Swags for big fella's

Camping, fishing and outdoor recreational activities. Tips, equipment, accessories, hiking and outdoor cooking.

Swags for big fella's

Post by Craimos » 21 Mar 2015, 10:15 pm

hey,

as its soon to be my birthday, was thinking of getting a swag. i wanted to hear some advice from some of you larger (and not so young) guys about what works as far as mattresses go.

i reckon the standard 50mm foam is not going to do the trick. Possibly air mattress?

anyway, let me know if you have something that has worked for you.
Tikka Hunter .308
Savage Mk2 .22LR
Craimos
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Re: Swags for big fella's

Post by Mule » 22 Mar 2015, 1:32 am

Anaconda have a few diffrent size shape and density self inflating mattresses but keep in mind some swags are built to take a certain size matress. Also depends on what sort of swag u get.
I would recomend not getting an unsupported type. Ie two flaps of canvas folded over the top of ya. Ok in summer not so in winter and forget about the snow.
Burke and wills are good but top dollar, hi country are reasonable. But as always you get what you pay for and do your research first.

Cheers. Hope this helps
And if today is the day you call me home,
oh lord,
may I die in a pile of brass with the smell cordite lingering in the air
Mule
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Dwayne » 22 Mar 2015, 6:00 am

I know the feeling of being a 'big fella'( wide&tall) in a swag, misses and I have an Oztrail self inflating mattress in our double swag, it's brilliant compared to the old 25mm crap that was in it lol, the only problem is you kind of need to role it out a good couple hrs with the valves open for the foam to completely puff back out to size after being rolled up. As for swags, I have the Oztrail 'Cooper' and i find it rather small/tight, and tight across the feet area, my old man has a Steel ( made by Darche) 'nomad' swag and i quite like it for size but the mattress is pretty avarage not too badly priced either, I would like to upgrade to a Darche 'traditional' king, they're a bit bigger again and they have a 75mm high density foam mattress in them. or you could go for the dome type swags for more room but i'm too lazy to set them up, I like to just chuck it on the ground, roll it out and ya done
Dwayne
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Lorgar » 22 Mar 2015, 6:54 am

Craimos wrote:i reckon the standard 50mm foam is not going to do the trick. Possibly air mattress?

Air mattress great if it's just you. Tried the double air mattress when camping with the GF and it's like being on a bouncy castle.

Every time one of you moves the other gets bounced away. Not great for a good nights sleep.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Gregg » 22 Mar 2015, 6:56 am

Craimos wrote:i reckon the standard 50mm foam is not going to do the trick.

Completely depends on the ground for me.

Flat grassy clearing it's ok.

Rougher ground, cleared scrub with rocks etc. under the surface, packed earth, anything like that and it's too much for these old bones.
Howa 1500 .270 WInchester
Savage Model 10/110 Predator .204 Ruger
Gregg
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Craimos » 22 Mar 2015, 12:40 pm

75 mm high density foam. Now that sounds good. Does it roll up small enough to get inside the cruiser though? Ha.

Have heard mixed reports about the self inflating mattresses. Mate who is about my size reckons it wasn't too flash. Seems like the best of both worlds though.
Tikka Hunter .308
Savage Mk2 .22LR
Craimos
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by headspace » 22 Mar 2015, 3:18 pm

If you get a decent quality SI mattress you'll be OK. I'm about 100kg (varies) and over 6ft tall. My swag was made for me by a mate who does these things in canvas and leather. It's wider than most and has a foot pocket then two flaps that fold one over the other. Nice and snug in winter. I also have a stretcher that will keep me off the deck. But I'm going to be 70 next week so you have to make a few concessions I guess.
JD
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Craimos » 22 Mar 2015, 4:44 pm

Does the stretcher contain the width of the swag ok JD ? I am 6 foot, 120kgs. Width is more of an issue than height. ....
Tikka Hunter .308
Savage Mk2 .22LR
Craimos
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Grrzrr » 23 Mar 2015, 1:15 pm

The width is what gets me in swags too.

You're expected to lay like a matchstick to fit in half of them.
Grrzrr
Private
Private

New South Wales

Return to Camping, fishing and outdoor recreation