walking in a more prepared state though... Over one shoulder, chamber empty and magazine full.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by handofcod » 05 Jan 2015, 4:12 pm

If I'm alone, carried in the off hand pointed at the ground in front of me.

If I'm with people two handed carry, the rifle up against my chest and pointed at the ground to my right (left handed shooter). I keep the left hand well away from trigger guard at all times.
CZ452 22lr | Remington 5R Milspec in .223 | Tikka Hunter in 300wsm | Ruger Scout in .308
handofcod
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Westy » 05 Jan 2015, 6:00 pm

Lorgar wrote:I used to do the same. Ended up making a DIY biathlon sling though which is greater for longer walks where no shots are expected.

Walking in a more prepared state though... Over one shoulder, chamber empty and magazine full.

Always a over the shoulder thing for me most comfortable and no round in the chamber!!!!
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Grrzrr » 06 Jan 2015, 8:17 am

With lots of huffing, puffing and griping because my bones are too old to have a rifle knocking into them all the time :lol:
Grrzrr
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by GLS_1956 » 11 Feb 2015, 3:07 pm

Here in Oklahoma, USA, unless you have a carry permit you are to transport firearms with the chamber and magazine empty.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by RealNick » 12 Feb 2015, 10:37 am

GLS_1956 wrote:Here in Oklahoma, USA, unless you have a carry permit you are to transport firearms with the chamber and magazine empty.

Same here. Only place to have it loaded is at the range or on your hunting property.

Technically if hunting in the forest and you need to cross a road you're suppose to unchamber/unload and walk across, then reload.
RealNick
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Westy » 12 Feb 2015, 5:59 pm

In recent times I've been seen around the farm tucking my 303 into my shorts, I'm finding it's the best way to carry such a Bloody heavy rifle!!!!!
I find Pyjama pants best as it goes straight into the fly with out a problem!!!!!
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by pajamatime » 12 Feb 2015, 6:13 pm

Westy wrote:In recent times I've been seen around the farm tucking my 303 into my shorts, I'm finding it's the best way to carry such a Bloody heavy rifle!!!!!
I find Pyjama pants best as it goes straight into the fly with out a problem!!!!!

now thats gangsta... :thumbsup:
The Prudent see the evil and hide but the Naive keep going and are punished for it
pajamatime
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by trekin » 13 Feb 2015, 5:52 am

Westy wrote:In recent times I've been seen around the farm tucking my 303 into my shorts, I'm finding it's the best way to carry such a Bloody heavy rifle!!!!!

Now I have a picture of Jackie Lambie (who's after a man with a large package) chasing Westy around the farm in my head ................... Cue the Benny Hill chase music. :clap: :lol:
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Westy » 13 Feb 2015, 7:00 am

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
trekin you got some pretty scary stuff floating around in that head of yours!!!!! :crazy: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by trekin » 13 Feb 2015, 9:03 am

Westy wrote:^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
trekin you got some pretty scary stuff floating around in that head of yours!!!!! :crazy: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ahh... recognition by my peers finally. :drinks:
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Rocker » 13 Feb 2015, 6:42 pm

trekin wrote:Ahh... recognition by my peers finally. :drinks:

Not recognition so much as they're paying attention to you now for safety reasons :P :lol:
Sako A7 30-06
Marlin 1895 Guide Gun 45-70
Rocker
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Return to Camping, fishing and outdoor recreation