How should one store a rifle and ammo while camping?

Camping, fishing and outdoor recreational activities. Tips, equipment, accessories, hiking and outdoor cooking.

How should one store a rifle and ammo while camping?

Post by Tomek » 07 Mar 2016, 10:39 am

I am curious how people store their guns and ammo when camping or travelling.

If you're camping right next to your car, it may be simple. Just separately inside the car and attached by wire. However, what if you're camping somewhere further out where there is no car access or ~1k away from the nearest carpark? Do you cuff it to your leg? haha

Or how about if you're staying in a motel? Would keeping it in your car be acceptable then? Or perhaps there are gun friendly motels with gun safes?

Thanks,
Tomek
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: How should one store a rifle and ammo while camping?

Post by AusTac » 07 Mar 2016, 11:23 am

You need to lug around your safe, and bolt it to a permenantly fixed tree, or make sure it weights over 150 kg
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by southeast varmiter » 07 Mar 2016, 12:01 pm

AusTac wrote:You need to lug around your safe, and bolt it to a permenantly fixed tree, or make sure it weights over 150 kg

Don't forget to update LRD as to storage location.
southeast varmiter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 07 Mar 2016, 12:21 pm

Lock it in the boot.... or if no boot then in the cabin out of sight. If no car then you best sleep on it. literally. ;)

The storage requirements remain regardless of where the firearm is located.
Last edited by <<Genesis93>> on 07 Mar 2016, 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by No1Mk3 » 07 Mar 2016, 12:48 pm

G'day Tomek,
Keep your ammo in your pack, and the rifle in a soft case either in the swag/sleeping bag or at least right next to you. As for motels, take it in to your room and put it under the bed or in the wardrobe, if you leave the room, lock it in the car out of sight. Because you are traveling, take a trigger lock with you. Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 07 Mar 2016, 12:59 pm

Trigger lock is good, Remove bolt and store locked with the ammo. If stashing in a motel room then put your car keys in the bag so there's no chance of forgetting the rifle for the maid to find. If way out bush then unloaded, in bed with the muzzle down, in the car then it should be outta sight with ammo stored and locked up separately.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Tomek » 07 Mar 2016, 1:06 pm

Thanks for the replies guys. Looking forward to making use of them.
Tomek
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by happyhunter » 07 Mar 2016, 1:29 pm

Seriously, dude, this is a question that shows just how too many rules is f---king with people's heads. Just keep the rifle somewhere where it won't be knocked over, fall over or stepped on, or rained on, etc. I'd be more concerned with keeping it dry and in good working condition during a trip.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by sandgroperbill » 07 Mar 2016, 2:13 pm

Attach it by bike lock/chain to an angry german shephard tied to a tree. Find a branch from a prickle bush and rectally insert into said german shephard.

That should be safe enough.
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by sandgroperbill » 07 Mar 2016, 2:15 pm

On a serious note, case or bag with a padlock, trigger lock and ammo and bolt in a separate locked container, all kept in the boot or cabin out of sight or in your tent.

And make sure it is all locked up before you break open the beer
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by brett1868 » 07 Mar 2016, 2:22 pm

And make sure it is all locked up before you break open the beer

So how do you open the beer ? Thinking back to the Simpsons episode where Homer gets a gun :D
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Tomek » 07 Mar 2016, 2:50 pm

happyhunter wrote:Seriously, dude, this is a question that shows just how too many rules is f---king with people's heads. Just keep the rifle somewhere where it won't be knocked over, fall over or stepped on, or rained on, etc. I'd be more concerned with keeping it dry and in good working condition during a trip.

I hear you. Australia is a nanny state where many laws punish the peaceful law-abiding people because of a few stupid ones featured in media scare campaigns, or elite wealthy. I'm sure this has been discussed many times here. Sucks.. but it's not too bad in this case. Not hard to keep a gun and ammo separate and secure. And judging by the queue for attending the firearm safety course (3 months in my area), there's heaps of potential hunters for the relative small amount of hunting spots. We wouldn't want more would we? They are more likely to ban us outright than expand hunting to national park areas for example.
Tomek
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Hucka » 10 Mar 2016, 1:17 pm

If you car suits (4x4, big boot, whatever) with enough room you could do a suitable site padlocked steel toolbox. Chain/mount to some point in the cabin if it'll give you peace of mind.

