Anyone DIY meat smoker?

Camping, fishing and outdoor recreational activities. Tips, equipment, accessories, hiking and outdoor cooking.

Re: Anyone DIY meat smoker?

Post by Farmerpete » 26 Jan 2020, 6:10 pm

Be careful about what materials you use for the smoker you don't want the smoke to transfer chemicals from treated timber or galvanized sheet metal to your meat. A simple fix is to line everything with alfoil or stainless
Farmerpete
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Faedy » 26 Jan 2020, 10:41 pm

Ive got a Hark offset smoker.
Great unit that pumps the food out.
Faedy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Ziggy » 27 Jan 2020, 9:19 pm

Tried all containers available for hot smoking, galvanised 44's, Stainless kegs, hand welded units, as well as electric commercial units and gas units, by far the easiest I have used are gas units, temperature control is a little fiddly until you get used to it, but after that, a breeze, I also use a meat thermometer, set for the meat temperature, they are cheap. I use apple wood chips for pork and fish, with apple juice or cider as the liquid in the moisture pan. I have done heaps of pork hams as well as venison hams, bloody beautiful. I found the internal temp for a hams is best at 68 c, not the 72c recommended, lovely and moist.
Smoked a lot of Yellow belly with apple wood as well, just the best.
Hickory is good for beef as are some oz hard woods. I bought a HARK for $200, worth it for me.
Ziggy
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Previous

Return to Camping, fishing and outdoor recreation