Fishing in the Daintree

Camping, fishing and outdoor recreational activities. Tips, equipment, accessories, hiking and outdoor cooking.

Fishing in the Daintree

Post by Gwion » 07 Sep 2015, 4:24 pm

Hey all.

Just got back from a couple of weeks up North. The wife was tired of the cold and insisted we go somewhere warm for a bit.

It was a cheap and cheerful trip in a little rented campervan. Unfortunately, funds didn't allow for any charters out to the reef so i was somewhat landlocked when it came to fishing. I had a few screaming runs off the rocks and that ended up in bust offs. Quite a few things with teeth around, so a number of bite offs as well.

There was nothing terribly exciting, such as mackral or GT, but i did manage my first ever Queenfish at about 50cm. No monster, but another fish on the wish list tagged.

We hired a couple of kyaks and did a paddle out to an island, not far off shore. Was too busy paddling to fish properly but saw turtles and dolphins and such.

Also took a wander out the mouth of the Daintree. Man, there were fish everywhere but i couldn't get past the stupid little stripies, except with a fresh whole fish, then it was grab, run, snappo! Managed a couple of whiting and flathead. Spent a lot of time scanning the crystal clear waters for big dark shadows, but managed to avoid being eaten by any swamp geckos.

Still, did have some fun on my surf outfit, off the beach. First time it's been on anything larger than a medium sized Oz Salmon. Was very impressed with how it stood up to the largest shovel nose i've ever seen; actually didn't think they got this big.

If anyone can give me a positive ID on the shark in the night time pic, i'd be keen to know. My guess was a bronze whaler, but i'm not really familiar with fishes from up that way.

Anyway. I'm looking forward to another chance to get up that way with some more cash in my pocket to get some time on a boat.

PICS BELOW:

Daintree night shark.jpg
So... Bronze Whaler or not???
Daintree night shark.jpg (181.81 KiB) Viewed 3461 times

Daintree under load.jpg
The Thunderstick stood up very well under full load and a few protracted battles that went on for 20mins or more....
Daintree under load.jpg (190.16 KiB) Viewed 3461 times

Daintree big Shovel Nose.jpg
Maybe not a trophy species, but this is the biggest Shovel Nose i have eve seen and the biggest thing i've dragged in with a surf rod.
Daintree big Shovel Nose.jpg (262.77 KiB) Viewed 3461 times
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Re: Fishing Daintree

Post by headspace » 07 Sep 2015, 5:09 pm

That's a big shoveller mate, I've fished up there in the river itself, there was a big croc on the bank about 100m up from the ramp and we saw heaps on the way down the river. I'll be taking my trailer boat up there in December. Great country. If you go again and want some real freshwater fun try some of the little feeder streams further inland for Jungle Perch. I had a brilliant day on them one trip. A mate and I hooked and released around 30 and all on surface lures.
JD
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 07 Sep 2015, 5:21 pm

Hey JD. Thanks for the tip on the jungle perch. I should have got into the little streams because i took a heap of appropriate lures and a nice little 2-4kg outfit, but i got obsessed with trying to get onto a Mack or something. Next time, for sure.

Good luck in Dec, but it would be a bit wet and wild for me at that time of the year. Lived in Townsville for a few months from Jan to April back in about 2000.... too bloody humid for me.

Was tempted to drive and take my little trailer boat but the cost of ferry from tas plus fuel just didn't make sense when air fares are so cheap these days. Maybe next time. Would have been great to have a boat on calm days just to access for structure and be dragging fish away from rocks, instead of toward them.

Good fun, but; even if frustrating!

You're right.... very nice part of the world to hang out for a time.... might have to do the Cape York thing next time and allow a month or so for the trip.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Title_II » 07 Sep 2015, 7:44 pm

Looks like a lot of fun!

"I had a few screaming runs off the rocks and that ended up in bust offs. Quite a few things with teeth around, so a number of bite offs as well."

^Can somebody tell me what all that means? Thanks :)
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by headspace » 08 Sep 2015, 9:33 pm

Title_II wrote:Looks like a lot of fun!

"I had a few screaming runs off the rocks and that ended up in bust offs. Quite a few things with teeth around, so a number of bite offs as well."

A translation is in order; A "screaming run" means the reel was peeling off line and making that noise that most fishers like. A "bust off" means the fish now owns your lure, often because it got into some snags or a rock or just bit through the line. Same as a "bite off". Off the rocks" means he was shore based fishing , no boat. That often makes it harder to control a big fish with equally large teeth.
JD
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by deye243 » 08 Sep 2015, 11:15 pm

that shark looks more the school shark we catch over the back beach here as the

top of the tail ain't long (from center of tail to the top fluke) enough for a bronzey .

any way nex time have a look at the nose with a torch under and look at the nose

from above and on a schooly it will seem transparent and on a bronzey no light will

get through .
Last edited by deye243 on 08 Sep 2015, 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Title_II » 08 Sep 2015, 11:38 pm

headspace wrote:
Title_II wrote:Looks like a lot of fun!

A translation is in order; A "screaming run" means the reel was peeling off line and making that noise that most fishers like. A "bust off" means the fish now owns your lure, often because it got into some snags or a rock or just bit through the line. Same as a "bite off". Off the rocks" means he was shore based fishing , no boat. That often makes it harder to control a big fish with equally large teeth.
JD

Thank you :)
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Gwion » 09 Sep 2015, 9:46 am

deye243 wrote:that shark looks more the school shark we catch over the back beach here as the

top of the tail ain't long (from center of tail to the top fluke) enough for a bronzey .

any way nex time have a look at the nose with a torch under and look at the nose

from above and on a schooly it will seem transparent and on a bronzey no light will

get through .

Thanks for that. Interesting note with the torch... wasn't so keen to poke around the toothy end too much! :huh: :lol:

I have a good fish book or two here, i'll try to get a positive ID. The other candidate was a Nurse, but there were also a few things that didn't fit..... anyway, it got to swim off to munch another day.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by deye243 » 09 Sep 2015, 7:27 pm

narh mate nothing like a nurse you should have run the knife through it them schoolies are one of the best eating sharks better than gummy

and only beaten buy mako but thats just my opinion
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 09 Sep 2015, 8:23 pm

I was thinking it would be tasty.... would have had trouble eating it all between the two of us, and i don't think it would fit in the fry pan in the little camper van! :lol:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Prettybird » 10 Sep 2015, 11:16 am

deye243 wrote:narh mate nothing like a nurse you should have run the knife through it them schoolies are one of the best eating sharks better than gummy

That's what they sell in fish and chip shops as flake?
Prettybird
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by deye243 » 10 Sep 2015, 3:17 pm

yeah after it's been sitting in a brine tank for up to 3 weeks try a fresh bit of

school shark it leaves the shop stuff for dead .

down here they mostly use gummy as flake .
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Berper » 11 Sep 2015, 1:35 pm

Call it what you will, flake/shark tastes good to me.

Calling it 'shark' on the fish shop board probably puts people off :roll:
Berper
Private
Private

Tasmania

Return to Camping, fishing and outdoor recreation