Dodgy 2 stroke fuel

Camping, fishing and outdoor recreational activities. Tips, equipment, accessories, hiking and outdoor cooking.

Dodgy 2 stroke fuel

Post by North East » 16 Apr 2015, 4:32 pm

So I went to fire up my Husqvarna 455 chainsaw up to today....only to met by the sound of lack of cooperation....she would not start! With the coming winter hunting season about to begin I thought I would check that is was running OK. I've got to have a working chainsaw where I hunt. Lucky I didn't need it over summer.

Drain the fuel out....ditch the remaining fuel and clean the filter. Get fresh fuel tomorrow.

Moral of the story don't hang on to 2 stroke mix for to long.
Browning BL-22 lever action...open sights
T3 Varmint .204 Ruger...Meopta Meostar 4-16X44
T3 Lite .30-06 Sprg...Aimpoint Hunter 1X red dot

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Re: Dodgy 2 stroke fuel

Post by Noisydad » 16 Apr 2015, 5:35 pm

...AND check for Mud Wasp nests in the exhaust pipe! That'll stop a chainsaw before they start every time!
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 16 Apr 2015, 6:39 pm

Noisydad wrote:...AND check for Mud Wasp nests in the exhaust pipe! That'll stop a chainsaw before they start every time!

Bloody oath, had that problem with a blowervac and mulcher :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 16 Apr 2015, 6:41 pm

My Chainsaw Mechanic recommends using 95oct fuel as it runs cooler, the 98oct runs too hot he reckons and you'll see a white powdery residue on the spark plugs, he's been quite busy fixing all many of 2 stroke machinery because of it apparently.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by North East » 16 Apr 2015, 7:02 pm

bigfellascott wrote:My Chainsaw Mechanic recommends using 95oct fuel as it runs cooler, the 98oct runs too hot he reckons and you'll see a white powdery residue on the spark plugs, he's been quite busy fixing all many of 2 stroke machinery because of it apparently.

I don't know what sort of 2 stroke fuel they run around my place....except for alpine diesel mix in winter....I'll have another go tomorrow.

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 16 Apr 2015, 7:56 pm

Sorry mate I think I got that slightly wrong, I think the white residue was from using fuel with Ethanol in it, so check that the fuel you use doesn't have Ethanol in it, apparently not good for 2 strokes and use 91 or 95 Oct if you can (can't remember which one now) :?
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by North East » 16 Apr 2015, 8:06 pm

bigfellascott wrote:Sorry mate I think I got that slightly wrong, I think the white residue was from using fuel with Ethanol in it, so check that the fuel you use doesn't have Ethanol in it, apparently not good for 2 strokes and use 91 or 95 Oct if you can (can't remember which one now) :?

No worries...any unleaded crap would do in the mix...never has dramas with it before...until it left unused for 5 months. There's more dramas with alpine diesel mix around here...but thats another story.

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 16 Apr 2015, 8:10 pm

What drama's do you get with the Alpine mix mate? We get the Alpine Diesel Mix here too.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by North East » 16 Apr 2015, 8:35 pm

bigfellascott wrote:What drama's do you get with the Alpine mix mate? We get the Alpine Diesel Mix here too.

About 4 years ago I was working at Falls Creek Alpine Resort. I has the standard alpine diesel mix in the ute, left there all week. About to go home for a couple of days off...kicked over the engine for 2 seconds...and that was it. Totally waxed up, has to leave it in the sun for about 5 hours before I could get going.

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 16 Apr 2015, 8:42 pm

North East wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:What drama's do you get with the Alpine mix mate? We get the Alpine Diesel Mix here too.

About 4 years ago I was working at Falls Creek Alpine Resort. I has the standard alpine diesel mix in the ute, left there all week. About to go home for a couple of days off...kicked over the engine for 2 seconds...and that was it. Totally waxed up, has to leave it in the sun for about 5 hours before I could get going.

Ah yes it can be a problem at times, my mate builds a fire under his tractor at times to help it get going in winter :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by North East » 16 Apr 2015, 8:47 pm

bigfellascott wrote:
North East wrote:

Ah yes it can be a problem at times, my mate builds a fire under his tractor at times to help it get going in winter :lol:

....and I wasn't in the RACV so just has to sit it out, oh well....****** happens.

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 16 Apr 2015, 8:50 pm

:lol: I would have been sitting it out at the Pub :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by wrenchman » 17 Apr 2015, 2:27 am

i spend a lot of time in the winter geting jelled trucks started and runnng i make a lot of money in the winter becouse guys dont plug them in or drain water from fuel or brakes.
Block heaters and fuel heaters dont work to good if they wont use them
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by bigfellascott » 17 Apr 2015, 7:13 am

Yeah I've seen a few diff engine warmers out there, seem to make life a lot easier in the colder climates.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by AusC » 17 Apr 2015, 10:53 am

Mine's never stored more than a month.

