oh the SHAME

Camping, fishing and outdoor recreational activities. Tips, equipment, accessories, hiking and outdoor cooking.

oh the SHAME

Post by tom604 » 11 May 2015, 11:03 am

went out on the weekend to get a few rabbits for dog food,bit windy and rainy :( saw a few rabbits but most didnt stay still long enough to get a shot off and only managed five for the night, four females,all pregnant :cry: there goes some of my breeding stock :lol:

cleaned them up and put the .22 away and had a last look around and in the feeble glow of my head light i spied a fox having a free feed of rabbit bits no more than 35/40 feet away :wtf:

i dive back into the car unpack the rifle get the bolt in, load mag, all the time saying,,stay there you little bug#er, swing the .22 up and can just see the fox in the scope,no xhairs, just fox ,give the trigger a yank and clean miss :shock: :cry: :oops: :thumbsdown:

but no pics so maybe it didn't happen (but it did) :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :unknown:

oh well better luck next time :thumbsup:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Re: oh the SHAME

Post by KWhorenet » 11 May 2015, 11:22 am

hahaha I don't feel so bad missing a buck from 10-15m side on standing still now.

Oh wait, yes I do, I'm still pissed off and still look for his carcass in denial :x
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by fawksel » 11 May 2015, 4:11 pm

Where you doing this KWhorenet? :mrgreen:

Marlin 1894 .44 Magnum
Remington 770 Stainless Camo .270 Win
Mossberg 802 Plinkster 22LR
fawksel
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 11 May 2015, 6:19 pm

Bottom line is that it was too dark.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by tom604 » 11 May 2015, 6:33 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Bottom line is that it was too dark.

and i was way too eager :unknown:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by remnt » 12 May 2015, 4:11 pm

tom604 wrote:i dive back into the car unpack the rifle get the bolt in, load mag, all the time saying,,stay there you little bug#er, swing the .22 up and can just see the fox in the scope,no xhairs, just fox ,give the trigger a yank and clean miss :shock: :cry: :oops: :thumbsdown:

You know the fox knew what was going on and was toying with you too right :mrgreen:
CZ 453 .17 HMR
Mossberg 183T 410 Bore
Savage 10FP .308 Win
remnt
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Prios » 20 May 2015, 11:30 am

KWhorenet wrote:hahaha I don't feel so bad missing a buck from 10-15m side on standing still now.

I was going to say I've done that against a rabbit which was a poor effort, hard to top missing a deer from 15m though :lol:
Browning T-Bolt 17HMR + Leupold VX-1 4-12x40
Browning X Bolt Hunter 30-06 Springfield + Leupold VX-1 3-9x40
Prios
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by KWhorenet » 20 May 2015, 11:37 am

thanks, I had gotten over it, but now the feeling is raw again
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by tom604 » 20 May 2015, 3:06 pm

i feel your pain :friends: just not as much :D
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by Gwion » 20 May 2015, 4:25 pm

Driving back from the range where we'd been shooting out at 300yds with my 223. Stopped on the drive way because there was a bunny sitting pretty in the paddock about 30-40m away. Quietly got the rifle together. Put ear muffs on while telling my self to reset the zero from 300 & 3MOA windage. Pointed the rifle out the window. Loaded a single round. Aimed square at the head, just behind the eye. Pulled the trigger. BANG. Rabbit runs off.

Told myself to reset zero b ut never took the caps off and did it. This was just this Saturday gone.

What a nonce! :problem:

Too bad you missed the fox but at least you got some bunnies. :thumbsup: :drinks:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by RoginaJack » 20 May 2015, 4:34 pm

Two mates, John and Pat and me were spotting bunnies out Nymbioda way in NSW one night.Pulled up to clean them on the back of the land Rover and after awhile we could hear, "chop,chop' chew, chew" coming from behind us and almost at our feet.
Moved out of the light and there was Foxy Loxy cleaning up the offal.
All the rifles were locked away, so we just went back to cleaning.The last was a milky doe and I couldn't be bothered cleaning it so I offered it to the fox, not interested, just sat there looking at it. I picked the doe up, skinned & gutted it and offered it again. The fox trotted forward, took the rabbit out of my hand, turned, smiled and winked at us and trotted of!
Yep,,,
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Browning » 20 May 2015, 4:41 pm

I reckon it's funny how often you make the shots that you shouldn't have, and miss the ones you REALLY should of made
Browning
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Fujix » 22 May 2015, 1:23 pm

RoginaJack wrote:The last was a milky doe and I couldn't be bothered cleaning it so I offered it to the fox, not interested, just sat there looking at it.

Picky bastards :lol:
Barrett M82 .50 calibre... Ok, not really :(
Fujix
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 23 May 2015, 6:40 pm

Yep, one with taste!
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Herdsman » 25 May 2015, 2:22 pm

Gwion wrote:Put ear muffs on while telling my self to reset the zero from 300 & 3MOA windage. Pointed the rifle out the window. Loaded a single round. Aimed square at the head, just behind the eye. Pulled the trigger. BANG. Rabbit runs off.

Told myself to reset zero b ut never took the caps off and did it. This was just this Saturday gone.

What a nonce! :problem:

I used to do that too... Have a lot of drop or wind dialled in after time at the range and instead of returning it to a normal 100m zero I tell my self I'll remember to do it next time because I can't be stuffed doing it now that I just want to pack up and go home.

Never remembered the next time though of course :lol:
Shepherding bullets down range.

