Lighter BBQ setup for camping

Camping, fishing and outdoor recreational activities. Tips, equipment, accessories, hiking and outdoor cooking.

Lighter BBQ setup for camping

Post by Seik » 15 Oct 2013, 8:51 pm

So...

I've got one of the Spika-Q fold up BBQ's that I take camping, but it's basically a pain in the ass to carry around.

It's about 1 1/2 x 2 foot long, so not exactly small...

What do you guys take out for cooking on that's a bit easier on weight load and space?
Seik
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: Lighter BBQ setup for camping

Post by oohsam » 15 Oct 2013, 9:02 pm

I havnt felt how heavy the spika is, butI I remember them being quite small.
Are you hiking with it or just loading it in the car?

We take a coal bbq with us and some heat beads. Its medium sized and disassembles quite small.

Something like this may be good for you though? You will need to take coal however.
otherwise for something to chuck over the fire, the spika is the only way to go.

or this

From here :
http://home.ataiji.com/p/Folding-Outdoo ... 08824.html
http://gunhunter.com.au
Email alerts for used guns, Get an email when a gun/rifle you're looking for is listed. Instantly.
oohsam
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Brute » 16 Oct 2013, 4:58 am

Just a plate of metal? Proper it up on stones or stumps or whatever over your fire.
The Hammer of Dawn
Brute
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Harper » 16 Oct 2013, 5:07 am

Take a roll of foil and bake it near the fire.

Skip the BBQ thing together.
Savage 14/114 American Classic 30-06 Springfield
Savage Axis 25-06 Remington
Harper
Corporal
Corporal

Northern Territory

Post by Seik » 16 Oct 2013, 5:09 am

oohsam wrote:I havnt felt how heavy the spika is, butI I remember them being quite small. Are you hiking with it or just loading it in the car?

It's not the size, it's just one more thing to lug around, you know?

Typically loading it in the car + a small hike to the camp ground.

Baking in foil sounds worth a try though...
Seik
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Don10 » 16 Oct 2013, 8:22 am

It is a bit "horses for course" if I have the ability to carry it I carry a spigot that goes into the ground. I then have a hotplate, a grill, a wok and some rods to hang a billy off that swivel around the spigot and can be adjusted for height as well. So you can easily very heat and have the hot plate off the fire when you want to. Last time I was camping some other campers even came and took pictures they were impressed.

If I am walking with a pack and need to grill some meat I carry the Grilliput which as they say fits into your pocket. Here is a pic of the Grilliput.
grilliput.JPG
grilliput.JPG (26.21 KiB) Viewed 4082 times
"Australian troops had, at Milne Bay, inflicted on the Japanese their first undoubted defeat on land. Some of us may forget that, of all the allies, it was the Australians who first broke the invincibility of the Japanese army. — Field Marsh Slim.
Don10
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by oohsam » 16 Oct 2013, 8:44 am

Don10 wrote:It is a bit "horses for course" if I have the ability to carry it I carry a spigot that goes into the ground. I then have a hotplate, a grill, a wok and some rods to hang a billy off that swivel around the spigot and can be adjusted for height as well. So you can easily very heat and have the hot plate off the fire when you want to. Last time I was camping some other campers even came and took pictures they were impressed.

If I am walking with a pack and need to grill some meat I carry the Grilliput which as they say fits into your pocket. Here is a pic of the Grilliput.
grilliput.JPG

Keen to see some pics of your setup. I think I know what you're talking about but a pic would help!

That grillput looks the goods I reckon.

http://www.industrialrev.com/grilliput.html
Email alerts for used guns, Get an email when a gun/rifle you're looking for is listed. Instantly.
oohsam
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Don10 » 16 Oct 2013, 9:18 am

Mate

The cookstand is made by Hillbilly the basic spigot is $55 then you can get heaps of different plates, pans, woks to hang off it. This is their site http://www.campingwithhillbilly.com/cookstand.php I like the fact that you can move it up and down and swing it off the fire easily without burning your hands.

cooking stand kit 600mm.jpg
cooking stand kit 600mm.jpg (145.53 KiB) Viewed 4081 times

The Grilliput is quite a good item if you are living out of a pack

I have no association with either product or manufacturer just a happy camper :lol:
"Australian troops had, at Milne Bay, inflicted on the Japanese their first undoubted defeat on land. Some of us may forget that, of all the allies, it was the Australians who first broke the invincibility of the Japanese army. — Field Marsh Slim.
Don10
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Don10 » 16 Oct 2013, 9:48 am

This topic just cost me $300 I went to the Hillbilly site to get a pic to send and ended up by $300 worth of camping cooking equipment lol

Well it is good stuff spun steel as opposed to cast iron makes it lighter and easier to clean.
Don10
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by oohsam » 16 Oct 2013, 10:00 am

hahahahahahah!!!

CHeers for the info. I might just be going there now to 'look at the pictures' too!
oohsam
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Hatter » 16 Oct 2013, 1:02 pm

Don10 wrote:This topic just cost me $300 I went to the Hillbilly site to get a pic to send and ended up by $300 worth of camping cooking equipment lol

Ha ha :lol:
30-06 Steyr 98 -- .243W Steyr Pro Varmint -- 32-20 WCF Winchester 1885 -- 223 Remington 700 5R
Hatter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Return to Camping, fishing and outdoor recreation