New sleeping bag

Camping, fishing and outdoor recreational activities. Tips, equipment, accessories, hiking and outdoor cooking.

New sleeping bag

Post by headspace » 02 Feb 2015, 8:02 pm

I have recently secured some hunting land in the New England area and it's at over 1,000m so this winter I'm going to need a good sleeping bag. I'm vehicle based and won't have to carry it any further that from the 4x4 to the tent. So far I'm liking the Roman bags. I reckon on a genuine minus ten bag for that country. I'm 6ft 2in and about 102kg so I don't want some squeezy little thing. What idea's?
JD
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Re: New bag

Post by FuzzyM » 02 Feb 2015, 8:18 pm

Oztrail Canvas Mega Hooded is the duck's nuts.
I just got one recently on special, haven't used it in anger yet, but I'm 6 foot and 105kg and I fit in it easy.
I bough my mate one for his 21st a couple of years ago and he loves it. Keeps him nice and toasty up in the high country, and he is a skinny bugger who feels the cold.

:thumbsup:
FuzzyM
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 02 Feb 2015, 8:34 pm

I'm basicly the same height / weight as yourself and struggled to find a suitable bag to sleep in. My shoulders fill the top wich traps my arms inside, not good when I mannaged to get my swag zipper all done up, and my bag zipper up then decide I can't breathe ! , TALK ABOUT CLAUSTROPHOBIA !!!... if I had my knife on me I would have cut my way out !!! I came soooo close to completely loosing my sh!t that night.

Anyhow, my soulition was a pair of bags that zipped together, not ideal for keeping the heat in but great for sleeping spread eagle.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Warrigul » 02 Feb 2015, 8:57 pm

headspace wrote:I have recently secured some hunting land in the New England area and it's at over 1,000m so this winter I'm going to need a good sleeping bag. I'm vehicle based and won't have to carry it any further that from the 4x4 to the tent. So far I'm liking the Roman bags. I reckon on a genuine minus ten bag for that country. I'm 6ft 2in and about 102kg so I don't want some squeezy little thing. What idea's?
JD

Self inflating mattress,(but I fit a full sized single bed innerspring in the back of my hilux) Queen sized doona with a thick woolen blanket UNDER as well as on top.

Stuff the sleeping bags and air beds, takes a bit of setting up and carrying space but you will laugh at your mates the next morning..
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by headspace » 03 Feb 2015, 2:21 pm

Bloody hell Warrigal, where's the 4 poster? plus a generator and electric blanket?? At least you're comfy, but getting out of bed must be a bitch. On One Wheel, I feel the same pain mate, most of these bags are made for dwarf amputees.
JD
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Warrigul » 03 Feb 2015, 5:12 pm

headspace wrote:Bloody hell Warrigal, where's the 4 poster? plus a generator and electric blanket?? At least you're comfy, but getting out of bed must be a bitch. On One Wheel, I feel the same pain mate, most of these bags are made for dwarf amputees.
JD

I like my comfort.

The missus calls it "glamping"
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Westy » 03 Feb 2015, 6:02 pm

I bought one last Christmas it's -10 and it's a great size to boot as I'm around your figures!!!!!Will look it up after dinner tonight and let you know!!!We used it @ Texas last year in -7 in a swag and it was toasty warm all night one!!!
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by headspace » 03 Feb 2015, 8:24 pm

I'll look forward to that mate. I don't think down bags are needed any more unless you're really nuts on weight. I'm not so It will be synthetic filling for me.
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by sbd3927 » 03 Feb 2015, 10:03 pm

Admittedly I don't feel the cold much, but underneath is more important than on top. I've a full length self inflating mat, about 40mm thick, not particularly heavy, but still takes up a fair volume. Forget air mattresses, the air circulates and is nearly as bad as a hammock (you only try that once...). With a -2 rated bag I've yet to be able to tolerate it zipped up for more than a few hours, generally using it as a loose blanket. Used recently for a 1 night hike along with tent (took up half the backpack) and for several 1mth long trips central and nth along with a canvas swag (minus the useless swag mattress).
Another option for the cold, take some poly thermals, use them as pajamas if required and a lighter weight bag. Helps keep the bag clean, you can wear them during the day if it's particularly cold, and are quick drying if you need to wash them on extended trip.
I agree 110% with the wanting to cut the way out of a bag feeling. Another reason I leave mine unzipped at least half way, it has a cursed locking zip that I need to break sometime, Unless you pull the tag just right, it wont move, not a nice feeling when you are hot.
Anschutz 1515-1516 22WMR
Steyr Prohunter 308win, Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16x50
sbd3927
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by headspace » 04 Feb 2015, 2:55 pm

Thanks for that mate, I have a couple of different self inflating mattresses and you're right about he blow up's, it's like sleeping with your arse in a fridge. I've got a bit of choosing ahead of me by the look of it.
JD
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by gVale » 05 Feb 2015, 6:43 pm

You definitely want to get one rated into the negatives.

I've had a few over the years and while +2 or +4 sounds good it only has to be marginally below that and you're freezing your tits off!
gVale
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Lorgar » 05 Feb 2015, 6:44 pm

I have a +4 Black Wolf sleeping bag.

I've found it basically means you wont die at 4c, but no comfort is guaranteed or implied :lol:
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Re: New sleeping bag

Post by agentzero » 05 Feb 2015, 7:42 pm

My pro-tip is take a blanket to stuff in the sleeping bag.

A good bag keeps the warmth in, but they vent it like a **** when you shuffle around and end up puffing the warmth out.

A warm blanket stuffed in the top half with you to seal in the goodness is the way, works as well as adding another bag ;)
agentzero
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by headspace » 19 Feb 2015, 5:06 pm

I may have to pinch my wife's doona!
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Westy » 19 Feb 2015, 5:22 pm

Sorry HS didn't get back to you did I??? try to do it tonight
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Aussier » 20 Feb 2015, 7:35 am

agentzero wrote:My pro-tip is take a blanket to stuff in the sleeping bag.

A good bag keeps the warmth in, but they vent it like a **** when you shuffle around and end up puffing the warmth out.

A warm blanket stuffed in the top half with you to seal in the goodness is the way, works as well as adding another bag ;)

And don't get a double bag if you go camping with the misses.

Same problem, ever time someone shuffles they lose the other persons heat. :problem:
Aussier
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Return to Camping, fishing and outdoor recreation