Anyone DIY meat smoker?

Camping, fishing and outdoor recreational activities. Tips, equipment, accessories, hiking and outdoor cooking.

Re: Anyone DIY meat smoker?

Post by juststarting » 22 Jan 2017, 4:35 pm

I said that lol
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 22 Jan 2017, 6:33 pm

I like homemade stuff. Id rather build than buy if I can, more satisfying for me. I also like the Teepee type ones that some build, they seem to work well for diff applications (the one I saw being used was for tanning skins from memory).

You'll have to take some pics next time you smoke something in yours - would be good to see it in action.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by juststarting » 22 Jan 2017, 10:44 pm

bigfellascott wrote:I like homemade stuff. Id rather build than buy if I can, more satisfying for me. I also like the Teepee type ones that some build, they seem to work well for diff applications (the one I saw being used was for tanning skins from memory).

You'll have to take some pics next time you smoke something in yours - would be good to see it in action.

Here you go.

http://myshootingjourney.com/2016/02/10/just-because/
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 23 Jan 2017, 5:41 am

Not bad, I'd love to see a big chunk of meat smoked - like they do in "Man v's Meat" some of that stuff looks absolutely sensational I reckon.

Well done mate, keep on a smokin! :clap:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Oldbloke » 23 Jan 2017, 1:13 pm

I reckon an old SS beer keg would make a good one.
But for hot smoking almost any metal container with a small smoky fire & racks in side will do the job.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 23 Jan 2017, 1:22 pm

Mate of mine has started making some awesome smokers. The tucker is pretty good too! I should get some picks to post.

Currently in the middle of doing a whole bunch of landscaping here and wondering how badly i need to incorporate the smoker i had planned.

The idea is an old cast water tank that another mate has sitting around, put racks and hangers inside, set it on a stone base so i can build a fire under it and use it as both a hot smoker and an outdoor slow roaster....... hmmmm... duck......
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by juststarting » 23 Jan 2017, 4:50 pm

bigfellascott wrote:Not bad, I'd love to see a big chunk of meat smoked - like they do in "Man v's Meat" some of that stuff looks absolutely sensational I reckon.

I've done a 5kg pork shoulder recently... It's actually a lot more forgiving, than the ribs. Ribs are pretty easy to mess up. Large chunk of meat is easy. Also what you do, is pop a container with, in my case, apple juice on the bottom to keep the meat moist (lol). And catch the fat. Once it's done, you can pour the fat back in to make it a bit more juicy if need be...
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 23 Jan 2017, 5:55 pm

juststarting wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:Not bad, I'd love to see a big chunk of meat smoked - like they do in "Man v's Meat" some of that stuff looks absolutely sensational I reckon.

I've done a 5kg pork shoulder recently... It's actually a lot more forgiving, than the ribs. Ribs are pretty easy to mess up. Large chunk of meat is easy. Also what you do, is pop a container with, in my case, apple juice on the bottom to keep the meat moist (lol). And catch the fat. Once it's done, you can pour the fat back in to make it a bit more juicy if need be...

Sounds good to me :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by zobster » 23 May 2017, 10:44 am

I'm lazy, I just used my gas BBQ, had 2 outside burners on, food placed in the middle on a rack so smoke circulates. Wood chips soaked over night placed into a foil pouch with holes poked into it, placed directly onto one of the burners and you'll have a smoker. Change the pouch every hour or so, or make bigger pouches.
zobster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by scoobs » 23 May 2017, 11:15 am

Oldbloke wrote:I reckon an old SS beer keg would make a good one.
But for hot smoking almost any metal container with a small smoky fire & racks in side will do the job.

they work great. im in the process of making one or 3 at the moment
Tikka t3x super lite stainless .308/Nikon M-308 4-16x42 BDC-800.
Tikka T3X varmint stainless 22-250/Bushnell Trophy Extreme 6-24x50.
Lithgow LA101 22LR/bushnell rimfire 3-12x40
Adler a110 12Ga 20" tactical.
scoobs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Tiger650 » 25 Jan 2020, 9:21 am

Being an efficient chap [lazy bustard] I smoke with a off the shelf gas smoker, keep an eye on Evilbay, the medium size cabinet smokers sometimes appear new at half the $250.00 odd retail cost.
Many are badge engineered, 'zact same smoker retailed from different sources, Aldi occasionally sells them, go with the two door minimum.
Temp control was an issue, tiny adjustments of the standard rotary dial = huge temp variation, I fitted a 1/8" needle valve on low pressure [downstream] side of the pressure regulator, still sensitive but very workable, texta mark on the needle valve at 12 O'clock [smoking temp] allows correct adjustment after 180 deg dial up to get smoke happening.
I use 50/50 Redgum chips and Mesquite chips [not chunks] to reduce costs [tight lazy bustard].
Reason for chips is that the Yanks reckon most smoke is taken up early in the process, chunks smoke less for longer with diminishing returns later in the cook.
Also I riveted a piece of allot plate over one of the three vents, works for me.
Chooks are excellent after a couple of hours, I have a good chunk of topside to do today and reckon on 6 hrs @ around 120 deg C.
Often I roll the tucker in "rub" the evening prior to smoking, mine comes from USA Foods in Moorabbin but Weber Premium dealers also stock that brand.
Having a stubbie whilst running the smoker over a 6 hour cook can result in significant but temporary reduction of speech lucidity and gross motor skills LOL.
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Potatoes » 26 Jan 2020, 12:13 am

A standard 22inch weber kettle makes a good smoker if rigged right. Not strictly DIY though. I also got a pitmaster iq120 stoker which keeps the temperature at whatever i set it to. They will fith most charcoal barbies and smokers, and once you’ve used one you won’t go back. I put a brisket on for 12hours at 105C and only open the lid to add charcoal and baste the meat with a mop sauce. Favourite woods are cherry for chicken, apple or pecan for pork, and pecan for beef. If i had to make one from stratch, id get the biggest steel drum i could find. Space is a premium.
Potatoes
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Farmerpete » 26 Jan 2020, 6:10 pm

Be careful about what materials you use for the smoker you don't want the smoke to transfer chemicals from treated timber or galvanized sheet metal to your meat. A simple fix is to line everything with alfoil or stainless
Farmerpete
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Faedy » 26 Jan 2020, 10:41 pm

Ive got a Hark offset smoker.
Great unit that pumps the food out.
Faedy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Ziggy » 27 Jan 2020, 9:19 pm

Tried all containers available for hot smoking, galvanised 44's, Stainless kegs, hand welded units, as well as electric commercial units and gas units, by far the easiest I have used are gas units, temperature control is a little fiddly until you get used to it, but after that, a breeze, I also use a meat thermometer, set for the meat temperature, they are cheap. I use apple wood chips for pork and fish, with apple juice or cider as the liquid in the moisture pan. I have done heaps of pork hams as well as venison hams, bloody beautiful. I found the internal temp for a hams is best at 68 c, not the 72c recommended, lovely and moist.
Smoked a lot of Yellow belly with apple wood as well, just the best.
Hickory is good for beef as are some oz hard woods. I bought a HARK for $200, worth it for me.
Ziggy
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Next

Return to Camping, fishing and outdoor recreation