Tikka Hunter Stainless Fluted 300 Win Mag
Tikka Battue Lite .308 Win
Tikka Varmint Stainless .222 Rem
Herdsman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Turkle » 26 May 2015, 2:57 pm

Herdsman wrote:Never remembered the next time though of course :lol:

And then when it's off you worry you've banged your scope and broken it :lol:
Tikka T3 Super Varmint - .22-250 Rem
Marlin XS7 - 7mm-08
Winchester 1902 - .22
Burris Eliminator / Weaver Super Slam
Turkle
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 26 May 2015, 5:04 pm

RoginaJack wrote:Two mates, John and Pat and me were spotting bunnies out Nymbioda way in NSW one night.Pulled up to clean them on the back of the land Rover and after awhile we could hear, "chop,chop' chew, chew" coming from behind us and almost at our feet.
Moved out of the light and there was Foxy Loxy cleaning up the offal.
All the rifles were locked away, so we just went back to cleaning.The last was a milky doe and I couldn't be bothered cleaning it so I offered it to the fox, not interested, just sat there looking at it. I picked the doe up, skinned & gutted it and offered it again. The fox trotted forward, took the rabbit out of my hand, turned, smiled and winked at us and trotted of!
Yep,,,

A little anecdote that I can add from a few years back when living in SA

I was out early one morn on a property that bounded a Blue Gum plantation.
All decked out in some new camo gear and moving slowly thru the remains of the mist.
I heard and saw a large number of crows flying about approx. 75 meters inside the bluegums And making a hell of a noise.
At about the same time a large wedgie came soaring across and landed on top of the nearest bluegum to me.

I froze so as not to frighten it, and just stood there admiring it,,, with the .22 hanging over my wrist on the pistol grip.
Suddenly I heard a rustling noise and saw movement out of the corner of my eye.

There was Brer Fox (he had ran out of the bluegums and straight through the boundary fence) with a large crow in his mouth still struggling.
He was making a hard job of it trying to hold it up off the ground.
He ran straight into my leg, and then disappeared into a heavy bank of bracken fern still dragging the crow.

It happened so quick that I didn't even get to lift the rifle,, let alone get a shot at him.
:oops: :oops: :oops:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by chacka » 27 May 2015, 3:46 pm

Die Judicii wrote:...and moving slowly thru the remains of the mist.

Was there a flute somewhere in the distance playing a melodic tune as well? :mrgreen:
More Than Just The Gun
chacka
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by tom604 » 27 May 2015, 5:03 pm

chacka wrote:

Was there a flute somewhere in the distance playing a melodic tune as well? :mrgreen:

more like the opening of dueling banjo's :twisted: :lol:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 27 May 2015, 8:40 pm

chacka wrote:

Oh yes,,,,,,,, now that you mention it,, there was.

YFI,,,,,,,,,,,

:lol:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by sally-bee » 01 Jun 2015, 2:58 pm

Die Judicii wrote:He ran straight into my leg, and then disappeared into a heavy bank of bracken fern still dragging the crow.

Maybe it's like banging a shell against a rock to open it, he thought he'd whack the bird into you to finish it off :lol:
sally-bee
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 01 Jun 2015, 6:12 pm

I missed a sambar for same reason once. 3006 was set up for cast projectiles and about 10" too high for my normal load. And just last week failed to get a shot off at a fox I whistled in. He spotted me very slowely raising the brmo. Ah well. Iguess he wont be the last.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Title_II » 01 Jun 2015, 9:24 pm

Do you hunt fox or are they a pest? Around here they are generally considered useful, appreciated, and hunted. Unless you have chickens or are trying to develop game birds in an area, in which case they are still "hunted" but with greater enthusiasm.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Gwion » 02 Jun 2015, 8:35 am

More pursued with extreme prejudice.

They are introduced and a real menace to native wildlife and live stock (during lambing, as sheep farming is big over here).

So, some people say they are fox hunting; mostly people will say they are fox shooting.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by sarki » 02 Jun 2015, 11:07 am

Title_II wrote:Do you hunt fox or are they a pest? Around here they are generally considered useful, appreciated, and hunted. Unless you have chickens or are trying to develop game birds in an area, in which case they are still "hunted" but with greater enthusiasm.

A pest in every sense of the word.
Dear Santa,
Please bring me a Desert Tactical Arms SRS-A1 Rifle in .338 Lapua Magnum.
I'll be good with it, I promise!
sarki
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by tom604 » 02 Jun 2015, 12:13 pm

we did have some idiots trying to keep them as pets :crazy: , Sydney fox rescue , but thankfully the government has shut them down :thumbsup:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by Wobble » 04 Jun 2015, 10:50 am

I vaguely remember something about someone wanting to desex and release them to "fix" the problems they cause too :roll:
Weatherby Vanguards in .300 Weatherby Magnum and .243 Winchester
Wobble
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Title_II » 06 Jun 2015, 12:27 pm

Wobble wrote:I vaguely remember something about someone wanting to desex and release them to "fix" the problems they cause too :roll:

Feed them Bruce Jenner Wheaties cereal!
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by tom604 » 07 Jun 2015, 8:20 pm

Wobble wrote:I vaguely remember something about someone wanting to desex and release them to "fix" the problems they cause too :roll:

catch, neuter, release. :crazy:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by Usurper » 09 Jun 2015, 10:14 am

Dunno about foxes but one of them definitely wanted to do that for feral cats.

Desex and release 20 million feral cats. Problem solved! :crazy: :sarcasm:
.308 CZ 550 American
.222 Tikka Varmint
.357 Mag Marlin 1894
Usurper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Next

Return to Camping, fishing and outdoor recreation