Good for popping into the station out of sight of the car for a minute or while asleep at the camp site with it next to you.

Never leave in the car if you're in a motel room though. Stolen car = stolen gun = you in the s**t.
Hucka
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by Title_II » 13 Mar 2016, 1:17 am

Trigger lock and remove the bolt? It's just a gun. I'm pretty sure you are not going to wake up and shoot yourself.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by sandgroperbill » 13 Mar 2016, 1:21 am

Nope, but don't wanna get done for improper storage.
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Title_II » 13 Mar 2016, 1:52 am

I thought storage was about preventing theft. How can a trigger lock and removing a bolt prevent theft?
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 13 Mar 2016, 6:19 am

No. Its about preventing use, or more so making use more difficult and cumbersome .
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by happyhunter » 13 Mar 2016, 6:20 am

Title_II wrote:Trigger lock and remove the bolt? It's just a gun. I'm pretty sure you are not going to wake up and shoot yourself.

ROTFL.. I usually just lay my rifle down beside me in the tent before going to sleep. When I wake up I give it a hug :D
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Title_II » 13 Mar 2016, 8:25 am

happyhunter wrote:
Title_II wrote:Trigger lock and remove the bolt? It's just a gun. I'm pretty sure you are not going to wake up and shoot yourself.

ROTFL.. I usually just lay my rifle down beside me in the tent before going to sleep. When I wake up I give it a hug :D

Try bringing a woman :)

Although if I had to choose...
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 13 Mar 2016, 8:46 am

Title_II wrote:
happyhunter wrote:

Try bringing a woman :)

Although if I had to choose...

Thats why your buddies no longer go camping with you hey.....ever since the 'incident' :friends: :allegedly: :D :thumbsup: :silent:
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Title_II » 13 Mar 2016, 8:51 am

Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 13 Mar 2016, 9:46 am

classic movie...

like the politician who responds an accusation by stating the "rumours were never proven...." :lol:
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by adam » 13 Mar 2016, 10:24 am

It's interesting that we have all these laws and regulations, and very little to nil information from the Government on how to actually deal with situations like this...

Almost as though this question is too difficult for the legislators who make the rules to even answer for themselves...

For instance, what does one do when staying at a motel room and wanting to go out for a meal for the evening? Store in the car, or motel room?

The only thing that seems to be clear is that if the firearms do get stolen, regardless of how many precautions one has taken - it's still your fault and you can be charged.
adam
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 13 Mar 2016, 12:07 pm

I just rest it up against a tree. :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Vati » 17 Mar 2016, 1:32 pm

Our Greens would have you believe there are gangs of Bikies roaming the wilderness stealing guns off us left, right and centre :roll:
Reach out and touch...
Vati
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Vati » 17 Mar 2016, 1:38 pm

brett1868 wrote:So how do you open the beer ? Thinking back to the Simpsons episode where Homer gets a gun :D

And you need some way to change channels on the TV when you lose the remote too.
Reach out and touch...
Vati
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Title_II » 17 Mar 2016, 10:14 pm

Vati wrote:Our Greens would have you believe there are gangs of Bikies roaming the wilderness stealing guns off us left, right and centre :roll:

Then you should have it ready to go. But I am probably preaching to the choir.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Blackened » 07 Apr 2016, 4:11 pm

Vati wrote:Our Greens would have you believe there are gangs of Bikies roaming the wilderness stealing guns off us left, right and centre :roll:

Now the law has stuck it to Sydney Fox Rescue maybe they can redirect their efforts to rehoming those feral bikies :sarcasm:
Blackened

New South Wales

Post by southeast varmiter » 07 Apr 2016, 7:01 pm

Or better yet, rock up at a state forest to be yelled at by "children of the earth" that hunting is forbidden
southeast varmiter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by gazza » 07 Apr 2016, 7:05 pm

In the same place you would store anything else that size you didn't want stolen, wet or misused.
gazza
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Next

Return to Camping, fishing and outdoor recreation