If 5 is how long you've found it takes for it to go bad sounds like I'm safe.
300 Win Mag Tikka T3 Lite.
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by North East » 17 Apr 2015, 11:17 am

Fresh fuel, new mix and 3 pulls later it starts. Good as new.

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 18 Apr 2015, 8:05 pm

just pulled my 2 saws out today for a look over ready for wood season , pull and check the plug fuel up and 4 pulls on one and 5 on the other and away they go

ya see at the end of the season i put some rich mix in them 25:1 run for a minute or two and stop tip out what is left and start until it stops then put it away after a

bit of a clean .

oh and no probs with wasp's either as i store them in the house . :lol:
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 18 Apr 2015, 8:09 pm

deye243 wrote:just pulled my 2 saws out today for a look over ready for wood season , pull and check the plug fuel up and 4 pulls on one and 5 on the other and away they go

ya see at the end of the season i put some rich mix in them 25:1 run for a minute or two and stop tip out what is left and start until it stops then put it away after a

bit of a clean .

Mine run on 25:1 (Jonsereds) and the Sthil runs on 50:1 but it often gets 25:1 anyway, same with the Oleomac :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by North East » 18 Apr 2015, 8:59 pm

I use 50:1 with Husqvarna 2 stroke mix but it doesn't go the distance.

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by headspace » 18 Apr 2015, 9:19 pm

Being in Far North of NSW we don't get problems in the winter like you blokes talk about. MY Husky runs on 95 fuel 50:1 mix same as the ride on brush cutter and leaf vac. Oh and the boat which is 4 stroke. NO snow here though, a cold night is around 1 degC. I have a few mates in the US like wrenchman and come winter they are all on about frozen pipes and ice fishing.
JD
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by deye243 » 19 Apr 2015, 4:00 am

bigfellascott wrote:
deye243 wrote:just pulled my 2 saws out today for a look over ready for wood season , pull and check the plug fuel up and 4 pulls on one and 5 on the other and away they go

bit of a clean .

Mine run on 25:1 (Jonsereds) and the Sthil runs on 50:1 but it often gets 25:1 anyway, same with the Oleomac :D

Scott as ya know my saws are ported and run on full synthetic oil 40:1 . do you retune after the fuel change mate
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Wes » 20 Apr 2015, 7:33 pm

I'd just be happy if I could stop the chain slipping off on mine :problem:
Wes
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by North East » 20 Apr 2015, 8:09 pm

Wes wrote:I'd just be happy if I could stop the chain slipping off on mine :problem:

Just tighten or replace the chain if it to far gone.

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Baronvonrort » 20 Apr 2015, 9:31 pm

It's funny how much trouble ethanol in fuel has caused,it's no good for 2 strokes and eats fiberglass fuel tanks in boats and planes.

I avoid petrol with ethanol if possible.
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by North East » 20 Apr 2015, 9:39 pm

Baronvonrort wrote:It's funny how much trouble ethanol in fuel has caused,it's no good for 2 strokes and eats fiberglass fuel tanks in boats and planes.

There's only 2 petrol stations in town where I live. I just take whatever I can get.

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Rakk » 21 Apr 2015, 4:05 pm

Baronvonrort wrote:It's funny how much trouble ethanol in fuel has caused,it's no good for 2 strokes and eats fiberglass fuel tanks in boats and planes.

Wasn't the whole 'scandal' that stations were watering down there fuel with it without telling people to save some coin?
Rakk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by headspace » 21 Apr 2015, 8:11 pm

Rakk wrote:

Wasn't the whole 'scandal' that stations were watering down there fuel with it without telling people to save some coin?

We had a bloke do that, and when they found him out he left town in a bit of a hurry.
JD :thumbsdown:
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 21 Apr 2015, 8:21 pm

headspace wrote:
Rakk wrote:

We had a bloke do that, and when they found him out he left town in a bit of a hurry.
JD :thumbsdown:

I was told by someone who works in the petrol station industry that one servo was adding extra ethanol to the unleaded. Trouble was the underground tank was fibreglass and it sprung a huge leak. Cost a small fortune to replace it. :clap:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 21 Apr 2015, 9:35 pm

there is an easy way yo tell if you're fuel has ethanol in it get a small glass bottle and put some fuel in it and then some water

about 10% 20% and mark where the top level of the water is and then shake the s**t out of it and if there is any ethanol in in it will

be above the mark i did it here in one of the united stations here and the bloke went nuts .

it works because ethanol is hygroscopic .
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by KWhorenet » 21 Apr 2015, 9:50 pm

OIL THREAD :clap: you chainsaw nuts cant help your selves ;)

deye243 wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:

bit of a clean .

Scott as ya know my saws are ported and run on full synthetic oil 40:1 . do you retune after the fuel change mate
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Return to Camping, fishing and outdoor recreation